Show us your vinyl collection setup

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RelayerNJ, Apr 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm converting to all Sleeve City 5 mil covers for the collection. Damn, I'm a geek.

Juggsnelson and anodyne like this.
  2. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

grainy iphone pic

[​IMG]

3. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

[​IMG]
    This is what my collection looked like back in late December 2007 when I had just moved in to my loft in the Financial District in NYC; I had 3 more racks of CDs in the bedroom with more boxed sets placed on top. My vinyl was in a closet. Unfortunately, I had to give up most of my collection two years later (long story, and no, I wasn't broke) but at least I have the bulk of it in digital form. My current CD collection fits on two shelves of that bookshelf you see to the far left; mainly my Simple Minds, Duran Duran, and Fixx CDs, along with some choice boxed sets, CD+DVD packs, and some CDs I produced and/or wrote the liner notes for when I was still in the music business.

When I moved out, I had to basically give up my security deposit after painting the place that rusty orange, but it was worth it! Guys, I love all the photos in this thread, but do not fear color on your respective walls!

arar, joeislive, NapalmBrain and 7 others like this.
  4. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Great setup!!!!

groovelocked likes this.
  5. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

That color on the wall is great! So is that Clash singles boxset.....And the Tori Amos!

6. RelayerNJ

This looks awesome! How did you decide which albums were going to be framed?

groovelocked likes this.
  7. otherdimension

otherdimension Senior Member

Nice! some great albums on the wall there! Do you change the "wall"albums or are they permanent?

groovelocked likes this.
  8. groovelocked

This time I picked a few intensely blue covers intentionally to match new blue carpet and juggled some that had been up before that were bold or high color. One time I had all black & white up for a while, and before that all very colorful faves. I just added the long Expedit unit on top and lost that bottom row so I'm re-thinking that and will maybe move that to the bedroom unit when I decide which turntable to set up in there. I really like having all my records in one spot but I need this to be functional for equipment.

I may do classic albums of the 70's next if I can find enough beaters on sale for about a buck, I'd rather not keep putting my good albums covers up because I like having the windows wide open with lots of sunlight (I'm on 11th floor with an awesome view). I'd also like to do a wall of covers that feature autos eventually.

This is on the opposite wall over the sofa:
    [​IMG]

I try to change the wall covers about once a year so nothing gets too noticeably faded, but I have to keep the blinds down for the late afternoon/evening sun, unless there's a spectacular sunset. This next change will be all old covers I won't worry about fading.

9. RelayerNJ

Indeed, this is bad ass.

jeffd7030 and groovelocked like this.
  10. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

[QUOTE="hotrodjunkie, post: This is on the opposite wall over the sofa:
    [​IMG]
    [/QUOTE]

Are the frames for your picture discs specially made or did you just use regular album frames? If so, what did you put behind the discs and how did you center them so well in each frame?

Oh, and what are the titles of the large picture discs?

Thanks. :) It looks awesome by the way.

arar and groovelocked like this.
  11. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Yer out of room...heh...

;)

I have the same problem...

Seriously though, that looks way cool. I have a few frames up, but plastering the wall like that looks great.

Maybe if I show my wife your pic she might go for it. :D

RelayerNJ and groovelocked like this.
  12. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

13. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

[​IMG] The man-cave. Very modest by the standards here...

[​IMG][​IMG]

Pieter Kozak, Peachy, Devon and 15 others like this.
  14. groovelocked

Are the frames for your picture discs specially made or did you just use regular album frames? If so, what did you put behind the discs and how did you center them so well in each frame?

Oh, and what are the titles of the large picture discs?

Thanks. :) It looks awesome by the way.[/QUOTE]

They are regular black metal frames from Michael's crafts store, and I bought round mats cut for records from an ebay seller (scroll down here: http://www.wholesaleposterframes.com/product_info3.php) Michael's and Hobby Lobby sells the mats much cheaper but I could never find any. The cut is centered so you just put the record in, put the mat around it (the cut is beveled to hold the record against the glass), then stack a full cardboard spacer behind that to keep it tight, add the backing. I used a laser level to get my frames straight and even with that you futz with them for a couple weeks because the hangers on the back of the frames are not in a set position and need to be adjusted- so your nails could me dead straight and the frames will still go up sloppy unless you hang the actual frame on 2 nails instead of using the center clips provided.
    The records up are L-R:
    • Sola Rosa - Get It Together (blue) limited pressing of 500, later pressed on regular vinyl in standard cover,
    • Dan Hartman - Instant Replay (yellow/blk) Canadian 12",
    • Poohbah - Let Me In (blk/whi) LTD reissue from Ripple- first ones were on this blk/white splatter
    • Spiderman 3 soundtrack, regular pressing was red, this red/blk pressing may have been a store exclusive, not sure but it took me a while to find this variation on ebay.
    • JPT Scare Band - Acid Blues Is The White Mans Burden (grn/yellow) from Ripple.
    [bottom row:]
    • Radioactive Goldfish - Rhythm And Rave (purple swirl) promo
    • White Zombie - Astro Creep 2000 (blood-red/clear splatter)
    • Against Me! - New Wave (yellow-lime)
    • Madonna - Hard Candy (white/blue splatter)
    • Radioactive Goldfish - Sonik Friktion 12" (pink/pink splatter)

Johnny Vinyl, nbakid2000 and Groovy like this.
  15. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

16. RelayerNJ

I was just thinking, "Is this cat married?!" I still get hell for my setup!

groovelocked likes this.
  17. RelayerNJ

Looks like your almost out of room. An lp could be squeezed in, but def no any kind of box set :)

18. watchnerd

watchnerd Forum Resident

Wondering why this amazed you?

bootbox likes this.
  19. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

The box sets, singles, 10", soundtracks, classical and various artists comps are already in the closet. I'm gonna be in serious trouble pretty soon. Good problem to have, though!

RelayerNJ likes this.
  20. watchnerd

watchnerd Forum Resident

Dynaudio?

Josquin des Prez likes this.
  21. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Yes. Contour S3.4 in Cherry.
    They have been upgraded with Esotar2 tweeters (as in the Confidence line) to replace the stock Esotec tweeters.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  22. Retro Hound

Retro Hound Forum Resident

That's what I was going to say! Actually, a few of them are in cardboard boxes in the closet. After we get a few kids out of the house I'll have a room to set everything up in.

23. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

[QUOTE="hotrodjunkie, post:I used a laser level to get my frames straight and even with that you futz with them for a couple weeks because the hangers on the back of the frames are not in a set position and need to be adjusted- so your nails could me dead straight and the frames will still go up sloppy unless you hang the actual frame on 2 nails instead of using the center clips provided.[/QUOTE]

That's so funny, you sound just like me. I too cannot abide wonky picture frames. Hang 'em straight or just don't bother!

Thanks for taking the time to pass on all that information, hotrodjunkie, it's much appreciated. :righton:

groovelocked likes this.
  24. Really nice. But then I saw Michael McDonald :tiphat:

25. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

This is about 90% of it...
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.