Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality, etc.: "Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely" (1958)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The Larry Walsh mastered concept album CDs were issued from 1987–1992.
    The Bob Norberg remastered CDs were issued from 1998–2002. (He also did the soundtrack CDs in 1989).
    See this Sinatra Family Forum post: Compact Disc Release Dates.

Note: The versions on iTunes are the latter Norberg remasters (NOT recommended).

2. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Well that means I'll have to re rip eventually lol but I only listen on ipod, phone and basic systems so do u think the Walsh vs Norberg still matters?

3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Yes. The Norberg release slathers on the noise reduction (among other problems).

CBackley, bozburn and Bob F like this.
  4. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Yes.

Note that even the Walsh digital remasters of the mono albums are not perfect (i.e., not pure mono). Larry added additional stereo reverb to some of these. Check Matt's (@MLutthans) Capitol Scorecard and associated pages for album-by-album specifics.

CBackley, bozburn and MLutthans like this.
  5. TrueStory

TrueStory Forum Resident

Finally got a hold of a copy of the recommended dutch stereo pressing from the seventies (The Frank Sinatra Story Vol. 8), a bit noisy but wonderfully sounding. Snagged a copy from ebay in good condition a week ago, and ironically another copy in NM on discogs just a few days later. Haven't recieved the NM copy yet, so enjoying my noisy copy in the meanwhile, outshines my mono MFSL in my opinion although the latter is no slouch! I really like the stereo mix on this album as Mr. S isn't as "forward" in the mix, but rather sounds more in line with the orchestra. I will probably try to sell my mono MFSL to fund other vinyl purchases, as this somewhat rare stereo pressing will be the only one I need when I listen to this album :winkgrin:

NorCal and paulmock like this.
  6. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

After placing the request, one of the members here offered me his. Just received it today. Thanks all!

CBackley likes this.
  7. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

I'm still waiting for my copy I ordered on Discogs (from a new Austrian seller) about 4 weeks ago now. :mad:

8. TrueStory

TrueStory Forum Resident

Hopefully you'll get yours soon, it's easily worth the wait! And if not, my current copy might be of your interest when I have recieved the other one, I don't need two ;)

NorthNY Mark, paulmock and CBackley like this.
  9. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

That was a single...nothing to do with this album.

I'd better put the wink, because that's going to read too dry...

;)

10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

@MLutthans just passed out!:uhhuh:

11. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

If anyone is looking for the MFSL mono LP, there’s one in near mint condition on eBay for a good “Buy It Now” price. It just went up.

paulmock likes this.
  12. NorthNY Mark

Thank you! I just grabbed it!

CBackley and paulmock like this.
  13. NorthNY Mark

Unfortunately, the one I ordered finally arrived, and it was ridiculously noisy, even after a cleaning. Appreciate the offer to sell your noisier copy, but I'd like to find a quiet copy as well! In the meantime, I just bought a copy of the MFSL mono.

TrueStory, CBackley and paulmock like this.
  14. CBackley

Excellent. I’m glad someone here got that copy on eBay. It was going for a great price. It’s such a great record. Enjoy!

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  15. TrueStory

TrueStory Forum Resident

Sorry to hear that! I haven't cleaned my "noisy" copy yet, will probably sound better after a thorough cleaning. If you change your mind just send a PM! In any case, the MFSL mono is really good, I did as you and bought mine to have something while trying to track down a clean dutch stereo pressing, will try to sell my mono now.

NorthNY Mark and CBackley like this.
  16. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

A VG+ copy of the Dutch FS Story Vol. 8 vinyl is on its way to me from the UK. I’m excited to hear this after all the research and recommendations from this thread, and @MLutthans excellent webpage! FINALLY get to hear It’s a Lonesome Old Town in its original stereo mix glory.

NorCal, rangerjohn and MLutthans like this.
  17. MLutthans

Be sure to chime in, "no holds barred." As I've said before, I think the 1983 MFSL stereo version is the best-sounding version, but it has beaucoups des dropouts on three tracks; the 1984 UK Dell LP sounds great, but has dropouts on two tracks and one track in mono and one track with the stereo reversed; the 1972 Australian LP sounds great, but is almost literally impossible to find. All three of those, IMO, sound better than the Dutch version, but the Dutch still sounds good on its own terms, and is not riddled by technical problems or inherent unfindability.

bozburn and rangerjohn like this.
  18. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

When does the new vinyl come out for this album? Been waiting since the 100 year celebration started.

SBC likes this.
  19. CBackley

Never. It very likely won’t happen.

20. SBC

SBC Forum Resident

Would love to see it next year for a 60th anniversary.

bozburn likes this.
  21. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

I’ve had the UK Dell version for a few years, but Side 1 is pretty noisy. Here’s hoping my new purchase will bring a better overall listening experience.

MLutthans likes this.
  22. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

My guess is this.

23. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Somebody once mentioned that on the "Gone with the wind" track from the mono Mo-fi, you can hear Frank slowly disappear on the last repeating lines at the end of the song. That's true! But can somebody tell me if this was also the case on the original mono release or is that on the mo-fi mix only?
    Can't imagine that they did that on the original release. Because they did just the same ending in "One for my baby" which is the track that directly follows "Gone with the wind". From a dramatic point of view not very clever...o_O

24. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Just a reminder: The mono mix was made in-studio during recording. It cannot be undone, and MoFi does not remix. As usual, the MFSL mono version should be the “Original Master Recording” (i.e. mix).

25. MLutthans

From other threads:
    Apparently so:
    So, we now have these titles as being available in mono AND stereo versions in the 1984 Dutch DMM "Dell" series: Come Fly with Me, Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely, Come Dance with Me, No One Cares, Nice 'n' Easy, and All the Way.

Yes.
    Hankbe46: Can you provide the stamped runout numbers from both sides?
    Also, is there a chunk of "One for My Baby" that is just missing? Like this? http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/195...nely_5_files/OneForMyBabyAustralianCDClip.mp3

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    rangerjohn likes this.