Smashing Pumpkins - Adore Reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PageLesPaul, Sep 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll... Thread Starter

Apparently, Billy Corgan shared today some of the new songs that will be on the Adore Reissue. There is also a link to the news on the Smashing Pumpkins facebook page but the link was not working at this time. 1236647_10151950741997642_1801640295_n.jpg

JeffMo and Hep Alien like this.
  2. PageLesPaul

safe_imageCAYQU1T0.jpg Here is a very tiny photo of the artwork.

3. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

Definitely looking forward to this, and "Eye (Remix)" is exciting, one of their better non-album tracks.

JeffMo and Hep Alien like this.
  4. PageLesPaul

http://www.crestfallen.com/2013/09/18/update-the-smashing-pumpkins-adore-reissue-status/

We’ve got some exciting news to share with you about the Adore reissue. This morning, we got an email from Billy Corgan with an attachment of just some of the work that has to be done for the upcoming reissue.
    The attachment contained an alphabetical list with a number of songs being worked on for the Adore reissue. A number of unknown tracks such as Bedroom 4, Everybody, Fer Blues, and Heaven are on the list, as well as an apparent cover of Everyday I Die with Matt Walker? and if you look closely you can see a 2nd page with what appears to say “I Want You To Want Me”, a song that has been covered in the past.

The list, of course, has a number of known tracks with alternative titles including a Cash Car Star (Remix), Ava Adore (Puff/Remix), Annie Dog (Garson).
    When we asked if we could expect this work to be completed by the end of the year we got an emphatic response of “Not gonna happen!” So until further notice, we can drool over this fantastic information!

smashing_pumpkins_adore.jpg

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. Goratrix

Goratrix Well-Known Member

Is "Batman" what I think it is? The End Is The Beginning Is The End and its versions? Did they manage to license it? That would be sweet.

6. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Interestingly, it uses the artwork of the original vinyl LP that featured a MONO mix.

7. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

I have that vinyl! Great alternate mix (not a stereo fold-down, but a unique mono mix), and even better cover art than the CD.

marblesmike likes this.
  8. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Rumor has it the mono mix will be featured on this set. I've never heard it so I hope it is.

I'm really looking forward to this release. I think that this particular era in SP's history is really interesting, as well as very under appreciated.

stef1205, marblesmike and PH416156 like this.
  9. PageLesPaul

I love "Mellon Collie" but this is my favorite release from them.

10. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

And I'm hoping a potential new vinyl edition will be in stereo;) Totally underappreciated and a fascinating album but for me the last interesting thing BC did:(

marblesmike likes this.
  11. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Thats pretty amazing. Was it packaged as such or just snuck in for people to discover?

12. crispi

13. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

I would agree with you, if you're talking strictly Pumpkins. However, I've always loved Zwan and hope hope hope that they release a box or something someday. That's my ultimate Corgan dream, if you will.

FLF, Jerquee, Hep Alien and 1 other person like this.
  14. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Doesn't look like there was a sticker calling attention to it though, so was it just a surprise for the people that bought it? (And is this the only album since Ram with a dedicated mono mix?)

15. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

The vinyl mono version of Adore is vastly superior to the horrible distorted CD.

This is the one I've been looking forward too. One of my favorite albums and this was the start of Billy clipping and distorting everything he worked on.

In fact this and Machina are the albums that made me first learn what clipping was. For years I thought there was something wrong with my equipment. Then when MSOTS came out I finally realized that sound was clipping.

crispi likes this.
  16. Neonbeam

Haha... it also says "Monaural" on the backcover and... no joke... it took me at least four years to realize that this was NOT a joke. This mono mix is so well done that I simply didn't notice it. Especially since I NEVER heard the CD back in the day. The only dealbreakers are the total absence of a booklet (and credits) and the blank fourth side. If BC decided to squeeze this loooong album onto three sides of vinyl he could at least have given us a nice etching...

17. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

yup, when the vinyl was released in 1998 I didn't know it was a mono mix

18. crispi

The mono mix of Adore is indeed an anomaly in the recording industry. But given the fact that it appeared in the dark years of vinyl, I guess it wasn't much of a risky undertaking, since there were only 4 people buying the vinyl anyway, right? :uhhuh: I guess the original pressing must be quite expensive now.

I agree with the comments regarding sound quality. The stereo CD is much too loud. The mono mix sounds very good indeed. (With the possible exception of the first track, which I've always found to sound too congested, with the lower mids too bloated -- anyone else feel the same?)

19. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Copies are around and average a hundred bucks. Wish I'd known this was around at the time.

20. In-Absentia

In-Absentia Forum Resident

I thought the Adore vinyl stayed in print? I remember seeing new copies at a few different record stores as recently as a year ago, and I didn't think that this title was bootlegged.

21. Neonbeam

Vinyl is strange and unpredictable;) I remember "Adore" being kicked out at a local record store for 10€ in 2001. They had lots of copies and they sold slow.

From 2004/5 onwards this album sold for around 20/30€ while the occasional new copy turned up in record stores for less than 20. No idea where they came from but it was the same with "Mellon Collie", somewhere around 2004 unnumbered copies turned up. And.... NO.... I am NOT talking about the counterfeit from 2007. These were official Virgin/ Hut pressings.

Be that as it may once they were gone "Adore"'s price slowly started to rise. Especially since it is well known that it contains an exclusive mix. But the - relatively - long availability (almost 10 years) is the reason why so many sealed copies are offered with new copies being sold in stores as recently as... well... to he honest I don't think I've seen it much after 2010. At least outside of Ebay;)

22. In-Absentia

In-Absentia Forum Resident

I suppose it is possible that it was just a slow seller, but it really is strange how most 90s albums have been difficult to find for many years while Adore lingered in the bins, at least in my area, for years.

I just looked up some complete auctions and I'm really shocked at how high they went. Hopefully the reissue is good, assuming they continue doing the vinyl reissues alongside the CD sets.

23. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

Billy's promised a Zwan box set after the Machina I and II reissue.

I'm a little surprised that this indicates Adore would be a bigger release along the lines of Mellon Collie and Aeroplane, and not like the Gish/SD/PI sets. Probably a good thing, since this is a pretty great era for the Pumpkins, but the whole '95-96 timeframe was a period of total excess, so it was appropriate that the sets for that era would follow that. I wonder why they didn't go the super-deluxe route for the first two albums though.

Jerquee and Hep Alien like this.
  24. Neonbeam

There are a lot of examples for 90's album being available for what seemed like forever and now fetching permium prices - see Nick Cave's post-1991 output. ALL these albums sat in local stores until 2008 and then... :mudscrying:

25. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I know it will never happen, but I am praying for a more dynamic version of this album on digital. Please Bob Ludwig/Billy do not slam this as hard as the original CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.