Sinatra / Capitol: General Purpose Sound Quality (and more) Discussion Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Nov 10, 2009.

1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Any idea when/where this was recorded?

2. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

5/14/59, Hollywood: Moulin Rouge

MLutthans likes this.
  3. MLutthans

Before or after the last recording session for No One Cares, which falls on the same date? Recorded by Capitol? Wally Heider?

4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

If you have a nice old mono side logo you can spare, you could be sending one to McLover.

MLutthans likes this.
  5. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The reason I asked about Bing was because that “Capitol” acetate @jtaylor showed is dated five months later, October 16, 1959. In fact, that was three days before the taped broadcast of the first Frank Sinatra Timex Show on TV, which did include medleys with Frank, Dean, and Bing.

Of course, the other performers mentioned by Jordan eliminates that possibility and nails it as the Share “Boomtown Party” show in May. It looks like the charity album was not mastered/released until October.

6. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

FWIW, the Capitol session ran from 5 to 8 p.m. That’s early for a typical Sinatra session, so perhaps the Boomtown event came after?

MLutthans likes this.
  7. MLutthans

Funny....I've driven by this building many times and never realized it was the old Earl Carroll Theatre, later Moulin Rouge. I think of it as the Nickelodeon Studios.
    MoulinRouge1.jpg Moulin Rouge.jpg
    "Thru these portals pass the most beautiful girls in the world."
    Aquarius9.jpg
    The Aquarius Theater
    Earl Carroll Theatre

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    hodgo, kennyluc1, paulmock and 3 others like this.
  8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

9. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

It's kinda small...

10. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Ya think ? I can’t read it even if I blow it up!

11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Funny, when I posted, it was larger. Maybe I can fix it

12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Maybe this is better. Not explicitly Sinatra, but somehow I bet Schulz had Snoopy listening to Sinatra

[​IMG]

MichaelM, Brian Mc and MMM like this.
  13. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Just FYI: I’m in Philadelphia for a work trip. The record store Long in the Tooth has a beautiful looking copy of the MFSL Silver Box from 1983. Records appeared almost unplayed. Only $300. Box looked to be in great shape.

Simon A, teag and paulmock like this.
  14. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

That's a great price...definitely worth picking up if you can, even considering the issues that I have with it, which you may or may not agree with.

CBackley and paulmock like this.
  15. teag

teag Forum Resident

Buy!

CBackley likes this.
  16. CBackley

Oh, I wish! But I just bought a new phono preamp, SACD player, CD player, AND component rack. If I returned from my business trip with a $300 Sinatra box set, I’d have some serious explaining to do.

Ridin'High likes this.
  17. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

If things go bad after the purchase, you'll need that copy of ONLY THE LONELY in there, so maybe hold off...

CBackley likes this.
  18. CBackley

Hahaha

I went to a few record stores on this trip and bought several great records, including some classic Sinatra albums. I got a nice D1/D3 mono pressing of No One Cares. That album might be more fitting of my situation.

MMM and teag like this.
  19. MLutthans

From the 1956 Color Photography Annual magazine:
    s-l1600-481.jpg

20. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

From the little-known special The Ghost and Mr. Success...

21. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I have a few questions regarding pressings.

How does the late 1970s US pressing of This Is Sinatra sound? I know it’s abridged.

Additionally, can anyone comment on the SQ of the Dutch DMM pressing of Songs For Young Lovers?

22. MLutthans

I have not heard it, but based on the sources used on other mono-only era Sinatra recordings that appeared in 1984/1985 on non-DMM in the UK and DMM in The Netherlands, I'm 99-44/100% sure that it would have good sound quality (no reverb added), but in a jumbled running order, which bugs the crud out of me. I'd be happier with "average" sound in the correct order, as intended. The 10" LP from a few years ago, while not 100% flawless, is quite good and worth seeking out -- and has the track order as originally intended and originally released.

The MFP CD is terrific, if that matters, and they are almost literally giving them away: https://www.amazon.com/Songs-Young-Lovers-Swings-Easy/dp/B0000073TP.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    paulmock, aoxomoxoa, hodgo and 3 others like this.
  23. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Thanks Matt

I picked up the MFP last week at a shop in New Jersey for $1.99. Sounds great!

hodgo, shicorp and MLutthans like this.
  24. MLutthans

Some of you may recall that 1987 video that I linked here a while back.
    Screen shot 2018-10-16 at 7.15.36 PM.png
    I'm just impressed that Capitol had the foresight to include the 2018 Stereo Mix in their 1987 promo video.

kennyluc1, aoxomoxoa, hodgo and 3 others like this.
  25. Artur Torres

Artur Torres New Improved Full Dimensional Stereo

I do not understand why they did not do a deluxe version of "Come Fly With Me" and only did "Only the Lonely" because it is also a superb album. Billy May's arrangements are insurmountable, lush, warm.