Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality, etc.: "Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely" (1958)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Feb 20, 2010.

1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

As good as Larry's mix is -- and I like it a lot -- to my ears, it's not in the ballpark of the original mix *when well mastered.* Both are good in their own ways, but boy, that original mix is primo, IMO.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  2. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Matt is the original mix on the "Alan Dell" LP, I'm not sure why but I've not listened to that one in a while, for some reason I've gone straight for the CD's, I'll have to rectify that matter once "Rare Sinatra" has finished playing.

3. MLutthans

Yes, except for one song that's in mono for some reason, even though that same song was issued in stereo by EMI in the UK eight years earlier. You can get all 12 songs in their original mix -- albeit in a jumbled running order -- on the excellent-sounding "One for My Baby" LP in the UK. To my knowledge, only three LPs have all 12 songs in their original mix and in their original running order: The 1973 Japanese issue, the 1978 [EDIT: 1975]* Dutch issue, and the 1983 MFSL. All others are either missing songs (most common), have songs in mono, or have a jumbled running order.

I almost soiled myself when, just a night or two ago, I got online to do my usual periodic scrounging for ONLY THE LONELY stuff, and found copies of both the Japanese and Dutch LPs for sale. That's the first time I have EVER seen the Japanese LP offered, and, I think, the third time I've seen the Dutch LP offered. I received an e-mail saying the Japanese pressing had shipped; still awaiting notification on the Dutch LP. Good times!

*Note that there is another Dutch pressing from 1984 -- the Dutch issue of the UK "Dell" LP, featuring DMM -- that has one song in mono. The 1978 LP has all twelve in stereo.

Here are the Japanese and Dutch covers. The Japanese LP was the first-ever release with all 12 songs in stereo, 15 years after the original LP was issued.
    SinatraSingsForOnlyTheLonelyJapaneseLP.jpg DutchSinatraCover.jpg

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  4. hodgo

Matt is this the one below?

The sad part is, I remember seeing this LP in the record racks in stores like Woolworths in the late 70's and early 80's, I remember cursing because they had this but not whatever album I was looking for at the time, now over 3 decades on it's being unable to find LP's such as this that now has me cursing.... Oh how age has changed me. :doh:

[​IMG]

5. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

That's the one, Graham.

6. hodgo

Thanks Bob :righton:

So now I'm in the position of hunting for a record that I once held in my hands cursing about in frustration because it wasn't the latest Dire Straits album or whatever I was looking for, the irony is not lost on me :shrug:

7. AxeD

AxeD Forum Resident

Yet another stereo pressing ...

By chance I came upon this LP a couple of weeks ago which has been released in Australia in the World Record Club series (W.R.C. S/5004) and contains all 12 songs in full stereo

Sinatra Only Lonely WRC.jpg

The deadwax/matrix information is
    S5004A YCAPX1015-3 (Side One)
    YCAPX1016-4 (Side Two)
    Unfortunately no information on the cover or label when this
    was released.

I have no proper set-up for (hi-res) needledrops
    but here are a few samples recorded with my Philips CD Recorder
    for illustration (apologies for the modest quality):

Only the lonely:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/buh4xo

It's a lonesome old town:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/mll7jh

Blues in the night:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/li35r2

Spring is here:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/8qc1ls

MLutthans likes this.
  8. AxeD

AxeD Forum Resident

Dutch LP (S)HW 1053

This one was mentioned upthread already and it
    was mentioned that it was a mono LP.
    In fact a stereo version exists as well and even more interesting/promising
    this is sometimes advertised as "12 tracks & stereo".

Unfortunately the Stereo version does contain the standard
    10 tracks only :/
    (it is also stated on the back cover which lists all 12 songs that two
    songs are contained on the mono version only; one has to read the Dutch text
    and the footnotes carefully though).

So, if you come across this LP, be aware that the stereo version
    most likely will contain 10 tracks only.

The matrix information of the copy I have is
    SW1 1053-D43
    SW2 1053-D57
    (machine stamped).
    So it seemingly it comes from US stampers.

Sounds pretty good IMO.

Attached Files:

9. MLutthans

Graham, it's easily found on Ebay for pretty cheap prices, if that matters.

WOW! I have never seen that one before -- thanks for sharing! Also, the needledrops you provided sound quite nice, but I have to ask: Is the left/right balance really like that on the title track? It was very left heavy, but it appears to the the original mix, just unbalanced. The other tracks seemed to have appropriate left/right balance. REGARDLESS...thanks again. Another one I'll have to track down, I suppose! Any idea as to a release date on that one?
    Where? I don't see that anywhere in this thread, but maybe I'm just old and blind and missed it. It's been errantly listed on discogs.com like that for years, but I've not seen it mentioned here as a mono LP, but again...could be just me!

Hmmm....I see this LP often on Ebay, and I've never seen it listed that way. Must have been a confused soul.

Thanks for all the info/input, especially about that Australian 12-song edition. Much appreciated!

