Shure M75 EJ type 2 Cart

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gibson67, Nov 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride Thread Starter

Morning all

I’m currently running my Thorens TD160 with a Shure M75 EJ type 2 Cart, with an upgraded N75 ED stylus as opposed to the stock EJ variant. I was wondering if there’s any difference between my EJ type 2 Cart and the ED type 2 Cart?

Would I gain sonic improvements by upgrading to an ED Cart? Or are the two aforementioned Carts identical but just numbered differently. I plan on fitting a N75 HE Stylus next as I’ve heard they are a very nice improvement.

Any information would be great

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The ED is a nude .2 x .7 elliptical. Tracks at lighter forces .75 to 1.5 grams. Better tracking and higher performance. Yes, it is a better stylus. And your Thorens tonearm is well suited for it. The HE is even better in those aspects. The EJ is no slouch and very good for those who need heavier tracking forces or need more ruggedness.,

Gibson67 likes this.
  3. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride Thread Starter

Thanks for your information, I do have a EJ Stylus that I bought the same time as my ED this I’ve never gotten around to trying as yet. Regarding the Cartridges is the ED an improvement over the EJ? Or spec wise are they identical?

4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

EJ and ED are NOT identical. EJ tracks at medium forces (1 1/2-3 grams), is a .4 x .7 elliptical and bonded. The ED is .2 x .7 elliptical, tracks at light forces (3/4-1 1/2 grams) and is a nude mount elliptical stylus. Specifications are different. The ED is better than what Shure manufactures today.

5. paulieb00

paulieb00 Senior Member

The bodies are the same, only the styli are different.
    The HE stylus is the top of the line for those bodies.

6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The HE was not top of the line when these cartridges were first designed or when the Type 2 later model was released. The HE was a much later upgrade option from Shure, released late in the M75's run. The ED stylus was top of the line when the 1967 original and Type 2 versions were released in the early 1970's. The HE stylus upgrade dated from the early 1980's.

shutdown66 likes this.
  7. paulieb00

paulieb00 Senior Member

I believe the N75HE stylus came out when the M95HE carts came out.
    Over the years I have had a M97HE, a M95HE, and a M75HE.
    All were great carts and tracked wonderfully. I would say besides the V15 and Ultra lines, these were the best carts/styli Shure made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.