Smashing Pumpkins' classic line up recording a new album & tour*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

The mastering is the main problem with most SP releases in my opinion. I thought Zeitgeist was good, but it's hard to listen to. One of the worst SOUNDING albums I own.

The Machina Pre-Master is less compressed I think, but it wasn't an overall improvement on the listening experience for me.

2. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

That’s a pretty ambitious itinerary considering that, as many have noted, it’s really just the addition of Iha. I question the wisdom of starting out in the US rather than creating a buzz with a few European festival shows.

This isn’t like Guns n Roses, where Slash was viewed as critical to the band. On the other hand, I remember the prophets of doom on this Forum calling GnR crazy for thinking they could play stadiums at this juncture. As it turned out, that tour sold slowly at first, only gaining momentum once it started, and reviews and word-of-mouth were overwhelmingly positive. That’s probably the key to success for the Pumpkins as well - play a show that just blows people away. Those initial audience reviews and YouTube videos will be key.

Well, I would assume that the deal with Live Nation assures them of a decent paycheck for those first 36 shows. The real $$$ will come if the tour is a success and allows them to take the show to Europe, South America and Asia, or even make repeat appearances.

Besides, maybe a better analogy would be Journey - people thought it was silly when they announced that their new lead vocalist was some little guy from the Philippines. That was, like, a decade ago. So, you never know. But, don’t underestimate the power of nostalgia.

Runicen likes this.
  3. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Think Iha will get to sing a song every night?

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I guess the idea is to reach people that haven't really been following the band all along. The people that don't know they could have seen basically this same band a couple of years ago. So if you make a big to-do about a reunion they don't think, 'hey James Iha is back'...they think 'Wow the Smashing Pumpkins got back together'.

As far as Guns N' Roses, I was definitely one of those people that thought they were crazy to book stadiums. I was wrong about that and I'm still amazed they did as well as they did. I also don't regret not going to the shows in my area. Lots of people obviously disagree but the current version of that band just doesn't do it for me.

5. Django

Django Forum Resident

I know Billy has railed against nostalgia and the idea of the pumpkins becoming an oldies act. And in fairness to him he has forged ahead recording new music but obviously the indifference of the general has gotten to him, hence this reunion. Funnily I'm kind of indifferent to band reunions at this stage.

6. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Well, I've never seen the Pumpkins, but like all their various stuffs. Gonna try for this with a couple of buddies who we've started a tradition of seeing a concert each fall. So far Black Sabbath, Motorhead, Green Day! I think/hope this will fit in well. And hope it's NOT like this:
    By the way, anyone who has a chance to see "The Great Pumpkin" tribute band should. I saw them in Riverside, CA and they were very good. The drummer uncorked one of the best drum solos I've EVER seen.

Fullbug and Hep Alien like this.
  7. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

Just listening to Oceania now and it’s a strong record. The title track is great as are tracks like Violet Rays, Celestials and My Love is Winter.

8. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Wait, do you mean Chris Cornell? :p
    I'm mostly indifferent, though I really want to see The Eagles...which isn't really a reunion, I want to see them with Vince Gill. The one reunion that would really whip out my wallet would be Journey with Steve Perry, IF his voice was worth a darn. And if I didn't think his voice would lead to short, 1.5 hour shows. Maybe My Chemical Romance...basically I *might* be interested in reunions of bands/artists I never managed to see the first time.

9. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

It's possible but I wouldn't say it's a guarantee. If they do, then maybe Blew Away would get the nod. I always thought it was his strongest song.

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Update from Billy's Instagram (WilliamPatrickCorgan on Instagram: “Good day! Back home in Chicago, snowy and unfair as she is, with a week to refine lyrics for the 8 new SP songs, whilst also finishing hope…” ):
    "Good day! Back home in Chicago, snowy and unfair as she is, with a week to refine lyrics for the 8 new SP songs, whilst also finishing hope a couple more solo songs. The solo album is currently between 16 and 18 songs, and still in need of overdubs. And speaking of overdubs, we'll be back in Malibu next week to sing shiny new lyrics and cut final guitar overdubs with James and Jeff. Busy! But good busy. And for birdwatchers, here are the titles for the 8 Smashing Pumpkins songs: Alienation, Travels, Silvery Sometimes, Solara, With Sympathy, Marchin' On, Knights of Malta, Seek and You Shall Destroy"

Runicen, SinisterGinger and Hep Alien like this.
  11. TheMovieRad

TheMovieRad If you want to count me, count me out

AGREED! I cant even listen to Stand Inside as the bass is so obnoxiously overbearing. I really like 7 or 8 cuts off of Machina though. There are some great songs and it was good to hear JC back on drums.

