Sleep releases "The Sciences" - first album in 20 years; on 4/20*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael Rose, Apr 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Also, I can say that Sleep is the only stoner doom band rolling that can still use the bong rip sound effect without me rolling my eyes.

2. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

Picked the CD up on Monday at my local record store......found out about it that day. Just a phenomenal album. To be honest, I wasn't a huge fan of Dopesmoker...... I really like the shorter (10 - 15 minutes......LOL) songs on this one.

3. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

Love the swingin’ drums, Al’s bass tone, and I also love what happens when Matt Pike can just concentrate on the riffs! This may be the best iteration of Sleep yet. :edthumbs:

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  4. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

Me too, I would have liked Dopesmoker edited down to 30 minutes or so. This new one is perfect with the song lengths for me. It's kind of like Dopesmoker in shorter segments.

DME1061 likes this.
  5. Dax_Frost

Dax_Frost A Visual Loop

This was recorded at Sharkbite Studios so there is a decent chance that it was recorded to tape. Sharkbite Studios | Consoles and Monitors

I haven't received my record yet but it even sounds huge on Spotify...exactly how a Sleep record should sound.

6. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

7. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Guess I would have been better off not rushing to order this via Third Man. Oh well I can just stream in the meantime.

8. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm not blaming the band here, but this roll-out could've been handled better. Only just today got a notification that the CD I ordered on Friday is finally shipping and still won't be here until later next week. Meanwhile I just walked in to a shop and picked up the green vinyl for $3 cheaper than it was on the Third Man pre-sale before shipping. Sure it's not the "limited" edition, but it's fine.

9. scottp

scottp Forum Resident

In addition to the inside gatefold, the liner notes of the CD have individual member pics that pay homage to Rush's Moving Pictures sleeve pics! Nice!!! This is my fave album of the year....and the best artwork/concepts I can think of going back to I don't know when...

CD arrived today...LP will be here next week. :)

10. bluelips

bluelips Forum Resident

love that inner gatefold! zz top tribute?

scottp likes this.
  11. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Think so and booklet is def Moving Pics. I can even see a copy of the Fiend Folio in the gatefold CD cover. So take that Lp snobs! Very looking forward to cranking this proper thru proper Klipsch Chorus II BASS TERROR 666 speakers. Glistening to this via earbuds is DE FACTO heresy. Natch.

12. libertycaps

Not to mention Bill Ward on the milk carton Missing side. And Iommi/Jesus' face apparition in the center of the toast. Lols! This is just the CD, mind. Really digging the clean vox. Off to a killer green start!

Greenalishi likes this.
  13. libertycaps

Wow.
    Just, Wow. Stunning and stunning sounding too. Mixed & Mastered in the zone for this kind of Heavy, CBDelic music. An immediate desire to hit Play again @ fin.

14. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I don't know how I missed this thread... I was able to land a green 2lp from amoeba and it's on the way. I alerted my fellow weedian and he missed out. Why are these so hard to get ? There was only one to be found around here and my fellow weedian grabbed it at Newbury Comics in Burlington MA. Got me a CD also for now. Such a weirdo release lol. Maybe I spaced cuz it was a good 4/20 !

Marijaunauts theme though huh ? July 28 in Boston ! 3rd sleep show for me.

This has been an amazing year ! Black Heaven from Earthless then back to the sciences !

scottp likes this.
  15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

16. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

grabbed the green version at my local store and the clerk was excited I was grabbing it and we were discussing our frustration with the way it was released and they were sad not to be picked for the ultra limited version. then this nice older lady at the checkout next to us is intrigued by our excitement and asks what it is and we show her and she hasn't heard of htem so asks what they do, and me and the clerk kinda look at eachother and she sheepishly says stoner rock and the conversation ends somewhat awkwardly.

there seem to be loads of the green vinyl around here I was at amoeba SF yesterday and saw several copies there still. amoeba online may be sold out because I think it is based solely on the amoeba Hollywood stuff.

17. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I can't get over this album the first tune just slays me. Pretty bummed the Boston show is sold out and it's gonna be $100+ for a ticket. I wouldn't mind if It wasn't going into some douches pocket.

18. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

got my green vinyl today, a lot of these were damaged I read. MAD CORNER CRUSH, dings folds and dents. My friends was kind of bad in the corners. I escaped with little bit of corner crush. Nice to see poly lined sleeves also. These look beautiful !! Flat and very centered. I been listening to the cd since release and I can say is these LP's sound even better ! Good job third man records, Jack White finally did something I like !

PRAISE IOMMI

scottp likes this.
  19. KDubATX

Still waiting on my order on this album. Third Man issued a tracking number earlier this week, but the UPSP site still shows that it is a "pre-shipment", so I guess they have not actually shipped anything yet. Fulfillment on this album has been as lame as the album itself is excellent.

20. Do you receive your mail at a PO box or a physical address?

I receive my mail at a PO. My LP and CD had been there for 4 days before I checked. - The reason? ... Third Man emailed me the wrong tracking number!

21. KDubATX

Mind delivered today and we have achieved liftoff :edthumbs:

Michael Rose likes this.
  22. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

The green vinyl sounds great. Awesome tunes too.

23. libertycaps

For those with the gatefold CD: Pay close attention to the face on the piece of toast. Hi-larious. Not to mention the face on the "Missing" milk carton.

24. KDubATX

and a nice stick of BUTLER for that toast to boot

PJayBe and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  25. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Even the trimmings look delicious...
    [​IMG]
    Photo of Al Cisneros from Third Man Pressing twitter account:
    Third Man Pressing on Twitter

Michael Rose and Greenalishi like this.
Thread Status: