Simple tweaks to optimize Klipsch Heresys

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by action pact, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member

Though the Heresy is certainly not a bottom octave hitter true, the complaints and knocks on it's lack of bass are exaggerated, grossly exaggerated

For normal listening the Heresy is fine; it's sins of omission are out weighed by what it does nicely (if you like horns)

The lack of bass accusers are often just following the herd and have never owned a pair; just another example of internet noise

That, or they are often making comparisons to other design types

No, the Heresy is not a full range home theater bass pump

It is a very fine, clear sounding horn speaker that is excellent for listening to Music at sane levels

2. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

Art Dudley on the Heresy III's bass performance, fwiw:
    Additional listening confirmed my mixed impressions. I loved the Heresy III's bass performance, and even though the speaker didn't go terribly deep (Klipsch says the Heresy III extends to 58Hz; corner placement helped it go a little deeper than that in my room), low-frequency notes were realistically taut and fast, with lots of substance and very good touch. In "Bitch," from the Rolling Stones' Sticky Fingers (LP, Rolling Stones COC 59100), the kick drum and electric bass had terrific body and momentum. I heard the same qualities in Paul Chambers's string bass in "Flamenco Sketches," from Miles Davis's Kind of Blue (LP, Columbia/Classic CS 8163). As I scribbled in my listening notes, "This is exactly how I think a string bass ought to sound." The Heresy III didn't allow the instrument its full weight, of course, but it had color and body, and it played the notes engagingly, in tune and in time.

Daedalus, mtgray and Rolltide like this.
  3. The bass paper cone transducer are closer to 10" than 12", I've considered replacing them with Celestion Transducers but they will have to blow up first and so far they haven't!
    Cheers,

Rolltide likes this.
  4. I agree, mine are very nice when paired with my Yaqin MC100B tube amp in Triad Mode (30 watts per channel) in stand alone mode. I must confess that I also own a surround sound system for my multichannel SACDs, granted this makes a bad comparison with the 60 watt tube amp as I send out 800watts at 8ohms to my Radian 215 Bass guitar stage speaker! That bad boy covers everything from 2Htz to 200Htz and so far has put every other bass support speaker amp combination I have owned to shame.
    So everything once again is relative...
    Cheers,

5. It is for the sheer challenge of it!
    I don't paint, race cars, sky dive, surf, play baseball or many of the other things people do to challenge themselves. For me pushing the envelope of audio appreciation without breaking the bank has always been a good challenge. I value the vintage treasures I've managed to collect and hold onto for the last 40 years most of which all still work just fine. I own 'Dark Side of the Moon' on LP, 180 gram LP, CD, DVD (live concert) and SACD (stereo and multi channel), and I can hear/feel the difference between them on different systems, and I appreciate all of them for what they are!
    I live for this stuff!
    Cheers,

6. I'm sorry, I believe they are for Everything!
    When later in life I am down to just one amp and two speakers they will most likely be my Heresy speakers!
    Cheers,

7. Has anyone considered Great Stuff spray on foam?
    I've used it in lots of projects over the years, so long as it does not get hit with direct sunlight it seems to last forever!
    Maybe I'll give it a try...
    Cheers,

8. Hi there - I am running a pair of Original series Klipsch Heresy speakers with no mods at all, even still on old stock crossovers. Maybe they could be improved but I'm not willing to try with mine, not yet anyway, maybe they still have another decade or so left in them, I hope I last that long!
    Cheers,

Daedalus likes this.
  9. Lots of folks just hate anything from China, I have no such prejudice.
    If I could have acquired an equal amp from the EU or the USA I would have but those amps (excluding old Dynaco tube amps) are all out of my price range and I wanted something new, I already have enough old vintage and modified gear.
    Cheers,

10. Hey we all get to use what we like, those Synergy F2s have got to be absolutely awesome!!!
    What do you heat those up with?
    I'm jealous...
    Cheers,

The Pinhead likes this.
  11. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

These 2 babies, alternatively.

For concert DVD watching, a 1982 Technics SU-V5 (60wpch) :

[​IMG]

For vinyl and cds, a 1979 Pioneer SX-980(80wpch) :

[​IMG]

Both warm and musical amps, in mint condition I've owned for the last 20 years. I find my synergy towers awesome indeed for the type of music I listen to.

Daedalus and ddarch like this.
  12. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I thought you liked equipment on the bright side.:)

13. Man that Pioneer is a beauty, I always like their equipment, I have an older and smaller Pioneer driving the audio in my RV from an inverter. I never cared much for in dash audio systems - you just can't do much with 4ohm car speakers.
    Cheers,

PatrickG and The Pinhead like this.
  14. The Pinhead

Not paired with bright speakers. ;)

utahusker likes this.
  15. JJuntunen

JJuntunen New Member

It seems like the only real heresy about these speakers is liking them. I have a pair of original Heresy paired with a set of KG4s driven by a couple of modified Bogen MO-200As (haven't gotten around to making one into a single stereo amp yet). I've never heard anything more detailed or present. But I guess my experience might be stunted by my budget. I've found nothing fatiguing about them either, and the bass is clear, thick, and powerful. I really have no idea what anybody would mean by "weak bass". Maybe the problem is with the amp.

I also love the ease with which anything can drive them. It doesn't take much power to get a full and loud sound. I just can't find fault with these. Accounting for a supposedly niche design or not: they sound wonderful across the entire spectrum of musical genera. If anybody hates their pair and wants to give them to me, I'll pay shipping.

16. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

The original Heresy was my first speaker purchase after demoing a bunch of speakers back in the day of the original stereo store Tweeter, etc. -kept those for 25 years and sold them- thinking that I needed a better speaker. Well I missed them so much that I started looking for another pair on the used market-ended up with a mint pair of Heresy II. I also have a pair of Lascalas-circa 1980. I have had other speakers such as Alon Lotus, Vienna Acoustic Bach, Spendor 3/5 which all had their strengths but there is something about playing live recordings through Klipsch Heresy that can't be beat. I haven't tweaked mine-just keep the noses pointed up a couple of inches off the floor. Live Dead anyone!!

MikeDavid likes this.
  17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the best 'tweak' i ever did for my kilpsch was told to me by steve hoffman:

he told me to tape a piece of tissue paper on my speaker and let the tissue hang over my horns......it worked wonders...still there to this day, and still sounding just grand.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  18. Threshold

Threshold Well-Known Member

Just a thought 5 Heresy's & a pair of subs. Has anyone tried it????

19. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

over the whole thing?

20. rjp

rjp Senior Member

hanging down over the whole horn, yes. 1 kleenex tissue did the trick, i think its a 2-ply.

21. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Major note.

The Klipsch Heritage line and extended Heritage (Chorus, Forte, Quartet) are best when used with tube amplifiers, or with 45-50 watt and under low damping factor SS amplifiers. Placement is critical. Quality of sources and music played also important.

22. JJuntunen

JJuntunen New Member

Quality of music source is key. Stuff that sounds bad sounds very bad on these. But when Wynton Marsalis' Septet on Joe's Cool Blues, or Lewis Nash's It Don't Mean A Thing plays through my modded Denon DVD-2910, or Miles Davis' 'Round About Midnight from a sweet, mono heavy pressing: the music sounds live.

The Pinhead likes this.
  23. The Pinhead

In typical Klipsch fashion;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.