Shout Factory Working on a Complete-Series "WKRP in Cincinnati"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Planbee, May 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

Some things I really hope to see fixed/included:

First, a few instances where stock/library music was used in the first place:

Les' news intro (was altered on the Fox DVD).
    The U.S. national anthem in "Tornado" (was changed to another patriotic song on the Fox DVD).
    The intro/theme to "Real Families" (altered in syndication).

Some other licensed examples:

Jennifer's doorbell
    Patton theme (used in the episode "Young Master Carlson")
    The Doors' "Alabama Song (Whiskey Bar)" and "Light My Fire" ("Fish Story")

Other instances where the cast members sing or recite lyrics:

Les singing 'Heartbreak Hotel"
    Venus singing "If I Didn't Care" ("Fish Story")
    ...etc.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  2. debased

debased Senior Member

Amazon price drop. Back to $97.99.

wayne66 likes this.
  3. Paradoxically, I hope the price drops aren't a bad sign...

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

That'd be quite a stretch of the imagination. Especially knowing Amazon's fluctuations.

5. lasvidfil

lasvidfil Forum Resident

A bit off topic but still related...I'm sure WKRP die hards were aware but for those who are not, one of the most rememberd episodes was "Hoodlum Rock" featuring Scum of the Earth. Well, the song they performed at the end was by a real band named Detective. The singer of Scum was Michael Des Barres, the real singer for Detective and who went on to an acting career including a regular on The New WKRP in Cinicnnatti. Detective only lasted for 2 albums I believe and didn't really go anywhere. But here is the song they performed on the show called "Got Enough Love" and and another track called "Grim Reaper" which sounds an awful lot like Led Zeppelin IMHO. Both are from their self titled debut. Check em out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03mGRXHbn_M

6. Myke

Wonder if their people gave permission.

7. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

Michael Des Barres also replaced Robert Palmer in Power Station late in that bands run. He was also married to Pamela Des Barres, the groupie who wrote the book I'm With the Band: Confessions of a Groupie.

8. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

Detective's music was intact on the Fox S1 DVD, but unfortunately, it was the 22 minute syndicated version of the episode. Hopefully Shout! Factory gives us the full episode.

Speaking of Led Zeppelin...Detective's first 2 albums were on the Swan Song label.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  9. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

The recent Wonder Years DVD may hold some clues as to what is possible with WKRP regarding licensing.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/20174

There's a small amount of overlap on songs that were cleared for Wonder Years, and were used on WKRP (no guarantees, of course, but it shows these titles can be licensed):

Sam & Dave-Soul Man (S1 Ep. 20 "Young Master Carlson")
    CSNY-Teach Your Children (S1 Ep. 16 "I Want To Keep My Baby")

...there is some artist overlap as well (Bob Seger, Rolling Stones, Beach Boys, CCR, Joe Cocker, Van Morrison, Elton John, Linda Ronstadt....).

The bad news, no Doors tracks were cleared on the Wonder Years set, including a track that also appeared on WKRP, "Light My Fire". "LMF " and "Alabama Song (Whiskey Bar)" appeared on S1, Ep 21 "Fish Story".

There are a couple of VHS releases that include "Fish Story" unaltered...1991's "WKRP Classics" and this one from 1992:

[​IMG]

Note...on this VHS there is a slight alteration to "Hold Up". (No Van Halen in Del's Stereo Shop).

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  10. TJSBeatles

TJSBeatles Forum Resident

Looks like "The Wonder Years" was able to clear 96% of the music from its' original run. Wonder if Shout will be as transparent as Time/Life, and whether or not such a high success rate will be the case for WKRP. A precedent has been set here, the pressure & onus is on Shout to have similar success... http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Wonder-Years-The-Complete-Series/20182

Mister Charlie likes this.
  11. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie Thread Starter

Saw on another site that Shout is supposedly still finalizing music clearances and that an announcement will be made end of next week.

I don't get how this is possible given that the release date for "direct from Shout" buyers is only 28 days from tomorrow. IF they do get any more music secured in the next week, I wonder if they'll have to push back the release date. It'd be worth it, of course.

MMM likes this.
  12. Myke

:-popcorn: Do I keep $107. in the bank, or do I sit back and enjoy the antics of the gang at WKRP ? Only The Shadow knows...

13. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I wonder if, when making any substitutions, other "real" music that would fit might be licensed if the original is priced beyond anything reasonable?

14. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

I think we all know that money won't stay in the bank...

15. Myke

It will until 2015, when new Blu rays are announced, and released, that I'm interested in.

16. shmenge7372

shmenge7372 Member

I posted on that other site. Curious as well if they can meet the release date but encouraged that, as they stated, clearances are truly " down to the wire". Hope they are as good or better than the Wonder Years.

Myke likes this.
  17. JimW

So you're saying you're forgoing the KRP set? Color me surprised (and wrong).

18. Myke

No, I'm not going to forgo :laugh: on this set, until I have more details. I took your bank reference to mean, the equivalent amount would be spent on some other entertainment purchase, which is the usual post around these parts.

19. JimW

No, I just felt sure you'd get this set, unless the music clearances are poor (which I don't believe will be the case). I am also awaiting final reports, but am eagerly awaiting this, as I assumed (we all know what that does) you were as well.

20. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

Has there been an update from Shout?

21. Myke

Nope. Waiting until those that ordered directly start reporting, later this month.

22. Hard Panner

Ugh. Come on, Shout Factory! We'll put the word out - if it is good!

23. Myke

If I'm not satisfied with what I read by October 24th ( the Friday before ), I'm cancelling.

24. Hard Panner

My birthday happens just days after this set hits the streets. Hoping for good news as this is on my short list. #selfishreason

25. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

I see no need to order from Shout since the Amazon pre-order is (or was) much cheaper. If there were an advantage to ordering from Shout (other than it's sooner) I would order from them.
    I'm not concerned about the music. I understand that it won't be perfect, but it will definitely be a lot better than the FOX release. I mean do people expect miracles?

Are people going to go "hey wait, no Pink Floyd, no sale"

Come on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.