Should The Beatles' A Hard Day's Night Be Colorized for a New Generation To Enjoy?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 2141, Oct 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Add a scene? To It's A Wonderful Life? Never. That would dramatically change the experience of the movie. No way.

2. schnitzerphilip

Outstanding. Mic drop right there.

2141 likes this.
  3. schnitzerphilip

[​IMG]

I think this would be the best approach for Help.

Note that black and white photos come to life when colorized; especially this one. Meet The Beatles looks good colorized as well, much more exciting that way.

2141 likes this.
  4. DrProgQuest

DrProgQuest Forum Resident

Way to confirm your illogical hypocrisy schnizterdoodle.

5. schnitzerphilip

You mean just like how you like the colorful remixes of Sgt. Pepper 50th Super Deluxe but eschew the idea of a colorized Hard Days Night? And here I thought we were finally reaching a comfortable middle ground.

6. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

No! People today should suffer black and white film just like we had to.:wiggle:

JG

2141 likes this.
  7. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

Duh...it was a joke.
    It was my version of how I think of a colorized It's A Wonderful Life. It changes the tonal quality of the film. Any film.

8. let him run...

Yes...it should be red, then sacrificed jolly with a knife.

9. let him run...

Two very different animals. The Pepper remix is quite subtle. A visual change is considerably more readily apparent than a change in sound. Most fans would probably need a moment or two to recognize the remix from the previous mix. There's nothing subtle about a black and white film being colorized.

DrProgQuest likes this.
  10. 2141

2141 Forum Resident Thread Starter

LOL :winkgrin:

schnitzerphilip likes this.
  11. let him run...

12. let him run...

Can't fathom why you think that looks good! If someone went through the trouble to add color to this thing, you'd think they might have looked at what color the Meet the Beatles LP jacket actually is. Also an odd choice to not to have made the flames the color of fire. After all, the main idea of this picture is to show the burning of Beatles records.
    But, it is nice that you found such a great example of what's wrong with colorization. And this is a still! It should have been much easier to color a still, instead of something that's moving.

13. let him run...

Then I'd say you haven't seen 3D presented properly. Non film aficionado Martin Scorsese made a masterful 3D film, "Hugo" a few years ago. Visually stunning. One of the things he did that was a bit unusual was to create depth going into the screen, most effects in 3D are things coming to you. I found it very effective to pull the audience into the scene.
    It's also worth noting that some hack named Hitchcock shot a film in 3D. But, what do they know about film? I guess you might think they didn't know what they were doing when they shot in black and white, even though color was the norm. So unimaginative to film in black and white, when they could have had the fun of color!

MielR likes this.
  14. MielR

MielR THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jeez...I never noticed before that white people all have the exact same skin color! :D

Man at C&A likes this.
  15. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

A Hard Day's Night is art and so is Bullitt, albeit on different levels and for different reasons. Noted film critic Andrew Sarris described A Hard Day’s Night “the Citizen Kane of Jukebox musical” which is high praise. Even you should be capable of appreciating that if you put your mind to it. Richard Lester's direction was the work of an auteur (savvy?). His work should be respected as it was filmed, without the snarky schnitzerisms.

:cheers:
    Cat

MielR likes this.
  16. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

>Should The Beatles' A Hard Day's Night Be Colourised for a New Generation To Enjoy?

Yes. It could look quite good (with me art-directing)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. schnitzerphilip

I did it myself on a website that demos colorization tech, took all of 10 seconds.

ColouriseSG

The online demo doesn’t understand Meet The Beatles. When Peter Jackson takes on A Hard Days Night for its $50,000,000 payday breaking his own colorized WWI film record, he’ll get it right.

18. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

It’s AI color, a real colourization artist can do far better

2141 likes this.
  19. schnitzerphilip

Cat Con, I'm the biggest Hard Days Night fan in this thread, I'm the one trying to keep it alive and interesting for myself and future generations.

I know you're a performer, and this may not be easy for you to hear, but not every effort made by a musician or director is "art". That's rarefied air. That's that little 1% zone at the tippy top of the medium. In the world's archive of recorded music, A Hard Days Night is art, it was a landmark LP. In the world's archive of produced motion pictures, A Hard Days Night is not art, it was a fun money grab.

20. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

He was a director too.

21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Why are people still bothering with him? His transparent attempts to troll get more and more desperate!

BeatleJWOL and MielR like this.
  22. Exotiki

Cause why not

23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Why not engage the troll? :confused:

24. Exotiki

What’s the worst that can happen, it’s kind of amusing

25. let him run...

Yes and a writer. But, the idea behind any of it was for the camera to be pointed at himself.
    Although, he began in silent films. He worked well into the advent of color. But, even into the era of color, the films he directed, he chose to film in black and white. Obviously as a pioneer filmmaker, the lions share of his work was done in b&w. His most famous and genius work was done in the silent era. Even with the advent of sound, his work was still for all to see, pretty much silent. As a writer/director, he didn't write jokes, he wrote gags.
    Much like Hitchcock, as he transitioned into talkies, a great deal of the story was still told by the strong imagery of what was seen on the screen. It continued that way all throughout his career. With very few exceptions, his films were not dialog driven. Even as late as "Vertigo", there were long scenes of no dialog whatsoever.
    But, I'm not sure of your point. I'm guessing in your what if, fantasyland of color cameras in the silent era, he'd have shot in color. Most directors who have had the choice, have chosen to shoot both, in black and white and color. With reasons for each.
    But, it should be said that when given the choice as director, Keaton never directed himself in a color film, save once. But, it was a film where he was not the star.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.