Side-by-side comparison of "Airplane!" and its source, "Zero Hour!"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by soundboy, May 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

2. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

That's awesome! :laugh:

3. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

Is there an Airplane! appreciation thread? If not, we need one.

One of my favorite all-time movie quotes:

Genius writing. Genius acting.

ytserush, LSP2003 and OldSoul like this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

"I just want you both to know... we're all counting on you."

I think 90% of my jokes in the 1980s revolved around Airplane, Animal House, Blazing Saddles, and Young Frankenstein, plus some Monty Python and SNL stirred in.

5. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

This bit never gets old

Jive Speak Aeroplane!

Vidiot likes this.
  6. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Best part of the acting was they all played it completely straight as if it were a 'normal' movie. If the actors has tried to be funny, I don't think it would have worked nearly as well. (With the exception of the actor who played Johnny, of course.)

We could do a whole thread of favorite quotes from this movie. Would probably get as many pages as the one for The Godfather.

My favorite:
    "How soon can you land?"

"I can't tell."

"You can tell me. I'm a doctor."

"No. I mean I'm just not sure."

"Well, can't you take a guess?"

"Well, not for another two hours."

"You can't take a guess for another two hours?"

Vidiot, fr in sc, wayne66 and 4 others like this.
  7. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Which is why his scenes stick out like horrifically unfunny sore thumbs and come close to ruining the last act of the film

8. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Yeah, I don't completely disagree with you here.

9. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Airplane's a total classic. Never understood why women hate movies like this and The Naked Gun series so much.

ytserush likes this.
  10. Two words:

Three. Stooges.

11. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

12. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Funny to see this thread, since I just ordered Airplane on blu-ray today.

13. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

IIRC they had to explain to Lloyd Bridges he had to play his character straight; he kept wanting to mug for the camera a la Milton Berle. My favorite actor in the film was Robert Stack; he did it note perfect, and the scene of him going thru the airport knocking every Hare Krishna/peacenik/etc. out of his way is a keeper!

wayne66 likes this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Aw, Johnny is great.

"What do you make of this, Johnny?"
    "Oh, I can make a hat... a brooch... a Pterodactyl..."

C'mon, that's FUNNY.

[​IMG]

15. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Not at all! Johnny’s silliness helps to make the otherwise deadpan acting work so well.

“And Leon’s getting laaaarrrger!” is hilarious!

16. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

We'll have to agree to disagree?

I think he's atrocious. It's possibly my least favorite performance in film history -- though to be fair ZAZ must share the blame for casting him.

I am mystified as to why some people think it's right for every actor to play it straight -- except one.

Imagine how much more effective it would have been to cast an old time character actor -- Ed Binns, Charles McGraw, Gene Evans, somebody like that -- and have him doing all the silly things: "There's a sale at Penney's!"

[​IMG]

Aside from consistency of tone among the actors, there is no incongruity when an over the top type like Stucker does these things. A successful incongruity is in the Police Squad pilot, when Drebin, in his Joe Friday tone, reminisces about living with his patrol partner and all the scurrilous gossip that ensued, especially after he lived with his partner's son for six months -- "it just wasn't the same."

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Stephen Stucker was an outrageous, flamboyant, over-the-top gay comic comedian, and he'd done other movies prior to Airplane (and after it, too, until his unfortunate death from AIDS in 1986). All I can tell you is when the movie was released in 1980, the audiences in the theater screamed with laughter and went absolutely crazy every time he came on screen. Airplane is one of those movies that has about 150 repeatable lines, and I think Stucker totally fit in with the madness.

You might as well criticize the scene where Robert Stack is frantically driving to the airport and the (very obvious) rear projection behind his car goes to countdown leader and Indians riding horseback and chasing him. Is that realistic? No. Does it make sense? No. Is it funny? Yes -- very funny.

18. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

I've read that ZAZ actually considered cutting Stucker out of the film (finally coming to their senses), but he was the most popular thing with preview audiences.

I can't watch his scenes. I think he's terrible. We can keep this going if you want.

19. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

1. Is that the dirty cop from The Godfather??

2. I can't believe that Zero Hour also had the "hysterical passenger" scene!

3. Johnny rules.

20. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

No, that's Charles McGraw, fondly remembered as one of the killers in the original The Killers and as a cop in Armored Car Robbery and The Narrow Margin. You're thinking of Sterling Hayden, who was in Zero Hour! Too bad they couldn't get him to reprise that role in Airplane!

I always thought of Johnny as a younger Paul Lynde.

Jim N. likes this.
  21. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

Yes, that is Captain McCluskey - Sterling Hayden (In Zero Hour)

Never knew about Zero Hour, always assumed it was just lampooning the Airport series and other disaster movies.

On another note I remember watching a rerun of a TV film about the 'Great Brinks Robbery' (made in the early 70's?) which went through how the heist was planned, executed and then the follow up FBI investigation.

Leslie Nielsen played one of the FBI agents and having already seen Airplane I just couldn't take the film seriously from the point he appears. He has the same deadpan delivery and whilst a serious film it just made me laugh...

22. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Tell me everything that has happened up to now.

Well, first the earth cooled, then the dinosaurs came, but they got too big and fat, so they died and turned into oil, then the Arabs came, and they bought Mercedes Benzes...

fr in sc, Damien DiAngelo and Vidiot like this.
  23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You can't argue funny. It either is, or it isn't. It's funny to me -- I can't speak for anybody else.

The Hud likes this.
  24. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

I love Airplane I and II, but I hate the Leslie Neilson anything-for-a-laugh genre that it generated.

25. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Love this moofie (known as Flying High! in Oz, for some reason).

Stryker: "It's a different kind of flying altogether"

Stewardess and Doctor, in unison: "It's a different kind of flying".

:p

And the Johnny character is hilarious. The "Just kidding!" and the "And Leon's getting larger!" bits are champagne comedy.

--Geoff

The Hud likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.