Show me your PC/MAC music player setup.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by nikosvault, May 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident Thread Starter

Whether it's foobar2000, JRiver or Itunes, show me a screenshot of your music player setup....

[​IMG]

Say and superstar19 like this.
  2. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I still use JRMC for multichannel music and for running our zone 2/whole house system, but Roon can run the living room, my RPi/HiFi Berry setup in my listening room, and the whole house. I control it from the HTPC in the living room or my phone or my Macbook Pro. I don't even have Tidal hooked into it and I still couldn't be without it.

3. arglebargle

arglebargle Forum Resident

Ncmpcpp / MPD on Linux. A highly configurable setup with low CPU usage, bit-perfect playback, keyboard-based navigation, and powerful inline tagging. A client / server model, MPD can also be handily controlled from phone/tablet with the MPoD app or any number of desktop clients, some of which probably have actual buttons and stuff... I wouldn't know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Denis_hr

Denis_hr New Member

Here's a screnshot of one of the players I use - Rune Audio UI - looks more or less the same on any platform - this is just the "Now Playing" screen - there's also "Library" and "Queue" (i.e. playlist).
    Shows the Internet radio playing (Radio Paradise)...

[​IMG]

Say likes this.
  5. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I love that simplicity. It reminds me of MPXPlay on DOS/Windows, something I'm looking at for a dedicated music player box and which I like a lot.

arglebargle likes this.
  6. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

Here's my iTunes setup on OS X

[​IMG]

7. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

And here's my Foobar setup on Windows

[​IMG]

8. arglebargle

arglebargle Forum Resident

Nice Midnight Commander style layout on that! I use a lot of command line programs so these sorts of players, however plain, do fit well with the overall aesthetic of my system. Also, vi-style key bindings let me rely on years of muscle memory for surfing around my collection.

9. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

What are you using to output it into the system? I'm using an AppleTV in my office and a Lenovo Stick PC in the Den to connect to the USB input on the Oppo 105. Problem is that when the Oppo is powered down, Windows 10 loses the USB connection and it can be a PITA to get it reconnected when you power the Oppo up. Keep hoping for a DAC that will act as a bridge.

I know that you are all about you vinyl setup these days, but I must say that since I got Roon, my TT's have been used very little. Roon has made digital so good that I hardly use anything else.

10. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Just took this the other night for the Weekend Records/Cocktails thread...

[​IMG]

Say and c-eling like this.
  11. toddrhodes

I'm going straight from an always-on HTPC (not even my media drives spin down) via one of its HDMI inputs into my Anthem receiver. I have the analog out of the HTPC set for zone 2 and then I use RoonSpeakers to hook into the Hifi Berry. I think, eventually, I'm going to get a Bimby DAC to sit off the HiFi Berry - as you say I'm all about vinyl right now but let's face it, that's not a forever thing. At least, the emphasis/focus I have on vinyl right now won't necessarily continue at the same level of vigor, always.

Even just this weekend, since Friday, I've been figuring out how to burn multichannel DVD-A discs for my car. It took me four days but now I have ten. They sound absolutely fabulous in the car, night and day to how it handles 320 mp3s off my USB stick (although there are too many differences in the sources for these to really say much in the way of a direct comparison.)

But, my other idea is to pick up a BDP-95 or 103 to have in my audio room, sum the center to my fronts and wire in my pre-wired surround speakers to do some multichannel down there, as well as get some SACD media. We'll see. Hopefully I addressed what you asked, if not let me know :)

12. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Cool! That Anthem AVR's are amazing pieces in their own right. I have anMRX510 sitting on my dining room table (my pile of extra stuff ) I hate to sell it in case I ever want to chase the multi channel demons again! My Stick PC is my HTPC but I'll likely add a Mac Mini when I take one out of service at the office where I have three. I find the Mini is just better behaved than Win10 for such application.

13. toddrhodes

That's the one I have and I do really like it. I prefer it to the Denon I was using as a pre/pro into a separate B&K amp even.

I am still on W7 64-bit. It just works so much better for this use case than anything else and my limited experience in W10 so far has me not in any great rush to upgrade.

14. This is MusicBee set up in Windows 7.

[​IMG]

Say likes this.
  15. John R Leddy

John R Leddy Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.