Should I upgrade to VPI Classic 4 or Classic 3?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by j3brow, Mar 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j3brow

j3brow Forum Resident Thread Starter

I will be upgrading my turntable in very near future. Currently , I have a VPI Scoutmaster 10.5i arm with Classic Aluminum platter, ring clamp, center weight, and SDS. Benz LP-S cart. I have been with current table since Feb 2007. I cannot audition these tables locally. I'm set on sticking with VPI and moving up the line. My Scoutmaster will traded in toward the new Classic.

With trade in, I'm looking at about 7k for C4 and 3.5K for C3. Leaning towards C4 for larger plinth to further suppress motor vibration and the benefit of the 12 inch arm. I will only need 1 tonearm. Don't like look of both arms installed. It will be a 3D arm. C3 for 2015 is now called Classic Signature and comes with the 3D as standard.

The C4 will just barely fit on top shelf of my rack but will require removal of VPIs.feet and placement of stillpoints ultra SS feet. My system components are on Stillpoints already.

Read Roy Gregory's review of C4. He felt it was worthwhile better than C3. He also mentions using stillpoints SS to replace VPI feet

I see tommytunes likes his new C4.

Any thoughts? What would you do? Is C3 all one REALLY needs???????? Is C4 guilding the lily??? c3 will fit perfectly on top rack.

2. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

What would I do? Well....... I just traded in my Classic 1 for a Classic 3 and I was very impressed with the improvement! HW says that he feels the best table that they make now is the Classic 3 with the 3D arm, or Classic Signature if you use the 2015 name for that setup.

I looked into the cost of the C4, but it isn't worth it (for me) unless you have a second arm. It is a large step up in price and according to my dealer, he didn't feel it improved enough to justify the price difference. He feels they are almost equal.

So, for me, I'm very happy with my setup, but will upgrade to the 3D arm at some point down the road. However, if you have the funds, it may make you happy. To each his own . I would spend the difference on upgrading the cartridge.

3. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I have the C4 and think that the additional weight (and it is very heavy) reduces motor noise. I like the 12" arm although i never had the 10" 3D for comparison. If you can't use the VPI feet because of the size i'm not sure i would go with it.
    I had an Aries 3 and can firmly say that i have no issues with my sub feeding back like it did with the Aries. If you have an SDS make sure you get the HRX pulley and a second belt it makes a nice difference.
    It's a long story but i had no intention of buying a table, i was happy with both my Avid Acutus Ref and Aries but the C4 kind of fell in my lap. After now living with it for two months, i would buy it in a heartbeat, it's that good.
    I only wish that there was an acrylic mat, i hate putting a record on the bare platter and the VPI mat just makes the table look cheap.

4. j3brow

j3brow Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you gentlemen for your input. Tommy, good to read how impressed you are with the C4. Your other table isn't too shabby either, huh?

5. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Don,

I'm curious if you tried using the C3 arm on your C1 table before swapping it? I wonder how much comes from the table or the arm. Did you go with a different cartridge with the new table too? While the VTA tower is nice to have I've found that once I had it dialed in I never play with it. The difference is sound is so insignificant between different weight records I really chalk it up to imagination. Both the Classic 1 and 3 have the 1/8 (11 gauge) steel plate, 2 1/2" MDF, just the aluminum plate is the difference 1/2" vs 1/4"? Guessing, I'd need to measure mine to be sure.

The only differences between the C2 and C3 are the arm (not 3D), thickness of aluminum plate, and feet. Those three cause the retail price to rise from $3500 to $6000.

I've noticed that even with having a ML Descent sub in close proximity and cranked there was nothing that the C2 picked up from it (sub was moved for this for testing purposes) .

6. GaryM

GaryM New Member

I love the sound of my Classic 3 . The manual could be better . Does anybody know how to lube it . I am hoping that will get rid of the some times quite loud noise I hear when playing 45s t t t t t . I have baby powdered the belt .

thanks for any help and sorry if this is off topic

7. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Remove the arm and place the plinth someplace you can easily remove the platter. Lift the platter straight off. Clean the bearing (paper towels and alcohol help) and shaft and apply a small amount to the bearing and a tiny bit on the shaft. Replace your platter and back in business.

You don't have to use anything fancy. Lucas white lithium will work great on it. Should be performed once a year. There are more expensive greases but this is fine and cost $4.58 a tube. Pretty much several lifetimes worth in the tube.

Not sure what sound your referring to but if your hearing a noise at 45rpm and not 33rpm I doubt its the bearing, but it doesn't hurt to try this.

8. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

I didn't try the arm from the Classic 3 on the Classic 1, although that would have been an interesting comparison. There is a substantial increase in price going up to the Classic 3 and my dealer made the trade in as painless as possible. I didn't think that I could afford the jump up, but he wanted to have a new Prime on display, so he sold me his demo Clasic 3, which hardly had any hours on it.

VTA is one of the reasons that I had ahead of time for the upgrade. So far I haven't played with it yet as I have made other changes in the system that I want to get used to before assessing the effect of VTA on sound quality on the Classic 3.

I'm using the same cartridge on both tables; a Dynavector DV20X2 Lo. The Classic 3 really has been a joy to listen to. To improve upon this table I would have to spend a lot of money and even if I could afford that, I don't have any desire to. I'm tempted to upgrade my cartridge at some point, but that is it.

9. Jim Lankin

Jim Lankin New Member

If you are still looking for the 3D upgrade I may have a very interesting option for you on a new classic signature with the JMW 10 3D arm ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.