Simply Vinyl Reissue label...quality??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wags, Oct 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben

Ben New Member

Simply Vinyl sucks.

Quality control is nil.

It's all marketing - kind of.

Haven't heard one decent pressing...and I've listened to more than a few.

Ben

P.S. Good to see Tom get his blood pressure up and percolating....I just wish he would quit beating around the bush and tell the board what he really thinks! (Hi, Tom)

2. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Well I have a few $30 burns in my wallet as well due to SV. They are quiet though, I'll give you that.

On the Clash,
    I'm not sure which titles have been re-issued by SV. For the first two (The Clash and Just Give'em Enough Rope) I can't see going for audiophile considering the type of music, a UK pressing would probably be more than what you'd need. For the great London Calling and Sandanista, the Japanese pressings are extrodinary (particularly London Calling) and true audiophile quality. If you're a fan of these LPs you might try to find a Japanese pressing.

Ed, I agree completely with you on the US vinyl ranking significantly behind Japan and the UK.

John

3. tamman

tamman Forum Resident

I would agree that the Simply Vinyl pressings are quiet, I have many Mofi, Nautilus, Quiex and Direct to Disk to compare with, plus several Japanese and German pressings. SV are among the quietest. I believe that Tom Port has said, and I'll echo, their Dire Straits collection is great.

4. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

True, the Dire straits on Simply Vinyl aren't bad but if you can find the american pressing with the "Quiex" label of "Love over Gold" that was released in the 80's you will be shocked how much more natural and revealing it is(you should be able to find it in the used record store for about $5~$10).

5. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Simply Vinyl may CLAIM not to be an audiophile record company, though with the prices they charge, ARE something the consumer should expect to be of audiophile quality.

Haven't bought any of their titles as of yet, their reputation seems spotty at best.

6. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

When considering Simply Vinyl the words that come to mind are not 'quality' or 'audiophile' but 'caveat emptor'!

7. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

The best advice is to ask Tom Port about SV titles, he's listened to them, and will carry and endorse only the best titles. The ones he recommened to me have been fine!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.