Should we close our Audio Hardware section, yes or no?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommytune

tommytune Forum Resident

For the last two months I have been busy reading threads found using the search feature that I have not yet covered many topics in Audio Hardware. Please leave it open.

2. Rmac58

Rmac58 Member

My vote goes to keeping it open.

Being here just a short time, I have learned much and look forward to my continuing education.

Those that enjoy stirring the pot will find a way.

3. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

it's still funny that, even in this day in age, people who are offended by any type of controversy STILL resort to attempting to silence those who are creating the controversy. being offended is part of life...these people need to get over it.

4. GT40sc

GT40sc Senior Member

please don't close it down.
    where will I live...?

peace to all,

5. Mikey679

Mikey679 Forum Resident

I vote to leave it open as well, there is a lot of great information in this section of the forum. I've learned quite a bit and enjoy reading about new gear(and old gear!), whether it be speakers, turntables, cartridges, cables, amps, pre-amps, tubes, etc. As others have said, the good outweighs the bad.

6. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

What if I was allowed to create a hardware forum "Sticky" about perception and all that stuff in exchange for never posting on another cable, outlet or cord discussion ever again??

(( now im worried Steve H. might take me up on it..lol..))

7. Philimon

Philimon Member

Open two separate sub-forums, one for objectivists and another for subjectivists. The rule for the objectivist forum would require that logic be applied to all posts, and the subjectivist forum would be opposite of that.

8. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I vote for it to stay open. Let's not "punish" everyone by closing it for everyone because of the actions of a few. Jeez, this sounds like they something would do where I work.

9. Paranoid_Android

Paranoid_Android Forum Resident

Please don't close it, I just joined SH Forums and have really enjoyed it. If every forum was closed bc of members bitching, then forums wouldn't exist.

10. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Leave it open, lots of great information gets discussed and the system pics are always great to see - it's easy enough to tune out the repeat offenders.

11. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I guess we know which side you're on. :laugh:

12. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

Why would anyone ask that it be closed? If certain folks can't deal with the discussions that take place there, don't read them. It's really that simple.

The nerve of some people...

Edit: rational people should be able to disagree rationally. I learn more from one discussion with someone with whom I disagree than a thousand conversations that mirror my views. But you have to be open-minded enough to listen to what they are saying to, and accept the possibility that you might wrong (slighty, or greatly) about something, perhaps something you previous believed very much in.

13. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

I voted to keep it open. And I would vote for Steve to give Kevin his own sticky. :)

14. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

IM guessing he's gonna either ban me or say he doesnt negotiate with terrorists..:D

15. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Yep, Sticky for you.

16. OldCoder

OldCoder Well-Known Member In Memoriam

Steve, please keep the hardware section open. As you stated, there are a few folks who are stirring up trouble. Meanwhile there are many more learning, or helping others learn and others just comparing notes in the hope of saving some money by making fewer missteps.

Like so much of this site, it is almost unique on the internet.
    And very much worth saving.

If some have been offended enough to want it closed, perhaps the incident should be reviewed by a Gort, and noted as a negative on a public profile. Better to warn, maybe embarass someone without manners that shut down the home of so much gear knowledge.

17. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

That's a constructive suggestion. Not posting in another cable, outlet, cord, interconnect, IEC, binding post, RCA jack, capacitor, resistor, tube rolling, power conditioning, amp, preamp, tt, stylus, tonearm, cdp, speaker, acoustic treatment, component stand, etc can help keep such threads focused with posts from members who have tried the device, or from members that have questions to ask about the device from those who have tried them.

18. JLorenzo

JLorenzo Forum Resident

I vote for keeping it open.

19. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Sorry.. that's not very helpful or necessary to snipe at him that way. I think it's brave of him to be in this thread and to offer possible solutions. His (and other's) off-thread posts aren't the only problems lately with the hardware forum...

Anyway, I humbly proposed (post 37) a separate forum to allow these types of discussions, in the hopes that 1) people could discuss these issues that are obviously important to them, and do contain value, and 2) hardware discussions don't get clogged up with debates on perception/value/wealth/etc.

20. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

But then it would have to go the opposite way also.

All the comments about some listeners having "low resolution systems etc" could not be made either. Ive seen many post about lower to mid priced stuff and admit they never heard it, but they are "Certain its not Hi-Fi or highly revealing"

Besides how long would ANY post last if only comments from owners could be made?

Nice attempt at humor though....(( hopefully )):cheers:

21. direwolf-pgh

direwolf-pgh Well-Known Member

I enjoy kevins posts too :thumbsup: he speaks his mind

.. but what im really curious about is which grown men were so butthurt that a forum closing was requested.
    please speak up.. Many of us are dying to hear about it!

22. Keep it open, as long as this Forum rule is enforced:

2) In a similiar manner, just as you may not post DBT thread-craps, the inverse is also prohibited: for example, saying "enough of the scientific clap-trap - just trust your ears!".

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=278682

23. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Yes I cause my share of arguments, but the difference is, im NEVER rude, use bad language or simply made snide comments like "Cables suck"

A lot of the anger comes from me saying something that is well thought out, maybe repetitive for sure, and several jump ON ME with silly childish comments about what ive said. As soon as a few others agree with me or someone saying something similar, the same dozen get all upset and start commenting about how:

"Here comes the end of another thread"

"Someone has a different view, how silly"

The ones posting negative comments against me and those that have similar views are the ones that derail the thread into fights or silly arguments.

Me posting 2 paragraphs about my true thoughts or opinions, whether I post it once or 500 times, is NOT the issue:

The issue is how some are unwilling to creatively or maturely debate or discuss what I say, or SIMPLY ignore what I say.

Seems the same individuals call out "threadcrap" at the least bit of disagreement over a device they bought. They need to have ONLY agreement from ONLY owners of the same exact device and thats it.

24. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

Please keep it open. I've got lots of good info here and made a few good purchases based on that info :righton:

I just tend to stay out of the threads where I'm out of my depth or it looks like they're going to end in flames.

25. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

Another vote to leave it open. I have learned a ton in this section and I would not be anywhere close to my current system level without it!

A minor suggestion is to change the rules slightly. Just as we have a very wide range of musical tastes, discussed relatively peacefully in the music section, we need to recognize the same diversity in Hardware. There are varying standards and budgets in play. Even more, there are different belief systems. If we could all just remind ourselves of the thread crapping definition, we'd be a long way down the road. Second, if we could just avoid threads where our beliefs are in conflict with the thread intent, we'd be even better off. (power cables, cables in general.....). Lastly, if the discussion is about a $60k phonostage, you have choices. You can join in and learn some stuff (even though you may never be able to afford the product). Or you can find another thread. There is no need to swoop in to make economic claims or to dump on the idea that such a product could be 'worth' that much.

It would be a shame to have a valuable section closed down just because some common courtesies could not be observed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.