Slaughter A Few Sacred Audiophile Cows

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Shak Cohen, Sep 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Let's just end this now
    If it costs more than $100 it's snake oil and just trying to separate you from your money. If you spent more than $500 on your stereo you must be an idiot.

2. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident Thread Starter

From the '90s I believe. Another fad from that time was to leave your CDs in the freezer for a while, which supposedly gave them a 'crisper' sound..

katstep likes this.
  3. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

You've heard the highs from a record coming from the stylus while playing it. That's because the record itself is acting like a tiny loudspeaker, being excited by the vibration of the stylus in the groove. The point of those "silly" record mats is to absorb that unwanted vibration for a cleaner sound. Record clamps serve much the same function, coupling the record more tightly to the mat for reduced microphonics.

4. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Please explain..

5. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Of course that's nonsense, it's pretty obvious that you would put them in the crisper... I mean come on!... ;)

Ash76, Robin L and Shak Cohen like this.
  6. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

And ...we're done. :righton:

D.D.

7. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

I never freeze CD's. I prefer to saute them, but only in real butter. Frying a CD in margarine makes them sound "fake". That dreaded "vegetable oil glaze" on the top end.

8. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

That there really are such things as "giant killers" (as opposed simply to high-quality inexpensive hardware), and that such giant killers actually have slain giants. If there are slain giants, show me the bodies.

9. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Much earlier.

10. Shak Cohen

That's the point. It's not explainable in technical terms, except perhaps for the use of tiny spirit levels. However, it clearly worked better than the 'correct' method to my ears. And in about 1/5th or 1/10th of the time.

11. Diamond Dog

Considering all the reputed giant-killers roaming these parts, we do still seem to have an awful lot of giants wandering around...

D.D.

jupiterboy likes this.
  12. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

13. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Anyone else getting tired of people on an audiophile forum striking the Slayer Of Sacred Cows pose? How do these people even listen to an album or a CD without ruining the experience by convincing themselves that it's all self-deception and snake oil?

action pact likes this.
  14. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Don't touch my cow!

[​IMG]

blackwaterrisin, LeeS, Pancat and 3 others like this.
  15. Diamond Dog

Shaddup and kill a cow ! ;)

D.D.

dkmonroe likes this.
  16. Shak Cohen

I know well of Mana, and I actually owned an Audiotech (similar brand) Isolation table once when I had a Linn turntable - an appropriate pairing. The pricing for such things is scary considering what it is you're paying for though..

17. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Hear! Hear! :cheers:

dkmonroe likes this.
  18. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I have recently softened my stance on time coherency. Still sticking with phase, and I like speaker designers that consider both, so no phase flipped tweeters for me.

19. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Ya'll understand that the cleanin' fluid's for drinkin' dontcha? Thought so,

jupiterboy likes this.
  20. Shak Cohen

It's completely the opposite IME, it's always seems as if those that have spent the most on hi-fi that are the least satisfied with the sound. Sadly the stereotype of an audiophile is not a music lover but someone who has about five records/CDs in their collection..

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  21. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Microwaving a CD really changes its texture. Also can change the texture of your kitchen.

22. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Well, it's difficult for me to believe that people who apparently invest several hours every day in attempting to prove that their companions in a hobby are idiots, fools and charlatans still have anything left over with which to simply enjoy music. I've seen people saw off the branch they are sitting on multiple times. I can only surmise that they don't understand that they're doing it.

David Ellis likes this.
  23. Shak Cohen

Don't you dare, I'm a vegetarian!

24. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Too late!

25. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

You're not killing the cow, he is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.