Shriekback fans, stand up and be counted

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tomman888, Nov 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomman888

tomman888 New Member Thread Starter

Anyone else like the band SHRIEKBACK ?!

Over the past week or two, a few of their LPs and 45's resurfaced in my archive and they never cease to amaze me...both sonically and with their material..

Granted, I listen to 80s synth pop and new wave/alt. almost exclusively but this is clearly a special band as far as I'm concerned.

My two favorites recently have been the LP "Big Night Music" and the later, less aclaimed, "Go Bang" :winkgrin::winkgrin:

Dave Allen is a great musician.

2. D_minor

D_minor Senior Member

"Oil And Gold" and "Big Night Music" are my favourites.

3. bad horse

bad horse New Member

Oil And Gold always makes my D.I.D. lists and has since the first time I heard it in 1985.

4. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I bought (when they first came out):

Tench
    Care
    Jam Science (both versions)
    Oil And Gold

I did buy 'Big Night Music' but I didn't really like it much, so it didn't make it into the collection. At some point I lost the Y version of JS to water damage and was never able to replace it. Haven't really heard anything much after that.

deredordica likes this.
  5. gojirin

gojirin Forum Resident

Love pretty much anything with Dave Allen on it.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  6. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Shriekback!!

Great band.
    First time I heard them was "Lined Up" then "Working on the Ground" on the local university station (CITR at UBC in Vancouver).

Also remember "Underwaterboys" from Big Night Music getting played on an episode of Miami Vice.

Saw them in the mid 80's, opening for Simple Minds.

Probably the best opening act I've ever seen.

Thanks for the reminder...I'm going to pull out my Shriekback CDs tomorrow and play 'em.

deredordica and Front 242 Addict like this.
  7. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

That "sexually correct" Big Night Music!!!

8. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

Big Fan!

"Go Bang" was a fav, shake it, shake it!!!!

9. geckonia

geckonia New Member

Nice flashback tomman... They got a lot of play on my local radio station too.. WLIR. Is that station still on the air in Long Island?

Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
    Everybody happy as the dead come home
    Big Black Nemesis, parthenogenesis
    No one move a muscle as the dead come home

parthenogenesis? That's the only time I've heard that word in a song... nice!

Runicen and Front 242 Addict like this.
  10. audiofool

audiofool Senior Member

My spine IS the bass line.

11. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

+1 :)

12. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Big fan...saw them when they opened for Simple Minds...now there's a fine double bill.

13. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

saw that tour as well, they blew Simple Minds off the stage, but then again China Crisis blew Simple Minds off the stage too.

anyway big Shriekback fan since Care, I even have the 2 most recent releases Glory Bumps and Cormorant.

weren't Happyhead and King Swamp spinoffs of sorts?

14. captone

captone Forum Resident

Love the original version of Lined Up

15. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Maybe a stupid question, but I have had so many discussions about it with my wife. Because of this thread about Shriekback I see endlessly my chance for asking it:

Always at the start of the fine serie about the Sopranos there is a song, sounding like Shriekback. Is it really an (relatively unknown) song of Shriekback, or is the singer going solo and is he the one performing that song? Or is it just sounding like the singer of Shriekback? In that case, by who?

16. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Wow good memory.

Now that you mention it I saw China Crisis open for Simple Minds too.

Obviously CC didn't make the same lasting impression that Shriekback did.

17. RichAtomic

RichAtomic Forum Resident

That DOES sound like Shriekback! But it's "Woke Up This Morning" by Alabama 3 (aka A3). No relation.

Panama Hotel and Echo like this.
  18. readandburn

readandburn Active Member

I lost interest when Carl Marsh left. His vocals sound like no one else's.

Related, his solo album "Too Much Fun" from 1989 is one of my favorite albums ever. It features a lot of his old Shriekback bandmates too. His Happyhead project was awful though.

The good news is that he has two songs on the new Shriekback album ("Life In The Loading Bay")!

19. RichAtomic

RichAtomic Forum Resident

Being a club DJ, I liked their early work but fell head-over-heels for Oil & Gold. Saw them perform live in 1985/86, a headlining gig in Milwaukee. A blizzard hampered turnout, so it turned into one of those awesome-show-played-to-a-small-but-appreciative-audience gigs.

I recently discovered that post-punk bluesman -- thank you Trouser Press for the description -- Paul K (& The Weathermen) had done "Faded Flowers" as a B-side. A haunting song in most any style.

20. beatlesfan68

beatlesfan68 Forum Resident

My first exposure to them was through the movie Manhunter in 1986. Been a fan since...
    :thumbsup:

Rocketdog and Front 242 Addict like this.
  21. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Loved them and they put on an excellent show opening for the Comsat Angels back in 1986/7 at the Paradise in Boston. But never got into their stuff post Oil And Gold. Big Night Music was a big mainstream sellout bore for me.

22. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

'Tench' and 'Care' NEED to be reissued stat, with the original cover art and running order. I'd buy them again in a split-second, even if they weren't remastered. That 'Y Records Years' travesty is a, well, travesty - probably the worst packaged CD I have.

23. 3rd Uncle Bob

3rd Uncle Bob Forum Resident

Got Care because of my XTC love. Didn't hear anything else until Oil and Gold which is great as is Big Night Music, but it was downhill after that. Still want to an official CD release of Jam Science; "Hubris" being my favorite track from it.

deredordica likes this.
  24. mneuliep

mneuliep Forum Resident

Another huge fan here. And as much as I love the music, the instrument credits in the liner notes never fail to crack me up. "Unarguable guitar" and "flailing bass" indeed!

vonwegen and Front 242 Addict like this.
  25. glea

glea Forum Resident

There is a show I wish I could have seen. Big Shriekback fan. Just noticed the other day how many of their records I have.... also a huge CSA fan. Got turned on to them very early. Had a friend in Leeds who sent me some rare stuff. phew

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.