Skipping Marantz CD63se player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by peter, Aug 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peter

peter Senior Member Thread Starter

My ab0ve-described player has tonight started skipping every 20 seconds or so continually on every cd I own. (Previously, it only did this occasionally, and then, usually only on import CD's, or my "import" needle drops.

Is this an easy fix, or is it time to get another player?

Also, is there ANY CD player out there that has HDCD in which the HDCD chip can be "canceled" on non-HDCD CD's? I ask this because I was told that the HDCD chip "interferes" with non-HDCD's. However, I just received the JPN. CSN&Y "Deja Vu" CD, which sounds AMAZING, even on my non-HDCD player. I'd love to hear it on HDCD!

Hope someone can help.

Peter

2. audio

audio New Member

Peter,
    You might try cleaning the laser lens. You'd be surprised at how many cd player issues are resolved with nothing more than this simple procedure. Do not, I repeat, do not use one of those crappy cd cleaners with the little brushes on it. Those will scratch the lens. There is a very specific, very careful way to properly clean this and it involves nothing more than a cotton swab and pure alcohol. If you would like detailed instructions, I'd be happy to provide them, although I think you might find them in the archives.

As far as a HDCD player where you can cancell the HDCD chip, that's an excellent question. I've not heard of one, personally. I'd like to hear more about the idea that the HDCD chip "interferes" with non-HDCDs if you would care to elaborate.

3. peter

Re: Re: Skipping Marantz CD63se player

This was told to me by someone at MusicDirect--it's the only place I have heard this. I am interested to resolve the issue, because of how good the JPN. paper sleeve HDCD "Deja Vu" CD sounds even in my player. I also have the Buffalo Springfileld box and the Springsteen box and am impressed with the sound on both--I would love to hear them with HDCD.

And for the record, apparently, ONLY the 1998 JPN paper-sleeve Deja Vu CD has the HDCD encoding. That's why it goes for ridiculous money. I had to pay $223.00 for it. Still, it is the BEST version of this album I have heard and I have orig. US/German/UK/Canadian vinyl and a 1981 Pioneer issue JPN. vinyl copy.

4. peter

sorry I messed up my reply. part of my reply got included in your response. I will clarify--I would love your cleaning instructions.

Peter

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I know a guy who just uses compressed air.

Just a thought....

6. audio

audio New Member

Why to damage the springs and put the laser out of allignment, dude!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.