Small Faces "Autumn Stone" Box Set Coming (Soon?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Oct 24, 2017.

1. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

My copy of Maloney’s sounds like a noisy needle drop. If Astley can work from the tape masters or the multi tracks, I’d be game. I have all the rest of the albums, but again, I’m looking forward to if they can be cleaned up.

Hep Alien and Surferghost like this.
  2. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

Yeah I'm also up for any of Ronnie's albums from the master tapes, whoever gets to do the twiddling, to be honest. A nice book telling the story of the solo years would also be quite welcome in my house. Odd though that adding Mahoney clashes with its other separate, standalone release (even if it is from a different company), when no-one's bothered with it since at least 2000. If the whole set stays around the imagined £60 mark I'd be quite happy to pay that for a comprehensive Ronnie solo years box.

I have less initial misgivings about this than I did about the SFs Nice box, and I had to eat my words on that and it's now one of my most treasured items. So fingers crossed...

3. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I was going to order the new Mahoney's Last Stand but now I'm thinking I might hold off...

RockRoom and Hep Alien like this.
  4. Munros1969

Munros1969 Forum Resident

Me too... worth waiting to see how the box set pans out. Also, the new reissue by Real Gone Music only appears to be on CD.

5. keef285

keef285 Forum Resident

I'd be in at that price....

6. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

If/when US folks start getting the 'Smalls' 66 show/book in the mail please post here. Really anxious not only to receive it but to see if I actually ordered it~!

7. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Not US based but I listened to it today it arrived the it's an high quality audience recording better than much I have heard loads better than the stones on air imho

8. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

The bootleg versions of the songs on the Stones On Air release sound better than the officially released versions.

Surferghost likes this.
  9. KinkySmallFace1991

Is it better than the remixed live tracks on Here Come The Nice?

10. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Here's the final track on the release

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
  11. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

I don't have 'Here comes the nice' box set sorry but its a great period recording

12. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Yes.

13. KinkySmallFace1991

Once again, I must have this.

RockRoom likes this.
  14. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

I just got book with two CDs. While it's amazing to have good quality recording of Small Faces from January 66, the mastering is just dreadful. Primitive NR and it looks like (and sounds like) that all tracks are sourced from mp3 (as interview CD too). I must mention that both discs are CD-r's.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  15. marmalade166

I really wish he'd stop teasing us like this!

Is the small faces version of if you think you’re groovy with Marriott singing available???

Somewhere - I still got a lot of @ImmediateRecrds session tapes and masters to go through for @CharlyRecs. Then there's the acetate for Ogdens' in a certain attic - again, somewhere - with Groovy and Be My Baby on it... very frustrating sometimes!

Rob Caiger on Twitter

Also posted, Wide Eyed Girl On The Wall session, June 1968 at Olympic Studios

[​IMG]

16. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

That would be great. I love that song. I didn't know this until recently - apparently Steve and P.P. were an item.

17. Surferghost

I love that semi-erased "Glyn Johns is like an old woman" under 'Remarks' on the tape box up there. :laugh:

Edit: what RC says about wanting to hear a Steve vocal on Wide Eyed Girl - it's so ingrained in my head and heart as an instrumental that I can't even imagine a vocal on it, however good it might be.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    rediffusion likes this.
  18. Surferghost

The US Amazon pre-order page for this has been up for quite a while now, but guess what, there's still no pre-order page for Amazon UK or any other UK retailer (not even Spin CDs, who love to pluck fictional available stock numbers from thin air and hardly ever deliver - sometimes literally). The Autumn Stone is allegedly just over a month away from release now, remember. Meanwhile, Rob Caiger's most recent tweets reveal he seems equally if not more concerned about tweaking the packaging than the music within.

After the recent surprise release of the SFs 1966 live material, and with all the buzz around The Who's upcoming Fillmore release (with its fully-functional UK pre-order page), The Autumn Stone is turning into a real over-hyped damp squib after such an interminable wait. An over-hyped damp squib I'll just go through the motions of buying by this point, because it completes the set and little more. That's if the record companies concerned will 'permit' me to buy it without my having to go through the same ridiculous rigmarole I had to go through to get the Nice box...

Tristero and hallucalation like this.
  19. villiers terrace

villiers terrace Forum Resident

The ‘Smalls’ book/CD was briefly on Amazon UK for £23 yesterday. When I ordered there were only 3 left and it went OOS just after I checked out so it might be worth checking periodically to see if it pops up again. A third party seller on there is currently asking £74 for it....

20. marmalade166

I've got a spare book+CD if anyone is looking for one

21. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident

Do you have link to the listing? I don't know the title or whether to look under music or books. Thanks.

22. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

23. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident

24. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

Received the package last night in the US. Wow, these guys were just explosive on stage in the formative days. Dare I say many of the band's contemporaries fell way short of the Small Faces and their on stage prowess. So worth it. Hope the book/cd lands for others in the US soonish!

Surferghost likes this.
  25. Surferghost

NEWSFLASH: A significantly less muddy, almost listenable version of the 1969 Vienna gig has turned up on Yootoob:

Still rather distorted but Long Black Veil/Every Little Bit Hurts doesn't sound half bad! I can see myself listening to this version of this gig more than once!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018