Sinatra / Reprise Sound Quality and General Discussion: "...Great Songs from Great Britain" (1962)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AaronW, Aug 31, 2007.

1. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

CBackley, Pieter Kozak and MLutthans like this.
  2. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

1965 was a BIG year for Sinatra. I believe Scott Sayers, EOB, or John Ridgeway wrote in one of their books that the 1965 stereo master was created because they wanted to release it in the US as part of the 50th birthday celebration. The album was also released in France, Australia, and Japan in stereo.

As to the UK their stereo market may not have been that significant in 1962. And with releases from EMI, World Record Club, and MFP they were even more swamped with Capitol product than we were in the US.

3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The more I try to find evidence of the original stereo release date, the more I become convinced it was 1962, concurrent with the mono release. From eil.com:

Frank Sinatra Sinatra Sings Great Songs From Great Britain UK vinyl LP album (LP record) (563161)

“FRANK SINATRA Sinatra Sings Great Songs From Great Britain (1962 UK 10-track stereo LP on the green & blue tri-segmented Reprise label with Frank's 'serious' head in the other segment, front laminated flipback picture sleeve. The sleeve shows minimal wear & the vinyl reveals only light signs of play R9-1006).”

[​IMG]

CBackley likes this.
  4. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

John Ridgway's book gives the STEREO catalog number ("REPRISE R9 1006") and includes the following:

“Note: This LP was issued originally in the U.K. only. A label copy sheet was prepared for U.S.A. release, dated 21 July 1965, but the issue did not materialize.”

CBackley and MLutthans like this.
  5. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I agree on the 1965 speculation. As to trusting dates on Universal labels, there was this re-issue of an album that came out in 1963:
    [​IMG]
    That said, original mono and stereo labels for Great Songs from Great Britain had the 1962 date on the label.

6. MLutthans

When did the green Reprise inner sleeve get phased out in the UK? My UK stereo LP has that first-style green inner sleeve, the one with just the picture of an orchestra with the gong clearly visible, no album titles promoted, etc. Was that still in use in, say, 1965? Not in the USA, but maybe in the UK?

7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Agree that stereo may not have been as established in Great Britain as it was in the US in 1962. (Heck, I was still buying mono records here in '62!) All the more reason why the stereo issues are so rare, and why they used those stickers. But by 1965, one would expect more product and printed stereo sleeves. That didn't happen with this album in the UK.

8. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member Thread Starter

Neither of my -1/-2 mono copies came with the green Reprise inner sleeve, both had plain white sleeves with MADE IN GREAT BRITAIN on the bottom corner.

MLutthans likes this.
  9. MLutthans

Interesting. My stereo LP is a -3L on both sides, and has the green liner.
    Here are mono and stereo labels, the upper photo from discogs, the lower from my own LP:
    R-2996576-1468502758-6875-1.jpeg.jpg
    Saxes 1.jpg

paulmock likes this.
  10. MLutthans

Re: If I Had You intercut

I figured out the source (which take is used) of the intercut on the Japanese version. You know the horror movie cliche about the scary phone call, and the call is coming "from inside the house?" Well, the intercut that happens on the Japanese LP is merely lifted from later in the same take! On the original UK edit (as recently reused on the 2014/2015 releases), around 1:29 Frank sings, "I could sail the mighty ocean wide," but then at 2:52, he sings "or I could sail the mighty ocean wide." On the Japanese release, that phrase from 2:52 is spliced in back at 1:29, so both times, Frank sings "or I could sail the mighty ocean wide."

So, to recap: Both the original UK edit and the later Japanese edit use the same take from start to finish, but the UK version is fully intact, while the Japanese version takes just a few seconds from the second time through to replace a single phrase sung the first time through.

My big question: Why would that be done? :shrug:

CBackley, AaronW and rangerjohn like this.
  11. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

To keep people on their mettle. :)

CBackley, AaronW and rangerjohn like this.
  12. MLutthans

Re: The Italian LP, Sinatra in London:
    Why'd you unload this, Paul? I'm spinning my new copy (just arrived thanks to our nice USPS lady), and it sounds pretty nice, I think. From what I've heard so far, this one definitely uses the original UK edits (as anticipated), not the Japanese ones.

EDIT: My UK original is very "right heavy" (stereo imbalance), but this Italian release is evenly balanced. Much better!

13. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I didn't "unload" it. After careful consideration in wanting to donate to @DLant and his (at that time) small but growing LP collection, as well as thinning out some LP's of which I had multiple copies, I decided that an original mono and the Japanese P-7721 copy were sufficient enough for my collection. Believe me...it wasn't easy giving away some of those babies I'd had for decades but all in all, it has worked out OK for both parties. :D

CBackley, MMM, DLant and 1 other person like this.
  14. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

As stated before, they are well cherished here in Elmira, NY. Prized possessions from a great friend.

CBackley and paulmock like this.
  15. MLutthans

Reading through the excellent liner notes to the London boxed set, I see that Ken Barnes notes on page six, regarding session #1, "Eric Tomlinson was at the Neve console." Obviously, without photos of the console, I can't prove anything one way or another, and there is no doubt that at some point CTS acquired a Neve console, but Neve, as a company, not Rupert Neve as a person, did not even exist until 1961. I strongly suspect that Mr. Barnes comment is unintentionally errant, possibly due to the fog of memory.

