Shure cartridges discontinued

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Airbus, May 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I know that folks love the aftermarket M97xE styli, but I prefer using OEM, if possible. I've used a few JICO styli in the past, but found that they have their own tonal character.

H8SLKC and SandAndGlass like this.
  2. action pact

Very interesting graph! Maybe I should give the SAS a shot someday.

That sounds to me like there is something holding up production that they can't control, like a materials supply issue or something.

3. macster

macster Forum Resident

If you like the OEM M97Xe sonic's then the LP gear replacement stylus would be a good place to start. It's bumps up everything a tad and makes the M97Xe pretty good, the Jico HE stylus which opens things up a bit more is very good for the money. With either of these you can't go wrong if you like the Shure sound (IMHO of course).

M~

4. Helom

Helom Forum member

What about them was defective?

H8SLKC likes this.
  5. action pact

Both of the cantilevers were angled to one side.

H8SLKC likes this.
  6. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

That's a bummer. I ordered a replacement stylus on Amazon but it still has no shipping date. Switched back to my V15 Type iii with Thakker Jico stylus that sounds great. Will use the M97xe a little more sparingly until I can find a decent affordable third party stylus.

H8SLKC likes this.
  7. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

It's a great cartridge that can be easily modified down the line. Don't forget to check out this thread sometime.

So I did this to my Shure SC35C

H8SLKC likes this.
  8. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Very nicely done! :)

H8SLKC likes this.
  9. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

My bad! I didn't realize that the aftermarket stylus manufacturers typically don't publish their specs. I wonder why that is, especially for the better products where you'd think they'd want to boast impressive (or at least OEM-matched) performance.

Nice work with the graph, btw! Confirms what we all seem to hear.

10. Exit Flagger

Just received an email from Amazon that my order for a N97xe replacement stylus for the M97xe has been cancelled "due to a lack of availability."

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

I placed an order on Amazon last week for a Shure sc35c, actual seller Adorama. I noticed yesterday that the item never shipped and emailed Amazon and Adorama last night to find out why. I'm awaiting word that they have none to ship and the order is cancelled. It's a little absurd to think that I'm lucky to have gotten one from Google Express last week at $59, so I have one on hand without having to spend a ton on a cartridge that would have sold for $40 a few weeks ago. Silly.

12. LoveYourLife

LoveYourLife Forum Resident

Another one bites the dust, shame...

H8SLKC likes this.
  13. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

Me too!

H8SLKC likes this.
  14. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

This is 10x better anyway: Jico SAS replacement for Shure N97xE stylus

H8SLKC and Benzion like this.
  15. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Uhm, at this price it starts looking attractive...

I have a NOS M97HE, for which I think I will get the Jico HE replacement, and also a M97XE I bought the day the sad news came out. For that I might actually go with that SAS - it will be an interesting comparison. And the original XE stylus can be used for less than VG+ vinyl.

EDIT: Just bought the SAS.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  16. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

Damn it, I just received the Adorama/Amazon email that my order of Shure sc35c was cancelled. I'm very glad I got one via another site last week. Even the Shure cheapies are selling out. Nuts.

17. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

This thread got my nostalgia going thinking of how wretched it is that Shure is now out of the cartridge business. I've owned various models going back 50 years to the point that seeing the Shure name reminds me of parts of my childhood.
    The mistake I made was procrastinating almost 3 weeks about spending $100 on an M97XE (even after recommendations from knowledgeable forum members to get it while you can since this thread went up).
    I really didn't need a new cartridge but I folded like a cheap suit and ended up giving the man an extra $45 to get one. Difficult to put a price on memories is the justification, which I know my wife will surely understand.

18. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

And to think I literally threw out an SC35 a couple of years ago… perhaps not the smartest move!

H8SLKC likes this.
  19. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

Auction site prices have skyrocketed for basic Shure carts now as well. Hate it. The one sc35c I got at the last minute has been a revelation to me. I'm listening to Joe Jackson on my main system right now. OEM conical stylus tracking at a massive 4.5g. Scared me at first, but this cart sings, right out of the box.

Benzion likes this.
  20. DJtheAudiophile

DJtheAudiophile Active Member

Amazon says the Shure M97xE is temporarily out of stock, but can still order and get notified when they become available. Will they receive a final shipment or should I give my hope up?

21. Exit Flagger

Hard to say. They have officially notified customers that they won't be getting any more replacement styluses.

I would think the more time goes by the less likely they will get one last shipment. On the other hand, they were probably the biggest supplier of the M97xe in the world at one point, so if anyone can get Shure to cough up a few more it would be Amazon.

DJtheAudiophile likes this.
  22. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

If the suspicion that they actually ceased production some time ago and announced their exit of the business hoping that they have enough stock for a while, then that stock is by now gone to scalpers, and the factory in Mexico has been mothballed for a while by now. So - I doubt Shure has anything to cough up, even to Amazon.

23. Exit Flagger

I think you are probably right, unfortunately. Insiders likely knew they were shutting down cartridge production way before customers did.

24. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I think it is most likely that if Shure finds a case in the back room or something, they will ration it out to the specialty cartridge and stylus websites rather than big A. Because Shure would have much more personal relationships with the specialty websites and their owners. Big A could not care less.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  25. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Don't bother waiting. Use this as your excuse to buy something better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.