"Sinatra: Best of the Best" CD to combine Capitol and Reprise recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Sep 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

Thanks. My mistake.

2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

It's a poor choice of title. "Best" has been overused in Sinatra album titles: "Nothing but the Best," "Best of Vegas," "The Very Best of the Rat Pack," "Best of the Best," ad nauseum. Even Nancy Sinatra thinks so, which is why announcements of this CD were held up for over a month at the SFF. Unfortunately, that's what they went with.

Don't get hung up on the semantics. It's a comp for the holiday season. More important is the cooperation with Capitol. As I said earlier, that's the most significant aspect of the single-disc release to me.

3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

ZING was an alternate take, on the new Ring-a-Ding-Ding.

4. And it was a better-sounding take than the one released by Warner back in the '90s, too!!!:righton:

5. Sean Keane

Thanks. Forgot that one. So now we're up to two alternate takes having been released by his two major labels, Steve's My Kind Of Town making it three, but that's a DCC. Four if you count the British box (The Song Is You). A single Presley FTD disc can contain many more alternates than this.

Geez, there's even an unofficial disc of Columbia alternates. Surely Capitol and Reprise can gleen enough to at least put out one or two with every reissue of best-ofs they release.

6. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

i hear you, Capitol has new owners now, so maybe more will be coming...

will be curious to see the sales on this one as you have made a solid point, the title/concept has been done to death...still whatever is left as far as stores/retail go, will not stock bulk on an old best of, meaning each year they really have to craft something new for holiday gift giving...if they hope to sell some units...

might make more sense to bundle something with a "sinatra exclusive holiday ornament"...

7. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Lets hope this may even make it easier for MFSL to continue or restart the Capitol album remasters from where they left off before, with follow up's to "Only The Lonely" & Nice 'n' Easy".

8. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

They had their chance when they released "Sinatra & Strings" and several other Reprise albums as audiophile MFSL vinyl 1-2 years ago, but no CD version ever appeared.

The family seems to be saying no to anything that competes with what they're releasing.

9. Sean Keane

But, Bob, that cooperation goes back ten years, twenty if you coun't the mini-series set. Why only now do you forsee it as a harbinger of great releases?

By the way, shouldn't a comp for the holiday season contain something a little extra to celebrate about? Perhaps even a short bonus disc of alternates from his Capitol and Reprise Christmas albums? That would be a holiday treat.

10. Bob F

Try to cheer up, Sean. :D

11. Sean Keane

Bob, I'm not as miserable as I may seem to you.

I'm just a frustrated loser with nothing better to do but complain, okay? :realmad:

:laugh:

12. MLutthans

Hey, stop trying to muscle in on my territory, Sean! :winkgrin:

Seriously, even with the Capitol tracks on there, in the end it's just more of the same, no? (Unless it has stunning remixing/remastering, which I'll believe if/when I hear it -- Hope springs eternal.)

Matt

13. Bob F

Sean, I understand that you feel strongly about the quality of Frank Sinatra releases. I share many of your concerns. I just can't see the purpose in arguing every time a new issue appears. It's not like I work for the Sinatra estate. Wish I did. ;)

If I wasn't so obsessive about collecting Sinatra CDs, I'd probably pass on this one. But I'll buy it because there's always the possibility there will be some new mastering difference to hear. Either way, what's the point of bitchin' six weeks in advance?

14. MLutthans

I can't get over how horrid the 2013 releases are going to be....

15. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

16. Sean Keane

Bob, I know of a guy who collects EVERY CD of Frank Sinatra, even the cheap ones you see everywhere. He has them all. Every one. That's got to be over a couple of thousand.

17. Bob F

Talking about yourself in the third person? :D

18. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

This got me thinking about the coordinated release of the two Rolling Stones LP box sets from last year...

19. Sean Keane

I have enough Sinatra CDs with overlapping material. The discs I'm talking about are those foreign CDs that are made by just lifting off already existing discs. You know, all that Dorsey and Columbia material packaged in a box with a picture of a 1970s Frank and titled something like Good Ol' Blue Eyes Swings Happy Movie Songs on labels with names like Blot Star Dynamic.

I get stuff like those now hard to find Harry James/Sinatra ones, the On The Air series, Ridgeway discs, Jazz Hour...I also have a lot of good even more unofficial discs. I sometimes why I bother, but I started in 1989 and figure I might as well continue.

20. Sean Keane

Or discs called something like Sexy Sinatra - Crooning Chairman Of The Board Sings Big Hits and it contains The Woody Woodpecker Song and Cherry Pies Ought To Be You and has a cover with Frank running to evade the Australian press in 1974 and the label is Finger Prick.

21. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

George likes spicy chicken... ;)

22. Sean Keane

What?

23. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

24. Sean Keane

25. Bob F