Shure Dilemna

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LaLaGusta, Nov 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LaLaGusta

LaLaGusta Member Thread Starter

I really like the Shure sound.

Unfortunately, it appears that Shure is losing interest in cartridges. I suspect they will get out of the business in a few years. At any rate, I don't trust their quality control at the present time.

Are there any cartridges out there that, regardless of budget, could be considered a "modern successor" of say...the V15?

Especially in terms of lack of brightness and fatigue....it needs to excel in these abilities at least as much as the V15 or M97xe. And I am willing to trade off resolution for this.

Yes, I am aware of JICO and SAS, but I am talking about a completely different cartridge all together, not simply a modification of a Shure stylus. Furthermore, it appears that the JICO and SAS options are brighter than the originals, from what I understand. Nor am I interested in hunting down old cartridges at inflated prices. I am talking strictly in terms of new cartridges.

If your cart recommendation begins with "AT..." just leave :p

2. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Why do you say that?

3. LaLaGusta

Regarding loss if interest, this was after speaking to Shure. Right now, they are reliant on their current suppliers,and if anything changes, they are out. Cartridges are a tiny fraction of their business. In terms of quality control...you can do some research on the quality control issues surrounding the cartridges made in Juarez. All of them are made their currently.

Is it possible their kinks are worked out? Maybe. But maybe not. I dont want to find out on my nice pressings that there is still a problem through first hand experience if I can help it.

4. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

I spent almost 15 years in experiments trying to find the answer to this same question. Solutions I found:
    1) overpriced NOS original Shure HE or MR styli (not impossible) whose rubber is still fresh (very difficult) for my V15III
    2) new, classy LOMC cartridges at 2k$ and up

LaLaGusta likes this.
  5. decontrol2

decontrol2 Well-Known Member

Your correct, this is a response I received from shure in regards to why the m35x was discontinued

"The M35X was discontinued to two reasons: 1) Very low sales volume; 2) Difficulty in finding reliable vendors for some of the M35X component parts. It will not be replaced or upgraded.

Even with the renewed interest in vinyl, worldwide record sales are a small fraction of what they were in the 1960s/70s. If Shure did not already have the tooling for phono cartridges, we would not get into this market now because of its small size. And every year, there are fewer suppliers for key phono cartridge components. Eventually, Shure will have to exit the market when we can no longer get quality components.

My advice: buy replacement styli while you can. "

6. decontrol2

decontrol2 Well-Known Member

I've been looking at nagaoka which from what I read on forums and reviews sounds almost like it has a similar sound to the shures. Anyone know for sure?

7. LaLaGusta

Regarding 2., could you think of any cartridges that would fit the bill?

8. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

I echo your thoughts my friend. I discovered Shure cartridges about 2 years ago.
    I really love the v15 MK 3.i suggest you play about with Jico
    Stylus,a and loading,s as is commonly known Shure
    Respond well to loading and although not the right
    Thing to do can smooth out its top end.
    Oh for the good old days

LaLaGusta likes this.
  9. macster

macster Forum Resident

The Jico HE for M97xe is so close that it's a moot point. If, that is too bright get a Vivid line.

M

stuwee likes this.
  10. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

If mellow, detailed and full are your criteria, I suggest listening to the the Clearaudio line, specifically the Maestro V2 and the Charisma V2. I personally think that Clearaudio is making the best MM cartridges in the world these days, and I’ve recently replaced my Ortofon 2M Black (used variously on a Thorens TD126 MKII and most recently on my shiny new Technics SL-1200G) with the Clearaudio Charisma V2. It has all the warmth of the V15 Type IV that I had on the Thorens before, all of the detail and character of the 2M Black, and I can listen to music for hours on end using the Charsima. It puts the V15 Type IV to shame, and prefer it over the 2M Black.

I’ve had Ortofon, Clearaudio, Shure, Soundsmith, Grado, Hana and Dynavector in comparison, but the Clearaudio MM cartridges get my vote these days.

