Simon & Garfunkel Tickets $227.00 Each

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spotlightkid, Sep 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spotlightkid

spotlightkid Senior Member Thread Starter

Simon and Garfunkel Tickets for the First Show top ticket is $227.00
    Las Vegas-$400 each.You have got to be kidding me.The Economy sucks
    and they want us to pay this much-not me.I will watch them On HBO instead.

2. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

"Keep The Customer Satisfied" Huh?

3. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I dunno if this goes against Forum rules......but

THEY CAN EAT ME!!!!!!!
    :realmad:

4. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Hello darkness my old friend!

5. Dave D

Dave D Done!

....I tell you over you must bend...........
    Because the ticket prices are insane.....
    and if you pay them you have half a brain.......

6. John B

That depends Dave. Are you advocating cannibalism? Or are you merely letting us know your disgust at the ticket prices. ;)

7. John B

You should have been Garfunkel!

8. Drew

Drew Senior Member

You don't think they aren't going to sell a DVD shot with Hi-def cameras with multiple viewing angles and charge $29.99 a copy, do you? Thats what I'll wait for.

9. mikenyc

mikenyc New Member

The boys are just giving the people what they want...right up the you-know-where !

10. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Not that it makes a huge difference, but it appears that some venues are as low as, I think, $85, with a high around $175-$200. Not much, but a bit of a break.

11. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Re: Re: Simon & Garfunkel Tickets $227.00 Each

$200 to see two old farts????
    Man I am just full of piss and vinegar today....... I should log off.......

:realmad:

12. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Re: Re: Re: Simon & Garfunkel Tickets $227.00 Each

Felt the same way about McCartney and the Stones. Very wrong, big time.

13. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Be nice :)

Although the price is the point. I'm afraid to say that, because of so many different reasons, I see this as softcore robbery. :(

It used to be about people who enjoyed and understood the music. It just can't be that way anymore. It's been an exclusive type of income now.

There's a lot of people who WOULD pay $100 each to see them, but that price is old hat. If you really want to cause a stirr, have them bring enough money to buy a used car just to sit in a crowd for 2 hours listening to distant amps. I'm sure Senators and Bank Investors can afford it, but they never bought the albums or paid attention to the music. Ironically, with the price they'd have to pay, they still can't. :(

Think I'll stay home.

14. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Kudos to Neil Peart & Rush!

LOL! :laugh: It looks like Neil Peart's SPIRIT OF RADIO lyrics, a homage to S&G's SOUNDS OF SILENCE, have the last word:

"For the words of the profits
    are written on the studio wall,
    and Concert Halls...
    echo with the sounds
    of salesmen!" :winkgrin:

:cheers:
    Cat :D

15. jblock

jblock Senior Member

The only way for prices like this to stop is either people say no and don't buy tickets or the artists step up to the plate and take a different approach. There's no reason in the world why S&G can't take a small band to a theater or club tour and play multiple dates at each venue and charge a lot less.

Jonathan

16. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Uh, I don't think so. No sale here. I'll listen to my CDs, thank you.

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

17. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I'm not sure they are worth this much.

That's a lot of Super Audio discs and DVDs. No sale.

18. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

It's really not their fault, as long as you have scalpers and people willing to pay the scalpers prices, your going to have inflated prices. If S&G (or any other band or performer for that matter) see's fans paying big bucks for their shows...well they will just charge the high ticket prices them self's and take the profit out of the hands of the scalpers.

19. Ben

Ben New Member

He's got a good point, there....

20. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

I was looking forward to catching the Simon & Garfunkel "$$$hock and Awe" tour when it rolls into Los Angeles but at $85 I might be priced out of the market. So, I'm glad I was able to see them in '83. I think I griped about the tix prices back then, too! The difference was, being single, I seemed to have more disposable income relative to expenses. Come to think of it, bitching about concert prices is a rock 'n' roll tradition. Back in the 60's, a Fillmore show presented by Bill Graham featuring the Buffalo Springfield, the Yardbirds, and Martha & the Vandellas would set you back about 5 bucks -- and they *still* called him a capitalist pig!

Jim W.

21. jroyen

jroyen Forum Resident

Increasingly high ticket prices for most cultural events seem to be a systematic sign of the times. I was recently taken aback by ticket prices at the local college campus. It seems, now-a-days, even institutions of higher learning aren't immune; they won't attempt to introduce culture into the community without establishing a hefty fee. And the steep price gradient literally happened within a few short years.

Granted a third of the ticket price is sometimes tax deductible, and they attract quality artists: Wynton Marsalis, Chuck Mangione, Michael Feinstein, Jane Monheit, The New York Philharmonic etc. But for a pricing tier ranging between $75-$200, and upwards of $650 for gala events, there are far better ways to spend that money. Heck, to see the New York Philharmonic on opening night in a far better venue - a little place called Avery Fisher Hall :) - would cost far less: 1st Tier and Preferred Orchestra $105 and 3rd Tier $45.

Like 50 Cent said, "Get Rich or Die Tryin'." :)

22. jroyen

jroyen Forum Resident

If the recording artist has a poor opinion of scalpers, but then decides to beat the scalper at his/her own game, what does that make the artist? It seems selfish and greedy not wanting an unreasonable markup on a fair price if it isn't your profit. Not to mention, the artist, promoters, brokers etc. are basically saying that they want a piece of the thieves' action. :)

23. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

FWIW, the entry level price in *many* cities will be between $48.00-$52.00.

As far as Cleveland goes, I've sat in the $50.00 seats for concerts at Gund Arena and have enjoyed myself immensely there. I'll be there again, in those seats, for this show.

The way I look at it, I paid 20 bucks to see them in 1983 at the Akron Rubber Bowl in what was essentially a glorified football stadium, with crappy bench seats, lousy views, and bad sound. That makes the 50 clams a little easier for me to handle here.

24. StrawberryFields

StrawberryFields Active Member

Boy, this is a long way from the days I saw Si and Gar reunite for the "Together For McGovern" concert in NYC! And how about the irony of the statement that appeared in the liner notes of the "Old Friends" comp box: "Yet the virginal enthusiasm and childish wanderlust at the heart of "America" - and the way Garfunkel's chaste, floating vocal evokes images of cloudless skies, open roads and Greyhound-bus romance - have survived intact even if the landscape itself has been scarred by AIDS, homelessness and Reaganomics".... Wow, talk about Reaganomics and ticket prices!

25. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

See 'em for free on Letterman tonight, 9/12. See Dave announce he's an expectant father as an added bonus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.