10. AxeD

AxeD Forum Resident

Hi Matt,

I have recorded the entire LP to CD in a single step (well, two steps in fact) with uniform settings
    (and afterwards ripped with EAC to hard disk)o .
    Checked again the again this evening, but couldn't detect any obvious flaws
    in my set-up wcould cause channel imbalance just on the title track.

As mentioned above there is no date printed on the cover or label on my copy of
    the World Record Club series (W.R.C. S/5004) LP at all :/
    I would be interested in the release date as well, maybe one of our Australian members
    will know?

P.S. Many thanks for your incredible efforts - your invaluable threads on this forum were my real
    induction to Frank Sinatra - in 2009 I had no Sinatra records at all, now he is probably
    the top artist in my collection ...

kevinsinnott likes this.
  11. MLutthans

^^^^^^ Cool! Glad to have you on board! :)

12. hodgo

Cheers Matt, now that pay day has arrived I'll be searching for this one.

I'm out this morning but this afternoon I'm going to have an Alan Dell afternoon listening to his Frank & Nat LP's.

howlinrock likes this.
  13. MLutthans

My copy of the 1973 (?) Japanese LP, #80796, arrived today. The packaging is excellent: Very thick, textured cardboard sleeve, double-layer rice-style inner sleeve (a la MFSL, only with extra layers), quiet vinyl, 4-page insert with lyrics and information about the album.

I started playing at song #10, "Spring is Here," since that's where the dropouts start on the MFSL stereo release. No dropouts here! Fantastic tone and dynamics, too! However, remember that this song was not on all previous stereo LPs of this album, and it sounds to me like Toshiba/EMI received a nice, shiny, super-hifi and super-dynamic stereo tape of this, and spliced it in to their already-extant stereo LP master. I think this because this song and the other "inserted" song, side one's "It's a Lonely Old Town," have superior tone, with more far-reaching treble. The others sound like they are under a thin layer of gauze by comparison. It's subtle, but it's there. (The other tracks still sound good; just not as good. There are some odd little audible splices that I need to investigate and ponder. Sorry to be cryptic, but there's something a little odd going on with this overall-excellent product.)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
    kevinsinnott likes this.
  14. MLutthans

By coincidence, look at what I noticed inside the sleeve of my circa 1978 EDIT: 1975 Dutch Capitol pressing of Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely:
    VAT StickerHollandOnlyTheLonely.jpg

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  15. MLutthans

There's what I'm guessing to be a genuine very first stereo pressing of this LP on Ebay, so I thought I'd post the photo here for posterity:
    SinatraOnlyTheLonelyEarliestStereoLP SHTV.jpg
    Note the very small-print variety of text for "CAPITOL STEREO RECORD - THE FULL SPECTRUM OF SOUND" along the top of the cover? That quickly changed fonts after release. Note, too, the label variety. I'd be surprised if this were not a D1, but don't sue me if it isn't. :) $10 buy it now. Listing here. Not something that crops up constantly on the interwebs, and I have zero connection to any sale, but it's a cool 1958 artifact, regardless.

16. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I have one of those, though with the east coast labels & metalwork. I also have a second pressing - the one I always go back to re vintage stereo copies - that still has that early variant stereo banner on the cover ("D" lacquers with LA metal and west coast labels) - I'm guessing there were some back covers that were left over and didn't get used up initially that found their way into production late (unless someone swapped covers, though these seem to be of a piece, condition wise).

I have to check if my covers with that first variant stereo banner are full length like that though. I don't think so, but I wouldn't swear to it. It's too late right now for me to pull the records...

17. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

C'mon, Matt...buy it...you KNOW you want it!!!! :agree:

18. MLutthans

Somebody bought it, but not me. Was it somebody here? Fess up! :)

Also.....Odd little reference to Sings for Only the Lonely in this article about the genesis of the Getz/Byrd Jazz Samba album of 1962:

MMM and kevinsinnott like this.
  19. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

Wasn't me, I've got a thrifted copy that I <think> is like the one MMM noted above. Now I'll have to look tonight.

20. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

I don't know if this is the right place for this, but can anyone advise me where to start with Frank? An entry-level CD box set or a good series of his albums on CD?

21. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
    bozburn and marcfeld69 like this.
  22. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

23. MLutthans

Very late mono pressing? It's a cut-out, with the front sticker and "T 1053" catalog number, not W.
    OTL Front.jpg OTL Rear.jpg

McLover likes this.
  24. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Looks like it could be, especially considering it's a cutout.

The T prefix releases that were originally W seem to have begun surfacing in 1965-66 from what I can tell. I base that on a sealed stereo copy of COME SWING WITH ME! that was opened and had an inner sleeve used in that period - the "LA 12TC-A" one shown here:

http://heroinc.hostingsiteforfree.com/btls/inner.pdf

Did you buy it, Matt?

25. MLutthans

Nah....Paul wouldn't let me live that down!

DLant likes this.