Single versions vs Album versions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dodoz, Nov 4, 2017.

1. SpudOz

SpudOz Forum Resident

A few Aussie ones.

Where Do You Go? by Hunters & Collectors: The single version is truer to the band's pub rock style and how they played it live while the remixed version on the Cut album is way over-produced for my liking.

Both Jung Talent Time and Yob by TISM are far better in their original single form with the respective Machiavelli and the Four Seasons and www.tism.wanker.com album versions once again being over-produced and lacking the punch of the original mix.

2. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

The radio version of "One In A Million" by the Romantics had some synth parts in in the second and third verses that aren't present on the album version.

3. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Wow...I just listened to the LP version for the first time ever. I had no idea it even existed, and I was around when this song was a huge hit single. Learn something new everyday!

c-eling likes this.
  4. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Seven I had on cassette- it was nice to finally hear the 7 inch that I was accustomed to from radio when I grabbed Decade :)

snorker likes this.
  5. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Yeah, I never had Seven. I bought Decade back in the early 90s, so I never knew the LP version differed. I do recall noticing that Hungry Like the Wolf on Decade was different than the mix on the Rio cassette I had...

c-eling likes this.
  6. The LP version of Ashes to Ashes has an extra little section that I've always found annoying.

Garageflower likes this.
  7. c-eling

For Rio we got the cool K-mixes and Night Version of Hungry!
    Really enjoy Decade, such a nice comp. Shame it couldn't of included New Moon.

marc with a c and snorker like this.
  8. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Sometimes the single can be very different, take for example Whitesnake's Here I Go Again from the 1987 album (itself a re-recorded Whitesnake song). There are two different versions of this, with different intros and different guitar players taking the (*different) lead break.

(From WikiPedia):
    In general, single edits used to miss out some of the guitar solo (eg Every Rose Has Its Thorn by Poison) or fade out an outro solo, miss a verse off, generally butcher a song...
    I'm usually in favour of the album versions except in rare cases like the aforementioned Whitesnake song where I like both takes on the song equally.

9. c-eling

Slightly cool 7 inch version of Public Image's Body from 1988 :)

10. crazywater

crazywater Dangerous Dreamer...

I don't think I've ever heard that version of Two Tickets To Paradise. Very weird....

11. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

The 45 minute tubular bells has a nice 3 minute 45 version if you are short on time. Listening to the full version now. The actual soundtrack is a little creepy .

Colinjpush likes this.
  12. Jayseph

Jayseph Somewhere Between Penny Lane & Alphabet St.

The first time I heard Kiss on Prince’s Parade I was shocked that the coda was chopped off and Anotherloverholenyohead came straight in. Something just feels missing without that coda (or the full 12” treatment).

smokeverbs and skisdlimit like this.
  13. The single version of Avalon by Roxy Music has slightly different backing vocals

Garageflower likes this.
  14. Has this versions of Two Tickets ever been on CD? I’ve always preferred this version and had the single

15. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

When I started working at a record store, I wasn't listening to AM radio at all, so I didn't hear the single versions anymore. Kind of a sharp cutoff point for me; up 'til the end of 1968, I was living in Omaha and listening to the radio, and by January I was in L.A. listening to "underground" FM.

16. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

The album version it's ok, but the single version, it's incredible

17. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Everything is on a case-by-case basis. It also depends on subjectivity.

troggy likes this.
  18. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Starting in 1978, I heard more album versions than single edits because I heard more albums, and radio even started playing more album cuts, even on top 40 radio. For me in the late 70s, it was all about the album.

I started buying a lot of 45s in 1983 again.

19. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

This song should be the next Billy Joel single :)

20. Hombre

Hombre Forum Resident

"Let It Be" by the Beatles: single > album
    "Why" by the Byrds: album > single
    "Help Me, Rhonda" by the Beach Boys: single > album (Today!)

starduster likes this.
  21. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

22. a customer

I wish I could get the 45 by Steppenwolf I cant purchase a double cd for one song . Not anymore

Now if Dunhill made a best of steppenwolf grassroots and mom and pop 45s of about 15 songs that would be _______

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  23. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I noticed this when I bought Greatest Hit albums of some bands. If I got into the band, I noticed the longer versions on their studio LP. :shrug:

[​IMG]

c-eling likes this.
  24. a customer

The
    Light my fire magic carpet ride wont get fooled again are the three that stand out in my teen years

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  25. gmcjj

gmcjj Forum Resident

Badfinger had the single of "Baby Blue" that was different than the album version. The single had a echo on the snare drums which isn't on the lp. It almost is too much for my tastes, I prefer the album version

Bingo Bongo likes this.