Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: Songs for Young Lovers, rel. 1954*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

So much for the Record Store Day "exclusive." Copies of the 10″ LP are available from numerous third-party sellers on Amazon, some for nearly HALF the original price. (Anyone besides me feel ripped off?)

US —> amazon.com/dp/B00SRZ0IL6
    UK —> amazon.co.uk/dp/B00SRZ0IL6

Simon A, Bob Belvedere and mikrt17 like this.
  2. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

I feel ripped off, I should have waited but the record is so good I really think it's worth it.

rangerjohn likes this.
  3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I feel doubly ripped off. Not only did I wait in line and pay full price on RSD, but I ordered a second copy off eBay at a premium price so I could keep one sealed. Never again. :realmad:

4. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

I did the waiting in line thing, as well, and the whole time, I kept thinking of the 2010 JOLLY CHRISTMAS release, which was also an "event"-style release, and copies were available for months, if not years, afterward. I had an inkling the same may be true with SFYL, but of course, wanted to "play it safe," so I made the pilgrimage. Factoring in driving time, that was over 3 hours for a 20-minute 10" LP.

Remind me again why my wife is correct sometimes in thinking I'm an idiot??????

5. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

There is only one U.S. seller offering the disc at a significant discount -- and that is Marvelio, a deep-discount store that has sometimes dubious customer service (in my experience, anyway).

Plus, once you add the $4 shipping charge you're still paying $19 for the item. I paid $23 at retail, and knew I was getting a perfect copy with no dinged corners or (frustratingly routine for LPs) shipping damage.

Bob Belvedere, mikrt17 and TLMusic like this.
  6. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

That's interesting, because two of the three sellers offering the record at low prices ($14.99 and $16.66 + $3.99 shipping) are based in the UK. I've bought a lot of records from the UK, and typically the seller pays an absolute minimum of £6.70 (about $10.25 US) to ship an LP to the US. It may be even more now. And that's sticking the record in a thin envelope, which almost certainly guarantees damage. Usually, shipping LPs from the UK costs more--in the neighborhood of $15-20, if the packaging is, shall we say moderately "robust".

How they can offer the product at that low price does not make much sense to me. I would expect that it will be shipped in very light packaging, which is standard in the UK. So, unless you don't mind the jacket bent, (and the record possibly broken in half) this might not be the great bargain it appears to be at first glance.

For what it's worth, I paid $27.98 including shipping from a US vendor on Discogs, which seemed reasonable--no line, no long wait, and packaging was sturdy. I'm happy with the transaction and the product.

Bob Belvedere and mikrt17 like this.
  7. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

Yup. Almost every time I've had LPs shipped from the UK, they arrive looking like they've been to hell and back. And that's not counting the ones that get held up in customs.

8. TLMusic

:agree: It's unfortunate. People I know who have lived in England say the postal system there is wonderful. Packages are handled carefully and deliveries are frequent.

I wonder if sellers in the UK do not understand the sort of abuse that a package will receive once it goes in an airplane and then gets thrown around by the USPS, with heavy boxes stacked on top. I cannot count the number of times I've sent an email to a UK vinyl seller begging them to pack well, only to nonetheless receive a damaged item in frail packaging.

Bob Belvedere and mikrt17 like this.
  9. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I paid $24.99 at retail, plus $1.56 sales tax = $26.55 vs. $18,97 shipped from Marvello. That's a 28% reduction. Add the loss of sleep, time, and cost of gas, and I still feel ripped off by the RSD hype. I won't make the same mistake next year.

Bob Belvedere likes this.
  10. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

I'm in the UK and I can say from experience that the postal system here is not very good in regard to looking after parcels, everything goes into a large sack
    with dozens of parcels and packets piled on top and yes most UK sellers use those thin record mailers which always guarantees bent corners, when I buy anything through the post here I call the seller and insist they use a record box and bubble wrap and point out that if the sleeve is damaged I will send it back it works every time and now my records arrive in perfect condition, there are a few dealers here who now use boxes as the standard method for posting discs.

rangerjohn, Bob Belvedere and TLMusic like this.
  11. MLutthans

Boy, I order LPs from the UK pretty routinely, and have for a few years now. Never had much in the way of problems. (Sure, there's the rare one, but that happens with US sellers, too.)

12. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Plus, don't forget as earlier posted...on RSD itself there were copies of the 10" LP going for face value (with expedited shipping to make profit). There were a few copies going for just a few bucks more than face. They went quickly. So there were definite options to standing in long lines, etc. Hey! If that's your thing and you enjoy "the experience" that's great. Just not for me anymore.

Also, for comparison, last year's RSD edition of Dream with Dean was readily available online on RSD and was around for quite some time after at barely inflated prices. That copy, BTW is nothing to write home about and all copies of that album are now paled in comparison by a WIDE margin by the fabulous AS 45RPM edition! :love:

DLant likes this.
  13. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

In my experience there are a few items every RSD that end up being genuinely hard to get. Those usually end up being by artists with large, fanatical fan bases that also seem drawn to the whole vinyl fetish thing (think Jack White, Flaming Lips, Phish, etc.). Almost everything else ends up being relatively easy to come by at a reasonable price if you are patient. I love RSD at my local shop because it's a fun event with DJs, live performances, a big store wide sale, etc. But I never sweat getting the limited releases.

dayday and Simon A like this.
  14. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

I never leave LPs sealed. I always remove the cellophane. Over time the cellophane could tighten and warp the record.