Hep Alien likes this.
  12. TheMovieRad

God some of those titles reek of the last few pumpkins’ records... I am hopeful but I am also prepared for the worst. I have WPC solo album and I’ve goven it a few spins but it’s a little hollow and ornate. When he tries to say something he says nothing and it seems like he’s forgotten how to write a simple, hummable melody.

Hep Alien likes this.
  13. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

marc with a c likes this.
  14. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Disagree...Ogilala has some of the most consistent Corgan songwriting in years, even if it's not an album I'll listen to all the time.

marc with a c likes this.
  15. TheMovieRad

I can see where you’re coming from... but even with my lowered expectations I couldn’t recall a chorus from that album after a few listens. I’m a Corgan fan and the last time I think he struck gold was singing on Loki Cat from Jimmy Chamberlin’s record. Nothing in the last 15 years has matched the likes of Mayonaise, Stand Inside Your Love, or even Zwan in my opinion. Seems like Billy is writing what he thinks people want to hear rather than from the heart. Maybe the WPC album is an exception as it does seem honest.

WeepingWall and Hep Alien like this.
  16. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

Agree... Stand Inside Your Love is a great tune.

17. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

To be honest I figured it’d cost quite a bit more, $130 is really nothing abnormal for a top ticket price level. I was pleasantly surprised and will actually plan on catching a show now.

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, I noted that $130 isn't out of bounds for a show circa 2018 - still think basketball arenas are a tough sell for the Pumpkins.

Been a long time since they've been able to play that kind of venue on their own! :shrug:

19. Stormrider77

I’ve never seen them live before, obviously was a casual fan during the grunge years and then dropped off at some point in the early 00’s. Think the hook here for me is both buying into some of the reunion hype which I guess isn’t that big of a story as I thought after reading posts on this thread and secondly, I’m going for the hype of a “greatest hits” set list. I’m not concerned with deep cuts, I’m all in with the hits for this show. Last album I bought of theirs was Oceania and it was horrible. So the promise of songs only from the prime era sells me on it.

20. scribex6

scribex6 Forum Resident

I've seen the Pumpkins several times since I first saw them in 93 at the Fillmore in SF -- still the best show of their's I've seen -- but I'm not feeling much enthusiasm for this new tour. While $130, unfortunately, is not unusual for an arena show these days I don't see the point of paying twice as much as what I paid only two years ago when both Jimmy Chamberlin and James Iha showed up in a much smaller and more intimate venue for the LA show. Or the 2007 tour when Corgan brought back the Pumpkins name -- again at smaller places like the Fillmore for less money.

Setting aside arguments about the musical talents of Darcy or James, part of the allure of a reunion tour is the mystique of getting the original line-up back together. Considering the original four haven't played together since the Mellon Collie tour, that would have been more exciting to me.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  21. SoundAdvice

What I find odd is announcing 36 arena shows without anyone hearing a note from this full lineup. Then there's waiting 10 days between the hype of the announcement to the actual onsale date. GNR/Soundgarden reunions did some one-off type stuff before doing the full national tour roll out. GNR/SG used openers to help entice younger listeners to the shows. GNR only announced 20 something cities for the US summer 2016 tour. SG announced 4-5 cities for summer 2011, then expanded it to 16 arenas.

The classic lineup did 10 shows together April 1999 when Jimmy came back and before D'Arcy bailed. There's a NYC soundboard on youtube that includes Machina stuff.

22. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

W.H.A.T.? "Pleasantly surprised" that a half-baked reunion is "only" $130??

Nycademon and FourWalledWorld like this.
  23. Stormrider77

Don’t know how many arena shows you attend but $130 for a top price seat is not at all outrageous for any band/performer. If you’re comparing it to the cost of a club gig then sure it’s pricey but that’s apples to oranges. I just dropped almost $250 for tix to see The Misfits reunion, now that’s frigging expensive and it wasn’t even the top tier of pricing.

Adam Bosman, marblesmike and D.B. like this.
  24. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Obviously I can't compare EU to US prices - plus the fact that I'm getting old and would expect at least a dinner with the band for a $130 ticket :biglaugh:-

but "top drawer" over here would be... I don't know. I paid 90€ for Iron Maiden but that's pretty much it. $250 is outrageous.

Guess we have to see how much SP tickets will be in Europe.

25. SoundAdvice

https://i.imgur.com/ksWILHN.jpg

Billy on social media talking about production. Those looking for deep catalog curveballs, long songs, setlist variation, jams, Iha singing or new stuff should take note.

Hep Alien likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.