Small Faces "Autumn Stone" Box Set Coming (Soon?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

Lovely to read your memories of Bernard Butler, Keanu and Dog Man Star, Rob, but what about those tracklists, eh?

:waiting:

(I feel like I know the above smiley so well now, that I'm going to start calling him Ernie)

marmalade166 likes this.
  2. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

So you're stalking him on twitter as well ;)

noahjld and Surferghost like this.
  3. Surferghost

I am. I mean business :).

Munros1969, noahjld and marmalade166 like this.
  4. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Get a move on! I

Surferghost and marmalade166 like this.
  5. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Nice picture of some Billy Nicholls tapes though.

6. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Small Faces 3-LP The Autumn Stone IMAL0102 27 April. Thanks to Oli, Scarlett, Jessie & Stanley for help with Autumn trees & leaves.

SIDE 1 Here Come the Nice (stereo) The Autumn Stone (stereo) Collibosher (stereo) All Or Nothing (mono) Red Balloon (stereo) Lazy Sunday (stereo)
    SIDE 2 Call It Something Nice (stereo) I Can't Make It (mono) Afterglow (stereo) Sha La La La Lee (mono) The Universal (stereo)
    SIDE 3 Rollin' Over (live) If I Were A Carpenter (live) Every Little Bit Hurts (live) My Minds Eye (mono) Tin Soldier (mono) Just Passing (mono)
    SIDE 4 Itchycoo Park (stereo) Hey Girl (mono) Wide-Eyed Girl On The Wall (stereo) Whatcha Gonna Do About It? (mono) Wham, Bam, Thank You, Mam (mono
    SIDE 5 Autumn Leaves… Just Passing Olympic Jam (One More!) Donkey Rides, A Penny A Glass The Autumn Stone Me You and Us Too A Collibosher (Take 1)
    SIDE 6 - SMALL FACES LIVE Rollin' Over (live) If I Were a Carpenter (live) Every Little Bit Hurts (live) All Or Nothing (live) Tin Soldier (live)

7. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I will be ordering this for sure.

8. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

LP only?

9. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Glad 'Donkey Rides' has made it on.. that always seemed a bit of a glaring omission from the original album.

noahjld likes this.
  10. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Look forward to hearing side 5.

11. heyday2day

heyday2day Forum Resident

The current Shindig Magazine has an article about the upcoming release of Autumn Stone. In a nutshell, it states that the original was made up of-from inferior tapes and mixes but that this reissue will use the original mixes.

Tuck1977 likes this.
  12. marmalade166

They're really going to include most of the live material twice, just so the first 4 sides replicate the original album?!I guess the cd will be shorter then...

13. Surferghost

So... we get three of those live tracks twice (I know what their logic is, but still...), and there's (apparently) no sign of 'Take My Time'. Hm. That's quite... I dunno, disappointing? Frustrating? Bloody Annoying? Probably all of those. 'Take 1' of 'Collibosher', which seems to be the only real rarity there, might simply be the version without the brass section from the old Repertoire box, but I won't know until I've heard it. They'll all be remixed, I suppose, and a few of the bonus versions might run longer than they originally did (no fades, maybe), but I can't help feeling I'm clutching at straws to help me see any positives here. Well, hopefully the tracklist for the still allegedly longer CD version includes some different bonus material, so long as it's not a bonus CD EP of the sound of a barrel being scraped.

And I'm calling it now: on this evidence 'Olympic Jam' is most likely going to be the track we already know as 'Take My Time' under another title. The existing track with that title was probably recorded at Olympic, and it is definitely a jam. Let's not forget they have form for using working/alternate titles for existing songs, giving the false impression that something 'new' has been unearthed (Bun In The Oven - which should have been the working title for Song Of A Baker, not Rollin' Over). But again, I won't know until I've heard it. Maybe they'll let it run to the end rather than fade it.

The liner notes had better be good. But I won't know until I've read them.

Yeah, of course I'm going to buy it.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  14. Surferghost

And no BBC session :realmad:

Going to be on the Ogden's box, innit. Which means I'm committed to buying that as well, now.

Hm. I'm a bit more annoyed about that than I really ought to be.

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  15. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

Nice news to wake up to on my birthday. I’m all in for Small Faces, always.

Tommyboy, stevemoss, Kevin55 and 4 others like this.
  16. marmalade166

+1 :D

17. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :cheers:

18. Surferghost

Also... The end of April isn't March.

EDIT: I'm struggling to respond to one of those tweets asking what Olympic Jam sounds like, without saying something sarcastic like "Hopefully not Take My Time."

Kevin55 likes this.
  19. marmalade166

Looks like someone already has, unless that's your good self?

20. Surferghost

No, someone's saved me the trouble.

Excellent.

EDIT: Ah, I don't think anyone's mentioned Take My Time specifically though have they, he'd be forced to confirm or deny it (or deafeningly ignore it) if anyone did.

I'm trying to phrase it diplomatically myself, but I also hate Twatter and don't want my real name all over it.

Probably not worth it, I'll still buy the bloody thing no matter what's on it (mumble grumble).

21. marmalade166

I don't think I've heard of Take My Time, what info do we have about it?

22. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

It's track 20 on the Repertoire Anthology 2 x CD collection from a few years back. If that's it's correct title....

Surferghost likes this.
  23. marmalade166

Hmmm, interesting for a couple of listens buts that's about it for me unfortunately...

peachyg72 likes this.
  24. Surferghost

Yeah it's alright, but nothing earth-shattering.

It was also on the Wapping Wharf Launderette comp later, alongside the later '68 tracks, which is what has me worried. The brassless Collibosher has only ever appeared on the Repertoire box though I think.

25. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I see that they're continuing with the Small Faces reissue policy of doling out a meager handful of rarities along with the same tracks that we've bought countless times before. Never has a fanbase been so thoroughly milked as this.