Sinatra, what is the appeal?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 4stringking73, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4stringking73

4stringking73 Forum Resident Thread Starter

It all started from picking up a best of Sinatra record cheap and once I put it on my turtable I was hooked and have been building a Sinatra library (vinyl and cd) ever since. I am 41 and have primarily listened to hard rock and metal most of my life so I am still shocked by my Sinatra obsession. Anybody else relate to discovering Sinatra in their life and getting hooked, and being shocked that they got hooked on his music?

2. hello people

hello people Forum Resident

No I liked him when I was 18 or before...I've always liked him. I'm not shocked that anyone would get hooked on anything.

Happy trails with all your records!

3. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I turn to Sinatra's music from time to time, so I can't say it's an obsession with me. But there is something about his carefully-cultivated persona that has lasting appeal. Of course all this would mean nothing if his music didn't deliver consistently. His rich voice, his conversational tone, the gravitas he lends even to somewhat slight material (think "Love and Marriage"), his knack for picking excellent, musically compatible arrangers and his choice of songs, his long career---for all these reasons, his recorded works compel listeners across several generations to return to his work again and again.

No Bull, thxphotog, tedkul and 5 others like this.
  4. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

I don't think I ever really disliked Mr. Frank, but his magnificent musical ability seems much clearer to me now.

5. MilMascaras

MilMascaras Musicologist

I thought this thread, by its' title, was going to 'go the other way…'
    [cuz I've always been on the fence]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  6. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Me also.

It's pretty hard NOT to appreciate the greats of music like Sinatra IMO, if someone really loves music, not just one style of music.

So, his great phrasing , way with lyrics , wonderful arrangements etc., are hard to deny if one approaches music with an open mind.

7. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Im a casual fan. I have a few LPs, in fact I just scored one for $1 at Salvation Army in great shape

8. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Give it time... ;)

9. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Something about Frank you just got to like. Started as big deal with the BobbySoxers. Started a film carreer. Crashed and burned. Rebuilt his film carrer as an actor, rekindled his music career and made some of the best LPs of the 50's. Was able to produce and pick what movies he wanted to make. One of the first artists to start his own record compa ny. Signed all his cool buddies to it. Made a lot of great films that Elvis would have been jealous of. Let Mo Oston run Reprise, from where we get the Kinks, Jimi Hendrix, Neil Young plus manny many more. Still ha a viable recording career. And he did his way.

Go Frank, Ring a Ding Ding!

10. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

Yes. Really nice.

11. JimSav

JimSav Well-Known Member

He's alright, but he's no Dick Haymes.

12. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Before the Beatles, before Elvis, there was Sinatra.

13. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

As some others have noted, I have been well-acquainted with Mr. Sinatra for many moons. In fact, I knew the woman I eventually married would be a decent match because I had the 4-CD Reprise box set while she had 3-CD Capitol best-of. #truelove

Fifteen years later, our almost-12-year-old daughter is a fan, and acknowledged to me the other day that Sinatra sings so well "he doesn't need to write his own songs, because they all become his once he's recorded them." Attagirl!

14. Licorice pizza

As an old uncle once told me as a boy, "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear". ;)

15. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

And Sinatra was from New Jersey.....

16. Glenn Christense

Yeah, the pop music evolution torch seems to be Bing Crosby handed it to Frank Sinatra who handed it to Elvis who passed it off the Beatles.. some unwillingly probably. :D

I'm always mildly suspicious of anyone who dislikes any of these four but says they like popular music.

Andrew Russe likes this.
  17. Licorice pizza

Yes!! Been to Hoboken and love it.

18. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

It's all in the phrasing, baby. Willie Nelson is another one this applies to.

ronbow, Jerquee, monkees paw and 5 others like this.
  19. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

I agree with you, but I would refine your definition to "pop vocal music" -- there were a lot of additional band leaders and instrumentalists who pushed things forward, too.

20. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

I can echo your experience. I am also a 40-something person who has been digging into the Sinatra catalog over the last few years much to my own surprise. For me - I will also give the nod to the "phrasing" ability of his vocals. That's what impressed me the most - more so than the well-worn "rat pack" mystique which does nothing for me (Louis Prima and Sam Butera being more my kinda characters). I wrote a little exposition about Sinatra - and more specifically the "Watertown" album - on my blog recently. See here:
    http://catchagroove-kaiser.blogspot.com/2015/02/defying-expectations-sinatras-watertown.html

Cheers!
    -------- Chris

No Bull, Jeffczar, MMM and 2 others like this.
  21. Glenn Christense

Yes, I was just speaking generally because I didn't want to derail the thread into an argument about the history of pop music.
    But as you mention, the progression of (white) vocal stars was pretty much these four preceded by Rudy Vallee maybe.
    Louie Armstrong had a profound influence but he never had bobbysoxers screaming at him like Sinatra did. :D

But , back to old blue eyes here!

HominyRhodes likes this.
  22. tgdinamo

tgdinamo Forum Resident

I like Sinatra as well, but to me Nat King Cole is untouchable as far as male jazz voices go.

23. Licorice pizza

As for Satchmo, he had Jim Crow to contend with.

24. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

for years, my dad pooh-pooh'ed him, because his mom (of that proto-bobbysoxer generation) pooh-pooh'ed Sinatra. it was a thing that ran in my family...absolute disregard for celebrities with questionable moral/ethical leanings. (you should have been around when Dale Earnhardt was racing...oh, to listen to the grown-ups blow their top.)

then one day my dad had a Sinatra CD in the car. i was like, "hey what's up with that...after all the lousy things you've had to say about the guy?"
    and my dad was basically like, "dude was great. what can i say?"

25. Glenn Christense

Of course but now I feel bad for derailing the OP's Sinatra thread. Back to all things Frankie, and I don't mean Stallone.

melstapler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.