Sinatra / Reprise Sound Quality: "Sinatra and Strings" (rec. 1961) - incl. NAB/AME EQ, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aoxomoxoa, Mar 15, 2012.

Tags:
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Of course. Brain fart! Sorry.....

2. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Yeah the label reads F-1004. I also think it's a different mix than the original R-1009

3. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Since MLutthans is a Gort, I expect nothing but a lifetime ban here but I have to say it. When I feel like to listen to this title, I usually play the MFSL vinyl.

CBackley and aoxomoxoa like this.
  4. MLutthans

Hmmmm.....that's news to me, but the latest mono cut I've heard is a 1C on both sides. (Early cuts were "letter first," i.e, A1, B4, A7, then when CBS starting handling the pressing, they switched to "number first," i.e., 2B, 1C, etc.) What's in the runout on your copy?

Anybody else?

5. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

This one has an 1E

MLutthans likes this.
  6. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Comparing the mono to the stereo I much prefer the mono! It is MUCH dryer than the stereo although it is still a mixed bag reverbwise. Still sounds fine to me. The stereo at times is drowning in reverb. Very easy to hear the difference if you compare "Rain or shine" or "Misty".

7. MLutthans

My kneejerk reaction is: "No way".....but Ring-a-Ding Ding had two mono editions (one dedicated mix, later changed to a fold-down from stereo), and Sinatra and Strings had a stereo remix in the late '60s, so I suppose it's possible. Are there certain things that stand out in terms of differences?

8. MLutthans

Dryer on ALL songs, or only on some? To which stereo release are you comparing? (There have been four stereo mixes for this album.)

9. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Oh, I must add that I'm comparing it to a later stereo re-issue which has an WW3 and WW4 runout
    And that version is as wet as a dog after the rain. So compared to this the mono is a blessing for me.
    But reading your comments I guess I don't own the original stereo mix.
    So I'm not authorized to make any comparison between the original mono/stereo.
    Sorry for the confusion!!!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  10. MLutthans

Yep; that's the 2nd stereo mix. Doesn't necessarily rule out this later Columbia mono mastering being different from the earlier, pre-Columbia ones.

roda12 likes this.
  11. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

My stereo re-issue sounds similar to the suitcase version.

12. MLutthans

Similar mixes in style, but each is unique.
    Screen shot 2018-03-15 at 3.06.20 AM.png
    Listen to "Misty." On your LP, there should be an audible "sniff" (by Frank?) at 2:21 that is not present on the CD.

CBackley and roda12 like this.
  13. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Yes, I think the sniff is there. It's during the instrumental outro right?

Well, to make a long story short, I'm glad I got rid of the heavy reverb at last.

Last question:

I have the F1004 mono, the second stereo, and the third stereo (suitcase).
    So which mixes am I missing?

CBackley and MLutthans like this.
  14. MLutthans

15. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

So my wife, as a birthday gift to me, (probably around the time of this thread's original postings in 2012), bought me a copy of the MFSL vinyl. I just realized that I have never opened it up to play it yet. So, cutting to the chase, from those of you who have heard the MFSL, should I bother or not?

NOTE: The "Sinatra & Strings" album is one of my favorite albums from Frank's REPRISE years and although I have numerous vinyl pressings of it (Mono and Stereo), as well as on CD with the Leather suitcase, the original CD pressing and the EOTC CD pressing, I've yet to hear a version of this album that doesn't sound buried in echo/reverb hell.

McLover and CBackley like this.
  16. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Thanks Matt! Think I'll pass on the EOTC (though I even think I've got it laying around here from my wife's collection), but I'll have to get me the first stereo mix!

17. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Look for an "FS" prefix copy from the mid-60's, mastered/pressed by Columbia vs an "R9" from the independent Reprise era. Much better sound...I prefer the earliest cuts that Columbia did on this.

CBackley and MLutthans like this.
  18. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

As I said before, I like it. :hide:

CBackley and Chris C like this.
  19. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Thanks for the recommendation! Oh my, so I'll have to get TWO more versions, because I need to have a "scrowling Frank" copy, which is not on the FS!:agree::)

20. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

You'll also find those variants too on the earliest "FS" era LPs...I'd have to check, but I believe my favorite copy of this is an "FS" with the anxious (or scrowling, as you call it) image of Frank on the labels.

roda12 likes this.
  21. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Sorry, I meant "scowling Frank"o_O

22. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

My best "FS" copy has the "happy" Frank on side one and the "anxious" Frank on side two.

CBackley, roda12 and paulmock like this.
  23. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Well, we all know Mr. S did have his mood swings. :hide:

24. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Hahaha!!!! Would love to see that copy!

25. MLutthans

My collection has gradually become more and more sloppily stored, and I am trying to right that ship. Tonight, I found all of my assorted Sinatra and Strings LPs, and actually sorted them and wrote a little note (on a Post-It) on each sleeve so that I would know what resides in each sleeve. Here's what I've got, all '60s pressings, with one exception:

Mono LPs
    •A-1/B-3 - M-G-M pressing
    •A-5/B-5 and A-6/B-6 - both Waddell pressings
    •1C/1C - Columbia

Stereo LPs
    •A-2/B-11 - M-G-M
    •A-9/B-8 - Waddell
    •1B/1A, 1E/1E (<<--purchased new/sealed), 1F/1D - All Columbia
    •1980s Warner-Pioneer Japanese LP with two bonus tracks

As I recall, the M-G-M pressings were "east coast," and Waddell was "west coast."

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    aoxomoxoa, Simon A, MMM and 1 other person like this.