Small floorstanding speakers for rock and metal?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by deniall, Nov 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

2. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Not a bad speaker. Good recommendation. Klipsch is good bang for the buck. I always wondered how they compare to the Heritage models like the Cornwall IIIs. Apples and oranges perhaps, but a shoot out would be pretty cool...

SBurke likes this.
  3. The Dunster

The Dunster Forum Resident

As expected they are a very nice amp.

4. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

Rock / Metal?

Man I wish you were willing to go vintage... Pioneer HPM-100's are pretty much perfect for the type of music you're playing.

Better yet (if size is an issue), a set of HPM-500'S are about 2/3 the footprint and have the same big sound.

5. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Exactly, I think the really interesting shoot-out would be a comparison to Cornwalls. I have an older set of Heresys, not in the same location as my Reference speakers, but they're clearly very different. The Cornwalls would be a really good comparison.

motorcitydave likes this.
  6. motorcitydave

I see. Sounds good. I'm glad you agree. :)

7. rodney sherman

rodney sherman Forum Resident

Black Friday specials on Klipsch reference! 50 % off!!!

8. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

You could check out the Amphion line from Finland.
    The pair I heard kicked butt.

9. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Clarity in my original post, THAT is what's missing. The subwoofer takes a significant load off the main speakers and off the amplifier (essentially increasing the headroom of the amp by removing the high voltage swing associated with the bass frequencies) IF IF IF those are high-passed.

If there is no high pass filtering, which unfortunately many stereo integrated appear to not be configurable for, those benefits don't accrue.

Actually it is not the line out that matters, it is some kind of pre-out main-in, allowing a high passed signal to enter the power amp section of the integrated. That feature is vanishingly rare now. :cry:

10. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

In my humble opinion I prefer to run the mains "full range" and use the speaker level inputs on the sub. My goal is for the least amount of filtering as possible. I don't want the sub crossover controlling my amp. I don't have satellite speakers so small that they need serious "bass management".

11. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Any vintage JBL model suited for your room will simply blow away all the Dynaudios and Proacs of this world and will cost a lot less.

12. motorcitydave

13. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

Any specific models to be on the lookout for?

14. motorcitydave

15. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

JBL L100's are widely regarded as THE rock speakers of the 70's.

I have a set and they're great, but not as good as my little Pioneer HPM-500's (IMO). And that's not an easy pill for me to swallow considering how much I paid for the JBL's vs. the Pioneer's.

But Anton is correct, JBL made some really good stuff back in the day. And a perfect mint set of L100's with new quadrex foam, etc. can be had for about $1,000.00. And they're considered collector's items, so you'll have no problem re-selling them down the line for your entire purchase price if they don't float your boat.

However, If I could only own (1) set of rock speakers, my choice would be the Kenwood LS-990's from 1979(ish). Problem is, they're impossible to find in the perfect mint condition I require. I've been looking forever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.