Single versions vs Album versions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dodoz, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Blank Frank

Blank Frank King of Carrot Flowers

The single version of Bowie's Heroes is a good example of the album version being superior, as the single starts around half way through.

The single version of New Order's Perfect Kiss is a good example of the single being superior to the album, as the latter lacks the last verse which makes the lyrics work, as well as the extended coda.

pwhytey and c-eling like this.
  2. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

I liked both the single and the album version of Magazine's Shot By Both Sides right from the start - neither of them seemed inferior to me, they were just slightly different (one without and the other with Dave Formula on keyboards). It took a bit more listening for me to fully accept the album version of their Rhythm of Cruelty, though. If I had been asked this question in 1979, I would have said the album version was a letdown and the single version is the superior one. Nowadays I fully understand that the album version of Cruelty is just what Secondhand Daylight requires - I wouldn't want it any other way.

Man at C&A likes this.
  3. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

The 45 mono edit of Light My Fire is perfect, and it’s no mystery why it became a #1 single.

Back in the day, I’d imagine many heard and dig the 45, then ran out to buy the debut only to have the realization: far out! The album version song is even longer.

4. Basenote66

Basenote66 Forum Resident

Angel Eyes by Roxy Music. Talk about apples and oranges!

5. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Preferred both single versions of these two over the album ones.

Flamin' Groovies - Shake Some Action
    Magazine - Shot By Both Sides

6. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I usually prefer the longer versions of most songs (unless the single version is really stuck in my head from repeated listenings).

So I almost always like the album versions over those shortened-for-commercial-radio play... like "Light My Fire," "Time Has Come Today" (Chambers Brothers), "You Keep Me Hanging On" (Vanilla Fudge), "Born on the Bayou" and especially Santana's "Black Magic Woman" (horrible single edit on that one).

On the other hand, there's nothing like the gigantic a$$-kicking sound of a great, analog-compressed 45 single from the 50's, 60's or 70's.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    51IS, starduster, Bob J and 2 others like this.
  7. htbomb

htbomb Hot Rod

Judging from your post and referenced singles you're clearly a bit younger than I.

My earliest purchases were all 45s - albums came later. Even then I don't recall buying an album for the single and being disappointed. I rather enjoyed longer album versions usually considering them to be the definitive version.

These days I am enjoying releases of compilations containing the original single mixes (The Doors, The Turtles, etc.) and it's a bit disconcerting how album versions have replaced the original single mixes that attracted us in the first place.

BeatlesBop likes this.
  8. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: The ultimate let-down. This brilliant chunk of madcap psychedelia somehow managed to morph into a meandering bore by the time The Hassles' second album was released a few months later:

Manapua likes this.
  9. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

Crimson & Clover. I love both versions, but I love the extended stuff, even if it just amounts to fooling around.

Buddybud, jmxw and Hammerpeg like this.
  10. IanM007

IanM007 CDs, please!

Yeah, take your point - even Nick Rhodes is on record saying the band were never happy with the original 'The Reflex' though... and I have to agree with him. Sounds very flat and uninspired to me to this day (and I bought the album at the time of release).

11. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Revolution/Revolution 1 by The Beatles is a legit candidate for this category, come to think of it. I’d take the single version every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I also like the single version of Gigantic by Pixies over the album version. It’s an entirely separate recording, not a remix or edit.

12. swearydad

swearydad Rodent

I remember in 1979/80 having the singles Holiday in Cambodia and California Uber Alles by the Dead Kennedys which both came out before the album, Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables. When I bought the album the singles never got played again because i thought the album versions were much better.
    I bought U2's Achtung Baby when it came out and Whose Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses became one of my favourite tracks on it. When it was released as a single it was a different version which sounded lightweight to me.

13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I heard the album first and thought the 45 mix was a bit of a mess when I found one. Great song, it's probably just because it's the version I heard first, many times, that I prefer the album one.

14. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

This!

john lennonist likes this.
  15. Frank Irons

Frank Irons Forum Resident

Punk has quite a few more examples I could think of. "No Feeling" [sic] by the Sex Pistols and "White Riot" by The Clash both are different recordings on their singles. Also, The Stooges' single version of "Down on the Street" is mixed in mono, edited, and has an organ overdubbed into the song. I find the album versions to be better with all of the examples mentioned.

The Doors also has quite a couple, like the aforementioned "Light My Fire", but there are some crazier ones. "You Make Me Real" is in mono, and you can hear Jimbo say "come on" a few seconds in. "Touch Me" doesn't have the "stronger than dirt" ending and also has the drums mixed in the center instead of the left. "The Unknown Soldier" is in mono and has different sound effects. There are a lot more, but most are just edits or mono mixes.

16. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Nor the ending IIRC. One had a cold ending, the other fades out.

c-eling likes this.
  17. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Mac's Over My Head also has a single version that sounds hotter than the lp.

18. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

The UK 7 inch is what I was hoping would of been used on Singles

19. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Sweet mercy, this was listed as the "45 version" of an already-trippy tune:

20. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

There are so many instances of differing singles/album versions to recount but here's one that actually teed me off. Back To Life by Soul 11 Soul. I had already bought their first single Keep On Moving and when I heard Back To Life, the follow-up, I rushed out to get the lp. Imagine my horror when I heard that version. Two completely different animals!

21. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

The 45 sky pilot (the animals) is far superior to the lame sounding album version .
    I don't think this version is on a cd. (lucky I do have a copy from years ago filesharing)
    first song I ever looked for filesharing because I could not find it was white bird

add magic carpet ride to better sounding version for me

maybe sky pilot is on the box set only 499 bucks

https://www.amazon.com/Mickie-Most-...520074392&sr=1-1&keywords=the+animals+box+set

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  22. Hillel abramov

Hillel abramov Forum resident

The Beatles Help
    Yardbirds I wish you would
    Dave Clark five Catch us if you can
    Kinks Lola - one word "Coca" changed
    And many many more

23. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

I grew up listening to AM (MW) pop radio where 45s were most commonly played. My family got its first FM equipped radio in 1969 as part of a massive Magnavox television/record player/radio combo console. I was surprised at all the longer and alternate versions of many of my favorite songs as well as full fidelity stereophonic sound. I like to collect both single and LP versions, but it's a challenge to do so in the world of compact discs. I appreciate when CD reissues include single versions. Off the top of my head I can think of two examples of single mixes that I much prefer over the LP ones, and both are by the group Sagittarius and are "Hotel Indiscreet" and "My World Fell Down".

Mechanical Man and c-eling like this.
  24. a customer

25. a customer

You can add in a gadda da vida there are slight differences between the 45 and album version

Colinjpush likes this.