Smashing Pumpkins - Adore Reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PageLesPaul, Sep 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I think he said it sounded good. Both the EU and US pressings were cut from the same lacquer (Stan Getz mastered at A&R Dallas) so I would expect it to sound good minus any pressing plant issues.

dee likes this.
  2. therebelsell

therebelsell Forum Resident

How so?

3. marblesmike

Aside from having two separate channels of music rather than one, the stereo version doesn't sound as dark or veiled as the mono version. I do prefer the mono version of some of the tracks for sure though. I don't know how else to describe the differences other than I think the stereo version sounds clearer with more separation.

4. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Had a copy in my hands at the local record store tonight. Decided not to, United pressing apprehension....

5. marblesmike

Why not? Everyone here says the pressing is great minus a couple comments.

6. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

You're right, I'll probably get on Friday....IMO the last of the classic Pumpkins era...

7. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Uhhhhh... not really, man.

For me the noise starts in the left channel and is quite loud -- and rhythmic (comes up every rotation of the platter), so it's really grabs your attention. It occurs for at least 3 minutes on my copy. That's not something "minor" that only occurs "between the two tracks".

8. marblesmike

Or order it from Amazon so you can easily exchange it if need be.

9. marblesmike

Jeez if it's that bad on your copy then yeah I'd say that's not minor. I don't remember that at all when I listened to my copy so I'll definitely relisten tomorrow night and follow up.

When exactly does it occur?

10. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I think it's amazing how folks accept faulty editions just to have an album on vinyl. Right now it seems clear that neither United nor GZ got it right. So instead of a mass return in order to show the label that you don't accept crap like this you SERIOUSLY consider buying it? Really?

Well...each to their own. All I can say is that out of the recent new albums I bought - Aphex Twin, Ryan Adams, Robert Plant, Beatles - the GZ "Adore" was the only one that looked used and unacceptable. All the other releases looked shiny and new. So either Virgin gets it right or I'll stick with the old mono edition.

11. marblesmike

There's a difference between a couple clicks here and there and all out pressing defects. I've had vinyl that has looked bad but sounds great and vice versa. I said I still need to go back and relisten to my copy of Adore from United because I don't remember any of what Chris mentioned above, but I could have missed it. If it is as bad on my copy as described above then of course I'll be returning it.

12. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

The US Stereo reissue is superb, and significantly better than the original Mono. I urge anyone here to just go Stereo reissue.

My main beef w/ the Mono is that it's basically a Stereo Folddown, and it's mixed very poorly. A Few songs are cool in Mono (Daphne Descends, Apples + Oranjes and Shame), but most suffer from a weak mix (particularly Ava Adore). The CD reissue of Mono is even worse.

dee likes this.
  13. marblesmike

It's not a fold-down. Billy made a dedicated mono mix for the album.

dee and crispi like this.
  14. Neonbeam

Do you have any source for that? Because I've wondered for years who made this mono mix and why. I don't think it's a fold-down either. Why would BC do that? After so much effort went into the tripple "Mellon Collie" set.

15. marblesmike

http://www.digitaltrends.com/music/billy-corgan-smashing-pumpkins-adore-reissue/

So it is sorta a fold down, although it is a new mix. It's a dedicated mix, but it wasn't done on a true mono board.

Adam Bosman and Neonbeam like this.
  16. marblesmike

Okay I'm listening now...are you talking about side B or side C? Dusty is on side C and Tear is on side B.

Right now I'm on side B and Tear has just started. No loud repeating noise between Once Upon A Time and Tear.

Edit to add that on side C, following Dusty into Annie-dog there is NOT any repeating noise on my copy. So I guess this defect isn't present on all copies pressed at United.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  17. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Finally had a chance to play my copy. First, let me say that the paper inner sleeves are the absolute worst I've ever seen on any vinyl record. They seem to be deteriorating onto the vinyl. What were they thinking? That said, with a run through the spin-clean, the discs came out spotless, with neither a scratch nor fingerprint to be seen. Disc 1 is perfectly flat, Disc 2 has a very subtle/slight warp that is barely noticeable and doesn't affect play--I can live with it. The discs play flawlessly and completely silent. Sonics are great as far as I can tell (at least it sounds better than I remember the CD sounding). I'm a happy camper with this one. Recommended.

dee and marblesmike like this.
  18. Neonbeam

19. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

No noise on my copy, just for the record. \m/

20. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

Yeah, I suppose I should have specified that qualifier. So, I guess to sum it up; I just don't think it's a very good mix and I'm usually a big fan of Mono. I also think the Adore reissue (the album, not bonus) sounds really good, so people will be missing out on a great album if they only go for a Mono vinyl. Nostalgic, but leaves a lot to be desired.

21. marblesmike

Exactly; some of the songs sound great in mono and others (Ava Adore in particular) sound kinda messy.

22. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

I kinda like the mono of "Dusty and Pistol Pete" on the deluxe.

Adam Bosman likes this.
  23. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I've been ingnoring the mono cd so far, but I think I'll play it tonight.

24. melo85

melo85 Forum Resident

Got my copy of vinyl on Tuesday, listening to it now. Didn't find any hint of GZ in the dead wax, so it must be the US copy (ordered it on amazon from some seller in New York). In all respects great pressing: beautiful package, labels, good sound, vinyl is quiet except for light crackling which will not disturb if you don't listen to it. Records look nice, but whoever proposed the idea of paper sleeves (no matter how long ago) should be punished severely.

The album side arrangement is just as I wished, the only tiny disappointment is that :17 is a listed (not hidden) track. And it would work better as a hidden one (after some silence). If I was an engineer, I would totally put that ting-a-ling in the run out groove and into the loop to make it last.

25. Hedin

Hedin Forum Resident

Here is a question to UK & EU reissue owners. Did you get inner sleeves with lyrics, liner notes and credits with yours?

discogs reviewer complains there is no (booklet with) linear notes and credits. Would be strange if they left them out for Europe, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.