Simon, Taylor and Garfunkel

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by L.P., Apr 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Wonderful World was from a very brief time when all three performers were under contract with Columbia, with this maybe being Paul's final recording for Columbia before leaving for WB. (Anybody know for sure?)

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

The Floyd reference is more likely to an old British show tune Run Rabbit Run then to Updike.

Regandron, adriatikfan and nicktf like this.
  3. DHamilton

DHamilton Forum Resident

it is mastered very well too, imo...!

4. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

JT and Paul did a duet of Cathy's Clown on SNL. It supposedly was the centerpiece of an all-covers lp Paul recorded as his last obligation to Columbia.
    It was rejected by Columbia and Greatest Hits Etc came out instead.

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. Both the Floyd and the Wings reference are almost certainly to the Showtune 'Run Rabbit Run', which was a popular song for the duo 'Flanagan and Allen', released either just before or just after the start of WW2.

It became a popular song of defiance during the War and remained popular beyond the War years.

Best Wishes,
    David

6. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Macca's certainly will be; it would be right up his street

7. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Simon, Garfunkel and Williams would have been a formidable trio as well.

Headfone and jamesmaya like this.
  8. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I'm the opposite of the OP - love S&G and solo Art (I feel Art's solo work is like a continuation of S&G but without S!) A lot of Art's solo stuff would slot in seamlessly on a S&G album. Simon solo is okay in places and I like some of it but most of it doesn't do much for me. Do love "Boy In The Bubble"

9. Garfunkel did some nice takes on Jimmy Webb's material.

Hep Alien and DEAN OF ROCK like this.
  10. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

I know what you mean. Paul Simon solo has a different "feel". His solo material is not as accessible as his work with Garfunkel. I'm a huge fan of his solo career, but I can understand some people not liking it and looking for Garfunkel material for the softer, melodic side of the duo. That may well be the reason why Simon changed his mind at the eleventh hour about bringing back the duo in 1982. He realized he would attract an audience that hadn't kept up with his solo career and would compare "Think Too Much" (as the comeback album was going to be titled) with "Bridge Over Troubled Water".

11. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I agree but Simon doesn't seem to be writing the kind of material that would be suitable for them these days. It might challenge Paul to write 'updated' S+G songs, considering the sensibilities of, say, 'Old Friends' or "Only Living Boy in NY" from the other side of the original sentiments. Or if James and Paul could find some fruitful common ground to explore based on a song like "Only A Dream in Rio" and "The Coast". Not to mention it might be gratifying to hear JT outside of his comfort zone, and Artie has shown a willingness to succesfully explore and integrate other genres into pop music ("His verison of "I Shall Sing" almost - almost- beats Van's).

Beyond them, there's a bunch of artists I think would benefit from collaboration - those still active from the Byrds, Springfield, Hollies, CSNY, Poco, SHF family tree for instance, who might work together in a new incarnation.

Hep Alien likes this.
  12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I don't see it. Are you outside the U.S.?

13. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

Angel Clare, Breakaway, Watermark, and Scissors Cut all contain some very nice work. Everything Waits To Be Noticed from 2002 was also a nice surprise; it's pretty solid.

Hep Alien and Humbuster like this.
  14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I remember liking some things from it on that 2 CD Garfunkel comp Sony put out a few years ago.

15. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

That's true. Judging from what we heard in the Central Park concert and "Hearts and Bones", which was originally going to be a S&G album, Paul would not try to write any differently from what he has done as a solo artist if the duo reunited. That is exactly why old S&G fans would be disappointed.

Regandron likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.