Here's a photo of Neve Console #1, now a museum piece (literally), and I can assure you that Great Songs from Great Britain was not recorded on anything similar to this mixing board...
    Neve console Number 1.jpg
    ....but I do not know by how many leaps and bounds Neve technology may have improved between 1961 and mid-1962.

DLant likes this.
  16. MLutthans

Referring again to the London booklet, on page 11, referring to the recording of The Gypsy:
    <<Frank was standing with a cigarette in one hand and a paper cup in the other as he sang through the lyric.>> :cool:

MMM and DLant like this.
  17. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm guessing they didn't give Paul his due with a credit in the notes?

18. MLutthans

Update on the edits for The Very Thought of You:

By carefully scouring the "sessions" material within the London box, I've been able to figure out what came from where. We already knew that both versions (original UK-released versions and later Japanese-released version) used take 5, but with some splices/intercuts. To my knowledge, we did not know from whence those spliced-in parts came. Now we do!
    Screen shot 2017-04-06 at 12.53.20 AM.png
    GREEN = Take 5; Red = Take 3; Blue = "Take 6." (It's not announced as "Take 6" on the tape, but it's an insert piece, starting late in the song, that follows take 5. It's slated as "edit from bar 32" by engineer Eric Tomlinson.)

Note, too, please, that there are actually TWO blue patches on the UK grid, with just a sliver of green between them. The first blue patch is nearly a complete measure of music leading into Frank's re-entry after the instrumental passage. The green sliver there is very odd. It's literally just the start of the word "I" (as in, "I see your face...."). Part of the word "I" that follows the "scoop" comes from take 6. Why take 6? Frank's voice cracked during the word "face" in take 5. That second blue patch, then, covers "I see your face in every," and then on "flower," we are back to take 5 again.

Is that the edit Frank intended? :shrug:

In the liner notes for London, it reads:
    <<It was during the session break that Frank went into the control room to personally supervise the intercuts. As Eric Tomlinson recently told me: "Frank knew exactly what he wanted as he stood over my assistant, David, and instructed him where to mark the tape and the exact point for the edit.">>

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    CBackley, lukpac, kennyluc1 and 3 others like this.
  19. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

Fascinating...that is the most complete breakdown regarding GSFGB alt take/intercuts, I have, thus far, seen.

MLutthans likes this.
  20. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

I remember buying the Japanese LP and paying $25.00, hoping, it would have alt takes,
    that's what we called everything back then, and it did.

MLutthans and paulmock like this.
  21. AJH

AJH Senior Member

No pressure there!

CBackley, paulmock, MMM and 1 other person like this.
  22. MLutthans

I need to put a plug in for this particular stereo release that I've been spinning over the last couple of days:
    [​IMG]
    It uses the original UK edits, but it absolutely (albeit figuratively) mops the floor with my UK Great Songs stereo -3L original cut. No contest, and not in subtle ways. By comparison, the UK sound is pure Amateur Hour stuff.

I've got a German pressing coming in the mail, too, but it's not here yet. It's a long drive from Germany to here!

paulmock, DLant, bozburn and 2 others like this.
  23. MLutthans

For those who are fans of the later mix that is used on the German and Japanese LPs, you may want to get yourself one of these Italian LPs, which are well-mastered versions of the original UK mix. Here's a clip that starts with the Japanese LP (same mix/edits as on the German LP), then transitions to the Italian LP, and no, I didn't pick-and-choose to find a flamingly-bad spot to compare. The differences are like this for all ten songs:
    https://app.box.com/s/clpksx5wsppljcrzwc4s4tcyiy9te6ny

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    paulmock likes this.
  24. MLutthans

The sheet music in Sinatra's hand (along with the "tea") is "The Very Thought of You."
    [​IMG]

Below, the music laying sideways across the music stand is "London by Night."
    Saxes 2.jpeg

25. MLutthans

Using the many pictures that I've seen from the sessions, I've been able to more-or-less map out the layout of the studio, more-or-less to scale. The studio was 85x40 feet, with a booth on one end, a film screen and 3 monitors on the other, and Farnon conducting from near the center, with Frank behind the piano, facing him. (The exact location of the instruments in the rhythm section moved somewhat from photo to photo, but they are all "in the ballpark" as diagrammed below.)
    Screen shot 2017-04-11 at 11.53.47 AM.png
    Trouble was, much of what I was hearing in stereo, in terms of instrument location, was not lining up with what I was seeing, but I figured out why, and that requires another diagram that I have not made yet. More to follow later today.
    I should note that I could not spot the harp in any of the photos, although I did see what I think may be the top of a harp toward (from this perspective) the "bottom" of the violin section. I think that's a pretty safe bet.
    Some of the mics used? All Neumann, it appears: Looks like a Neumann KM54 over the violas; another on the celli, perhaps (hard to tell); KM54 or similar over the violins; KM56 on the clarinets/saxes; M49 on Sinatra's vocal; M49 on the guitar; U67 on the bass; U47 on the celeste. That's about all I can make out. (EDIT: Nice to see some small-diaphragm condensers getting put to good use, something that was nearly unheard of at Capitol or United around this time.)

More to follow later today.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    MMM, Turmatic, lukpac and 2 others like this.