Sinatra - "In The Wee Small Hours". Best CD version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jv66, Dec 21, 2007.

1. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

Yeah, his enunciation was impeccable. This recording really set the standard for intimate late night vocals. In this cut I specially dig when he sings "awake" and "most"!

The record was a Goodwill find, around 5 years ago. Who knows how many times it was played and the heavy tracking arms that were used!

Still, like you said, the midrange magic comes through!

2. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

Yeah huh!

3. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

One of my favorite songs is "Can't We Be Friends"

Here's another excerpt with this cut.

4. chrswlkrc

chrswlkrc New Member

My CD of "In the Wee Small Hours" comes from the 21 disc UK box. It sounds OK, and is acceptable, but still really pales in comparison to those clips of the original LP. If only Steve could remaster the whole Sinatra Capitol catalog... no one seems to be able to give it justice.

5. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

Here is This Love Of Mine, the closer on the LP.

What a beautiful song and this is the definitive version!

Sinatra co-wrote the song back in his Dorsey days, but it was in this 1955 rendition that he nailed it, IMO.

6. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

Mine too. You would not believe the time I spent in a digital editing program trying to make the 1991 CD cut of this song sound acceptable to me. I gave up.

7. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Wow! Thanks for the excerpts, Crooner! And thanks to Martin, too. The vocals are so warm and intimate and the strings have a wonderful transparency. The Larry Walsh CD is not bad, but the lp is so much better. How sadly ironic that what's currently available to most people is so much worse than the Walsh-mastered CD!

Wouldn't it be great if Mosaic, which leases lots of stuff from EMI, did a CD box set of all the classic Capitol Sinatra albums using the untampered-with masters?

8. keoki82

keoki82 Active Member

Agreed!

9. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Crooner, thanks for putting these clips up. I'm glad more people can get an idea of the sound of the original issue if they don't have the vinyl.

10. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

Martin, you are welcome!

I'm happy to be of help to fellow Sinatraphiles!

11. JukkaP

JukkaP Forum Resident

I made a quick needle drop preview from 1984 DMM. To calibrate it with my system I also made a drop from my trashed grey label.

For their price these Alan Dell's digital remasters sounds just fine to me.
    I mean that linked grey label was sold for 190$!

It Never Entered My Mind DMM
    It Never Entered My Mind (Grey label)

I don't intend to keep these 40s preview files on the server for a very long time, sorry about that.

12. Ed Osborne

Ed Osborne Senior Member

Can't Access Clips

Sadly, when I click on the links for any of the clips, I get the infamous "404 Not Found" error message. Any ideas?

Ed

13. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

I saw that an assumed that this thread was at least partially to blame. :shh:

14. rpd

rpd Senior Member

it was....:hide:

15. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I didn't see the link. Is it still up? I'd like to see the record...

16. rpd

rpd Senior Member

do a quick ebay search of completed items and you will see it...

17. Ryan

nice find! It seems like the Alan Dell one uses an unmodified copy tape for the UK...the stereo "Sings for Only the Lonely" in this series sounds good too.

18. The Alan Dell is the one I have, and paid something like 4.99 in like new condition. Not a mark on it. I'm still looking out for a good condition reasonably priced grey label though. They're not thick on the ground around these parts.

19. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

i recently found a grey label in las vegas last month. it replaces my capitol rainbow, which skipped badly.

later, chris

Attached Files:

20. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Thanks. I thought of that last night and found it. Was that "our" Randy who won it?

There was a copy of SONGS FOR SWINGIN' LOVERS! on eBay earlier this year that sold for IIRC $167. It was supposedly being sold by the original owner who claimed to have only played it 2 or 3 times - back in the day to record a copy, and again now. Even the cover looked really nice, so I wanted to believe he was telling the truth. I bid I think up until $162 and lost (couldn't believe it). I ended up writing to the person who won it, and he told me his top bid wasn't much higher. As much as it was, I kick myself for not bidding more...

21. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

22. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

About $50, but (as I've felt for years) that's undervalued. Yeah, typical copies, which are very common, shouldn't go for much ($5-$10), but those old Sinatra Capitol LP's are very hard to find with the vinyl M-/NM.

In a way, I'm glad to see that. These albums deserve those prices, if the records are in really nice condition.

23. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I now have a few extra Wee Small grey label copies if anyone is interested in PM'ing me.....

24. Ryan

Wow....I have one like that (not for sale). Same with SFYL/SE.

25. RonInCRIA

RonInCRIA New Member

I hate to admit it because I have drifted away from vinyl......but yes.

You'd think they would put out a good one.

Thge quality of FS on digital is a sad legacy overall, not because they all stink (they don't) but because there is so much unreached potential.

I "have access" (do not ask how) to some 1/2" half track tape Sinatra from both Capitol and early Reprise sessions. Including the one where Jimmy Durante, MM and Ray Charles were caught by Claxton in that classic photo.

Nancy (Little Nancy) is a part of the problem, not all of it.

There is a lot in the vaults and a lot of stuff floating around and IMO, sadly, won't see legit release probably until the kids are all gone. Since Big Nancy is still going strong (and don't get me wrong, I'm glad she is) I might be dead and gone by then myself.

It bothers me a lot. As Mazzie said... "Frank's the best. And, I should know."