Sing Along With Mitch

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ky658, Jul 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

A dark period in music:rolleyes:

2. All Rights

All Rights Senior Member

Depending on the year, you may have been watching

1960-61 Friday
    77 Sunset Strip ABC
    Route 66 CBS

1961-62 Thursday
    The Untouchables ABC
    CBS Reports

1962-63 Friday
    The Flintstones/ I'm Dickens He's Fenster ABC
    Route 66 CBS

In the final 1963-64 season now moved to Mondays, Mitch went up against Breaking Point (ABC) and East Side, West Side (CBS), 2 shows that only ran that season.

Why was Sing Along not on CBS, did Mitch not get along with Paley?

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  3. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Mitch Miller was also a peacenik. He, along with Peter Paul & Mary, Pete Seeger and others lent there voices to the November 15, 1969 Moratorium To End the War in Vietnam, in Washington DC. Attracting an estimated 500,000 demonstrators, the event is recognized as the largest single anti-war protest in US history. Here's a 14 minute video clip (no sound). I think that's him at 1:22, exorting the crowd to Give Peace a Chance. :cool:

Michael likes this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

sure looks like him...thanks for posting that! as I said it's not the Holidays without his Sing Along With Mitch Holiday Christmas album!

5. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Yeah, he was responsible for about 70% of the unloved LPs now collecting dust in Goodwills from coast to coast, but I guess those same LPs made Columbia lots of dough back in the day.

6. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

So what?

7. action pact

As head of A&R, he was looking at the bottom line and choosing royalty-free material to record, that's what.

8. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Was the Christmas album the one with Mitch wearing a red sport coat? If so we had it.

9. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

And making Rosemary Clooney do country songs with harpsichord, and have Frank Sinatra record garbage

10. action pact

I'm no apologist for Mitch Miller's artistic decisions, but "Come On-A My House" is pretty darn cool, if ya ask me.

11. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I agree. But then he tried to make it her gimmick.

12. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

Ray Manzarek liked it too.

13. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

I was always more of a "Hum Along With Herman" guy. :)

But seriously - I have vague memories of watching the show, but I remember the LPs pretty well. We had at least a half-dozen. Good clean fun!

Ken E. likes this.
  14. action pact

Why does that not surprise me? :)

15. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

He's ok as a harmless beatnik who made harmless muzak but man I wish he'd have never been near Tony Bennett's records. He really did a number on those.

also don't forget:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitch_Miller

In addition, Miller was also just as responsible for not pursuing certain artists and tunes. He disapproved of rock 'n' roll[5] - one of his contemporaries described his denunciation of it as "The Gettysburg Address of Music" - and passed not only on Elvis and Buddy Holly, who became stars on RCA and Decca respectively, but on The Beatles as well, creating a fortune in revenue for rival Capitol.[citation needed] Previously, Miller had offered Presley a contract, but balked at the amount Presley's manager, Colonel Tom Parker, was asking.

Good moves, Mitch!

16. Bob Simmons

Bob Simmons Active Member

I remember Mitch well, and the bouncing ball. He got plenty of airplay at our house, and I remember an album or two laying around as well. We also saw a lot of Perry Como and Andy Williams, and of course Lawrence Welk (loved those Lennon sisters, lol). Good, simple times. :)

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

18. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

From the "Charlie Parker with Strings" sessions. The man was also a world-class Oboe and French Horn player.

19. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

Yes, 'The Flintstones', wasn't the tag line 'for those who don't know the words?'

20. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

No Mitch Miller in my house that I can remember, but then again I was only 3 when the show ended.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.