Sigh... How can I buy speakers and keep my wife happy?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chris Desjardin, Jul 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Terrific speaker, however, would not be suitable for wall mounting because of the rear port.

2. Jim G.

Jim G. Geezer with a nice stereo!

Surprisingly, my wife likes my Magnepan MMGs. I ordered them in grey w/oak trim. They look very sophisticated. Magnepan makes a panel speaker that folds out from the wall. They are very cool also.

3. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Be bold- do what I did: get Maggies
    ...and agree to put them in the basement, far from aesthetic considerations!

4. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

1) Buy the speakers you want.
    2) Invite friends over. (particularly female ones)
    3 Prep friends before they come over, about your situation.
    4) Friends will complement the looks of your new speakers.
    5) Your wife will slowly come around.
    6) Enjoy your new speakers.

goodiesguy and Gumboo like this.
  5. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

There are some good wall mount speakers but you might be better served at looking at George Lucas' favorite speakers - M&K and the prices would be within and under your budget - are designed to go on the walls - BUT you get few to no colour choices - any colour you want so long as it's black. You're going to want to look at the 950, 750 and the really flat MP7 line. Add a sub (it's pretty tough to find a speaker for wall mount that will have enough bass without a subwoofer).

Edit - you can also get them in white.

http://mkloudspeakers.com/home-cinema-products.asp?cat=1

tvstrategies likes this.
  6. moops

moops Senior Member

The key is subtlety ......

[​IMG]

7. beppe

beppe Forum Resident

Me too:hugs:

8. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I've got to hear these damn speakers, as there are too many of you guys on here claiming their greatness. I'm trying to figure out if you guys have stock in KEF or are they secretly paying you off one at a time to post that they are great on this forum? LOL

In all seriousness, I really need to hear these, but there is no dealer anywhere near me and no nearby member who owns these, has offered to have me over for tea and Beatles!

PROG U.K. likes this.
  9. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Whatever the OP does, don't do what I did and that is get permission to buy a vintage pair of Klipsch Chorus 1's and then I actually bought them and she said, "I didn't think that you were serious?".

But wait, there's more …

After I asked her to help me install new Bob Crites crossovers and diaphrams into them and she heard the end result, she now understands that those huge tree trunks in her front living room, aren't going anywhere! I believe however, that she closes her eyes when listening to them, so the "visual effect" doesn't inhibit her listening pleasure! Small B&W 805D's in the main listening room, with a small sub, which was great until Hoffman and others decided to reboot the "surround" reissues and now the B&W's have been joined by my old Paradigm Studio 100 v2's, which tower them by a good five or so inches! Again, she closes her eyes when listening and "almost" all is forgiven.

10. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Well sure if you match the pillows, instant wife acceptance.

11. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

12. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

That wouldn't even pass the dude acceptance factor!

troggy, goodiesguy, Kyhl and 4 others like this.
  13. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

They look like a cross between some sort of dehumidifier and Cylon Centurion.

JeffMo, Leigh and moops like this.
  14. Slack

Slack Forum Resident

Not that long ago many women seemed to have a problem with TVs being seen and wanted them in cabinets with doors that could be closed so as not to cause visual offense[in case of a visit by royalty or the cast of Queer Eye For The Straight Guy ....or something] .The result of that was huge areas of rainforest destroyed to make big TV cabinets-most of which have now gone into landfill.You are struggling to give them away.With the advent of large screen TVs all this has thankfully changed .So perhaps men have had a win there!
    Wall mount speakers are ridiculous.
    People need to get over seeing speakers-just as they have TVs.

15. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Well if my wife bought me those in pink I would accept them.

16. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Devialet Phantoms with the Gecko wall mounts

17. Erik Tracy

Where did the OP go???

Or is this a 'drive by'?

JeffMo likes this.
  18. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I'm hoping he is at the jewelry store! :)

19. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Maybe it is a damn smart wife building a case against a fellow audiophile and we just gave her the keys to the kingdom. Khaaaan!

mwb and Dennis0675 like this.
  20. Erik Tracy

Maybe she changed the router password and he can't post anymore!

bmoregnr likes this.
  21. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member Thread Starter

No drive by - sorry. I m a school business manager and this is our busy season - I've been working straight all week.

Thank you for all of the advice - you guys gave me some good ideas to look at.

The KEF's were something I considered but my wife nixed them because they don't have a grille (cover) for the front. I am considering B & w's, Paradigm's, or Martin Logans right now. All in our size range. Trying to find a front port at this point in time for the wall mounting.

22. Chris Desjardin

And thanks for the last few posts - they gave me a chuckle... :)

23. Chris Desjardin

I will be using the Jade SR's for the surround speakers from the first order, so only the front ones have to go. The second set they all went back. I'm thinking of holding onto the first set of front ones for when I get the man cave back...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  24. Erik Tracy

The B&Ws may be a good choice.

I run a pair of B&W CDM1NTs - front ported.

Another option may be Polk LSiM703s which have a designed rear port for near wall applications, with good reviews.

25. Chris Desjardin

Trust me, although I know they are ours, they are mine. She says the TV speakers are good enough.

And don't get me wrong - I understand her point of view. The first set WAS too bog. I had high hoped for the second set, but I knew it would be a tough sell. This time I am showing her with a tape measure how big they are and showing her pictures.

The sigh was for the drawn out process, not for my wife's opinions. WE will eventually find what works for both of us. That's what marriage is - taking the time to make both people happy...

utahusker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.