Slim PS3 - SACD Playback Quality?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by keoki82, Apr 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keoki82

keoki82 Active Member Thread Starter

Anyone use the newer slim PS3 for SACD stereo playback?

I've been thinking of redeeming Air Miles for one. Its primary use would be for Blu-ray and Netflix playback through HDMI to the TV; SACD stereo playback routed to my Hi-FI; and only very occasional gaming. The Air Miles package includes the Blu-ray remote.

How is the sound quality for SACD playback? Also, are the slim consoles as noisy as the originals? A buddy has the fat PS3 and the fans get quite noisy when it's hot.

Currently I'm using the Yamaha DVD-S657 DVD-A/SACD player from 2004-ish for SACD stereo playback. It resolves enough for me to hear a difference between redbook and DSD, but isn't impressive enough to make the experience so enjoyable that I'm about to grow my SACD collection from 15 discs to 100.

I don't expect anyone here to be using this Yamaha player or if they ever had to recall what it sounds like, but I can tell you I'd be shocked if the PS3 underperforms it, given that SACD is Sony's own format and all.

I'm just hoping that the performance will improve.

Otherwise, I'm going to have to try to sell all my DACs & my Rotel RCD-1072 so that I can try to spring for the Denon DCD-A100, which is still available in Canada. I'd really hate to part with the 1072 though, as it's a beautiful player that's solidly built and matches my other components. And I've just bought the Bifrost and I'm eager to try it out beyond the 15-day return period.

Although it would be nice to cut down on all my components.

Thoughts welcome.

2. keoki82

3. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Does the slim PS3 even have SACD compatibility? I thought they removed that feature from all units while it was still fat, and that the last of them to have it was the 60GB fat unit. Mine is a 40GB fat one, and it does NOT have SACD compatibility. If I had a time machine...

4. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

After 2007 (third generation) no PS3 has any SACD capability.

5. keoki82

Damn it!

Why has Sony been consistently trying to kill its own format!!

6. Uri Cohen

Uri Cohen Forum Resident

I don't think you are missing too much. Fat PS3 SACD quality is not too great, but it is a tool to copy SACDs to your computer (DSD to PCM conversation).

7. keoki82

Maybe I should just get the Oppo 95 and be done with it!

8. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Or join the SA-CD and streaming fray with one of the bottom feeding $90 Sony Blu-ray players. Last year I jumped the BD wagon with the $92 BDP-S380. Unless you are a gamer it will get you into SA-CD nicely. Yes the PS3 is the most flexible streamer under the sun but it appears to be overkill as a disc spinner.

Blank Slate likes this.
  9. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

Because it added cost to the system without adding any value for the overwhelming majority of consumers.

10. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

This.

And this.

11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I've been using the DCD-A100 for nearly three weeks now and have to say I'm extremely happy with this machine. At 1500 dollars from Music Direct, it's a real bargain because this machine is built very well, has advanced DACs, and the sound is rich and detailed with both SACD and Redbook. So there's my thought: keep the DCD-A100 in consideration.

12. Blank Slate

Blank Slate Forum Resident

Am I understanding correctly that these inexpensive Blue Ray players will allow me to enjoy the sound benefit of the SACD format?

13. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Yes, this $90 Sony will.

14. Blank Slate

Thank you.

15. Yes, Sony was including SACD functionality on some of their mid-tier Blu-ray players at the time.

16. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

The current-generation BDP-S5100 still has SACD playback, but you wouldn't know unless you read the manual.

17. Blank Slate

Thanks Gallery. I pulled the statement below from a CNET review of the S5100. Does "natively" mean it will playback a disk?

If you're a fan of SACD, the 5100 will output DSD natively via the HDMI output. Unfortunately, it isn't able to play back DSD downloads

18. Yes, it should. That quote is referring to its ability to pass DSD over HDMI without converting it to PCM.

Blank Slate likes this.
  19. Blank Slate

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.