Simpsons creator bashes Fox network, plots feature film debut

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Mar 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

Simpsons creator bashes Fox network, plots feature film debut

By Kevin Williamson
    Calgary Sun

It was enough to make Matt Groening yelp 'Doh!'

Last year, after an interviewer asked The Simpsons creator how long his animated juggernaut could go on, it was reported around the world that Homer was about to scarf down his last doughnut.

"All I said was we're closer to the end than the beginning and since we started in 1987, I didn't think we'd be on the air in 2030 or whatever. That's all I meant," Groening tells the Sun.

"But it looks like we're going to be on forever. That's my new line."

The same isn't true for his other cartoon comedy, the space-age Futurama, which never took off like its earthbound big brother.

Discussing the DVD of Futurama's first season, Groening confirms that, while Fox still has a number of episodes in the bank, production has halted and the cast and crew have moved on.

For that, Groening squarely blames Fox.

"The people at Fox didn't ever support the show and it wasn't to their taste and, in my opinion, they're out of their minds.

"But they don't like The Simpsons either. The idea of a TV show that they haven't gotten their greasy fingers all over creatively drives them nuts. That's why almost everything else is so lousy. The groundbreaking shows, the ones that cause the most intense reaction, are not the result of too many cooks. It's a strong, creator-driven vision.

"They just fired the guy who created The Bernie Mac Show. I'm sure that show is getting much, much better now. The fans loved (Futurama), but they couldn't find it. It never got promoted. The fans delivered a petition with 130,000 signatures and there was no reaction from Fox.

"We won the Emmy for best animated show a few months ago and I didn't even get a begrudging phone call from anyone at Fox. That's a dark company that they can't even make a fake phone call."

And as any Simpsons fan knows, Groening and his writers relish the chance to mock the once-fledgling fourth network.

"I love the strength of The Simpsons -- that we can get away with so much. They don't like it. We took jabs at Fox News and we were told not to, so we decided to do it more."

Certainly, Fox is in no position to threaten the series, which remains one of its most popular hits and has spawned a merchandising empire. Not bad for a series that was conceived in the late '80s when James L. Brooks, who was producing The Tracey Ullman Show, hired Groening to create animated shorts for Ullman's show.

After 48 shorts, The Simpsons went solo and became an instant sensation.

Many of the early episodes were penned by Groening and co-producer Sam Simon and, unlike many creators who abandon ship after the first few years, Groening remains very much involved with The Simpsons on a daily basis -- whether it's tinkering on toys, games and DVDS, or reading over scripts and giving input.

The show's staff writers include several Canadians, including Joel Cohen, who hails from Calgary.

"Canadians are funny," Groening says. "It's surprising. Listen, my ancestors are from Norway, Russia and Holland -- not areas of the world you associate with knee-slapping comedy."

With The Simpsons recently renewed for at least two more seasons, it's set to become the longest running comedy in television history.

Beyond the small screen, there's also the much-rumoured Simpsons feature film, which Groening confirms he's working on. "We're talking about doing it. We just want to make sure, if we do, it doesn't follow in the dismal footsteps of other currently-running TV shows turned into movies. I can only think of one that worked and that was South Park," he says.

"You want to honour the fans of the show, but you want to give them a little more. With the TV show, every week it's like a little movie. There are certainly enough incidents to fill a regular movie comedy. Whether people could stand it for an hour and a half, I don't know."

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Fox sure did miss the boat with FUTURAMA; I thought that was consistently funny and fresh(the Star Trek episode is a scream, and everybody went along with the gag).

The problems Groening encountered with FUTURAMA mirror another Fox series: THE X-FILES. With its success, the Fox brass were clamoring for something else in the same general vein. Chris Carter came up with the darker but well done MILLENNIUM. It wasn't what Fox was expecting, apparently(what they wanted was an X-F clone)and they did nothing to promote it after its first weeks on the air. Lasted a few seasons in spite of that, but was never properly resolved. FUTURAMA, similarly, must have seemed to Fox as being much quirkier than what they wanted, but gave the show some time on the air so as not to offend Groening too much.

Still, both Groening and Carter were obviously stung and more than a little embittered by the lack of network support after they were approached--and probably begged by brass--to come up with another ratings winner. Properly handled and promoted, both would have at least broke even, but that's not enough anymore, I guess.

ED:cool:

3. freeflyt

freeflyt Active Member

Futurama

FYI - Futurama is running on the Cartoon Network; Sunday - Thursday 11:00 PM Pacific.

4. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Re: Futurama

Season 1 is out on DVD TODAY!

I'm off to Best Buy right after work...can't wait!

5. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Simpsons is my favorite show of all time but I could never get into Futurama. It's better than that Family Guy show that kept disappearing and reappearing on Fox's schedule.

6. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Futurama was a blast; great computer animation, and great, quirky characters. "Bite my shiny metal ass!"

7. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

A few years ago when I first started watching this show with my son, I always imagined how great it would look on DVD!

Got the set today and it looks even better than I'd imagined! I've only watched two episodes, but it sure made me laugh and it brought back some memories from not that long ago in the future...

My favorite bit: when Bender gets scared and a brick drops out of his ass!:laugh:

8. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I liked FAMILY GUY, although most of its humor was cruel or tasteless asides. You certainly didn't watch it for the stories. I enjoyed THE PJS even more, and hope that comes out on DVD some time.

I'm surprised Groening doesn't think Fox supported FUTURAMA. It seemed to have an enviable slot preceding or following THE SIMPSONS, not to mention the NFL lead-in to both shows, and MALCOLM IN THE MIDDLE. Fox pretty much made sure the Sunday evening audience wouldn't bother to change the channel. And I'm sure FUTURAMA got a lot more leeway as it was coming from their cash cow; I just don't think it was very good.

If I were Groening, I wouldn't boast about being actively involved with THE SIMPSONS these past three or four years. Maybe with the plug pulled on FUTURAMA, he can pay more attention to his Springfield universe.

9. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

There it is folks - it's official :D :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

All the best - Andrew

10. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Well, I liked Futurama, but I always question the logic that Sunday football is a strong lead-in. I looooooooooove football, but after watching a game for 2.5 hours (never-mind those Sundays where I've watched 2 or more), I'm ready to "GIT UP AND MOVE".

Despite MY preferences, those that DESPISE football (like my sis-in-law, who loves sarcastic humor, but loathes pigskin) are at the mercy of the length of the game to determine "Futurama" start up time.

For west coast folk: This may be an east-coast thing - but the second afternoon Sunday football game starts at 4 PM here, and ends at............

6:30? 7:14? 8:12? Whenever it ends - - it is followed by a half an hour of NFL league summary coverage and another half an hour of "Fox Local News". So Futurama may start at....... 7:30? 8:14? 9:12?

To be honest, if you hate football, you'd have to love Futurama more than the 'puter, a phone call, dinner out, and sex to try to determine when the hell it's going to be on if it "follows immediately after football and the Fox News".

11. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Wow, great post Al! All true!

I'm not a pigskin fan, and I can't can't tell you how many times I'd have to stop having sex with my wife just to watch Futurama!

Some would say this led to our divorce, but I think she just hated Matt Groening...

12. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Indeed, the Simpsons has been noticeably declining in quality since season 8 or so, getting steadily worse to the point where I've stopped watching it regularly. I liked Futurama because it had the sharpness of the Simpsons' early years. The logical thing to have done would be stick it on the schedule right after the Simpsons. In that slot it would have been a hit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.