Simon A, DLant and Bob Belvedere like this.
  15. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I've been told that just breaking the seal at some place on the wrap (a small slit or the like) allows the cellophane to breathe and that keeps it from tightening. I don't know how true that is but have heard it from several collectors over the years.

DLant likes this.
  16. MLutthans

THIS POST IS INTENDED TO SERVE TWO VERY DISTINCT (DISTINK-ED?) PURPOSES:

1. Defective pressings. As I've said, my copy of the RSD 10" LP sounds very good, and the vinyl quality is excellent, but you may recall this post that contains a message from a friend who posts here only rarely, but whose ears and turntable I trust:
    A few minutes ago, he sent me an audio clip of his quick-n-dirty-for-illusrative-purposes-only needledrop, along with this:
    So, again, even though my copy was problem-free, I'm posting this here just in case problems should start turning up, or should somebody be morbidly curious. Here's his clip (not my own):
    https://app.box.com/s/2aghubc2uch3lfqqnd5cnu1txtmbvctu

2. Once again, we have a new version (this RSD 10" LP) that has a mastering defect. I completely missed this when I played my LP last Saturday, but did you catch what weird thing happens at the end of "The Girl Next Door" in that clip I just put up? Never mind all the surface noise on that defective pressing, did you catch the mastering error? There's a fade at the end of the song. Why is there now a fade at the end of this song? There's not supposed to be a fade there. How does this stuff keep happening???

Do any other songs now feature fade-outs? I haven't checked yet. I only caught that one because it was in the middle of that clip that I was sent.

What the heck?

hodgo, rangerjohn and Bob Belvedere like this.
  17. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Analysis by paralysis. It continues.

rangerjohn and MLutthans like this.
  18. MLutthans

Oh, my word....they've put fades on all the songs! [EDIT: Not all, just five that are audibly faded early. See post #371, below.]
    Paul the Prophet has struck gold.

There should not be fade-outs on these songs!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
    bozburn, Simon A, hodgo and 2 others like this.
  19. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Call me whatever....but this is a repeating process with your evaluation of new product. I mean no evil or harm...just stating fact. I BEGGED you to take time with Swingin' Brass before endorsing. It got ugly. Here we are again.

20. MLutthans

@paulmock - I meant the "prophet" thing as a complement! (I would never put you down, Paul.)

Fair enough, and I've mea culpa'd multiple times over that Swingin' Brass thing, and I'm (honestly) still unsure how I really feel about that new mix, and I did post comparison clips immediately so anybody could listen and get a feel for the mix with their own ears and reach their own conclusion, which is why I always post clips, so people can listen for themselves, instead of just listening to some guy (be it me or anybody else).

Anyway, we've been down that road.

The sound quality on the SFYL LP is still a-okay, as many here have enthusiastically stated, no new complaints there, EXCEPT for the odd addition of fadeouts at the end of tracks. Nothing wrong with the sound quality within the "body" of the songs, and let's face it, a lot of people aren't going to be bothered by the premature fades, but that doesn't make them any less inauthentic to the original.

Simon A, hodgo, rangerjohn and 2 others like this.
  21. MLutthans

OK, I've gone through and A/Bd the fades on different LP copies. There are songs on the RSD 10" where it's definitely faded earlier:

•Little Girl Blue -- arguably an improvement (of sorts) as on other copies it actually CUTS off, as was noted earlier in-thread. Here, it fades, albeit a hair earlier.
    •A Foggy Day
    •Like Someone in Love
    •The Girl Next Door
    •The Can't Take that Away from Me

The other three tracks may be handled a bit differently, but I can't really say it's any worse, anything substantive is missing, etc. Maybe so, but it's pretty inconsequential, if at all compared to other (older) cuts. The five listed, though, are faded early, but like the snipped note on track 11 on IN THE WEE SMALL HOURS, how much it bugs you is up to you. It's a good mastering otherwise, as many here have suggested, and I didn't notice the earlier fades when I played the LP, and nobody (to my knowledge) who has heard it has noticed it....but it's still not technically correct.

Bob F, profholt82, Simon A and 3 others like this.
  22. TLMusic

Great detective work!

I'd agree that only some of the tracks are faded early. For example, I just compared "Kick" on both the RSD and the MFSL vinyl, and the endings sound about the same to my ears. But, "Little Girl Blue" now has a gentle fade on the RSD.

Speaking of the MoFi vinyl from the 1983 silver box, I just gave that a listen. Mastering was by Stan Ricker, by the way. To my ears, the MoFi pressing mastering has a bit more vibrancy and dynamics than the new RSD 10". I especially like the kick drum punches on the MoFi "I Get A Kick".

The Record Store Day reissue is no slouch, though, in comparison. The sound is sweet and very easy on the ears.

23. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

@MLutthans

Matt can I just say the work, time and dedication you put into these Sinatra threads is appreciated by us all and essential reading for any fan of the great man's music.

Thank You! :cheers:

bozburn, Ere, profholt82 and 9 others like this.
  24. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I agree on all counts

TLMusic likes this.
  25. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

I had a couple of 2 hour drives in the past 10 days - something that's rare for me nowadays. I had my iPod with me - hooked up to the car radio. During those drives a couple of tunes came up from the MFP CD that has Songs For Young Lovers & Swing Easy on it.

I can't thank Bob and the rest of you guys for tipping me to that disc - it sounded terrific - even in the car! The fact that it was nighttime just made it better. Like I might have been sitting at one of those little round tables at small club years ago...Frank out front...orchestra behind him....not blasting him out. Smooth.