Sam, LaLaGusta and Thorensman like this.
  11. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

To get back to your question.....Nagaoka or Grado come to mind.

12. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

I completely agree with the OP. From my experience if you want to maintain the Shure tone...go with an Jico Hyper-Elliptical (HE) on the Shure M97xE. Maintains the shure tone but not the brightness of SAS. It’s better than the stock stylus too imo.

macster likes this.
  13. Helom

Helom Forum member

I second the Clearaudio carts, they're warmer than many brands. Nagaoka should also fit the bill.

14. Jking3002

Jking3002 Forum Resident

Really surprised by the answer OP received.

It seems crazy to me that as vinyl sales continue to grow that Shure would consider getting out of the cartridge business. If anything, they should bring back some of their higher end cartridges. If people are willing to pay $200+ for the Jico styli, I imagine they would pay a pretty penny for a genuine V15...

LaLaGusta and Thorensman like this.
  15. Jking3002

Jking3002 Forum Resident

Also, tell Shure to ask Technics how that worked out for them... I imagine they *really* wish they hadn’t stopped production.

LaLaGusta likes this.
  16. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I had a Maestro Wood V1 and it's still the best MM cart I've ever heard. I did really like the AT 150-MLX but with a gun to my head, I'd pick the Maestro.

That said, MC carts don't have to be super expensive either. I'm not sure what the real successor to the AT Art9 will be but at $949 or whatever it is on LPGear, it is an absolute bargain. Just a world-beater cartridge IMO, the best I've owned and that's considering DV 20x2L, Lyra Delos, and a handful of other "lesser" carts. Also, the Hana MC carts are amazing values. I had an elliptical model and it blew me away with what can be had for 500 clams these days.

17. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

For bringing back production, so much depends on demand and how much of the tooling got trashed during the 'CD era'. It takes decades to create all of the tooling and a very short time to destroy it. The only American company that I can think of that is a major player and hung in there is Grado. Shure has a very limited selection compared to the golden years. Pfanstiehl is the only American company that makes as well as purchases aftermarket styli. EVG is a reseller only, I believe. EVG and Pfanstiehl are not owned by the same company. Russell Industries owns EVG and LKG owns Pfanstiehl. I do miss the offerings from Empire, Pickering, and Stanton. I have a Garrard Lab 80 on the way. It looks like it has a Pickering cartridge in it.

18. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

LaLaGusta: Dont forget about Denon. Some of the Denon carts sound like some of the Shures. Something to take a look at.

LaLaGusta likes this.
  19. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

The problem for Shure is that most of that growing sales volume is from the low end of the market, in which most turntables are coming equipped with Chuo Denshi or Audio-Technica cartridges. In the '70s and '80s, a lot of turntables came equipped with a Shure OEM cartridge, like the "Realistic/Shure" cartridges that Radio Shack used to put on all of their turntables. But if there are any new turntables today that come with a Shure cartridge, I certainly haven't heard of them. Meanwhile Audio-Technica is cranking out the AT3600L by the millions in China and the profit from it alone is probably funding their entire cartridge and stylus R&D department.

Jking3002 and PhxJohn like this.
  20. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Excellent info !

21. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Yo
    you know, the same thought occured
    To me. It's as if they are like a shy used car salesman.
    My god , can you imaging advance orders alone if the v15 reappeared..
    Don, t they like money!!

22. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Bean counters.....they ruin all of our fun !

LaLaGusta and Jking3002 like this.
  23. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

My Kiseki Blue is similar to the Shure but better in almost every way.

24. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

Depends on the arm used OP, it's a dance through the grooves. Some of us are blessed with the Shure/SME 3009 and that was built with the V15 in mind.

Hang on to your V15's peeps :cop:, they ain't making any more...

To answer your question, I'd look at Grado's current line. Or go crazy with a nice vintage Grace F9 :edthumbs: . $350+ and probably needs a re-tip!!

If you are really into vinyl, ya gotta spend some money, no short cuts...

LaLaGusta likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.