Smashing Pumpkins' classic line up recording a new album & tour*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

So, at this early juncture we have purple, clear, gold and glow-in-the-dark. I am sure there will be an “indie exclusive” color, and a few more music store and retailer exclusives.

Yes, I saw those. It seems to be the current “thing to do”. Well, it’s all fun.

2. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

I'll take the download please, Bob.

savemenow likes this.
  3. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

This is starting to remind me of the different colour Zeitgeist covers. Glow in the dark sounds interesting but I've made my order for the gold now so I'll stick with it.

4. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

It all seems far to commercial to me.

5. miller_time22

miller_time22 Forum Resident

In the KROQ interview yesterday Billy mentioned mixing a new solo record starting in the next few days. He said the first part would be released digitally the early part of next year with the complete album released physically on vinyl later in 2019.

Hep Alien likes this.
  6. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

At least each one doesn't have a different tracklist this time around.

7. FourWalledWorld

Yes, I was going to mention that. That was very annoying.

Brian Barker likes this.
  8. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

It would have been annoying if the album was worth buying.

mattdm11 likes this.
  9. FourWalledWorld

Well, as it turned out, some of the bonus tracks were of a better quality than those on the album, IMO.

mattdm11, Hep Alien, twicks and 2 others like this.
  10. lordfalconer

lordfalconer Forum Resident

Almost anything would have been better than United States you’d think- and then along came “Death From Above” - Jesus!
    To think it’d get worse for a while; G.L.O.W, Superchrist :hurl:
    I actually enjoyed some of Oceania much to my own surprise- The Celestials was excellent.

11. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

12. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

I know it's important to change things over periods of time, but I wish that either Butch Vig or Alan Moulder and Flood were producing. Rubin has worked with some great bands and has dome some good work but likes everything loud and that's not the best dynamic for the Pumpkins.

13. FourWalledWorld

I enjoyed a lot of Oceania too but yeah, there were quite a few poor (almost generic) tracks around then - Superchrist, FOL, some of the Teargarden stuff.

Hep Alien and lordfalconer like this.
  14. VinylMario

VinylMario The Crow

Agreed SP are a very dynamic band. Super quiet passages and hard hitting crunchy guitars=Smashing Pumpkins

15. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Not a fan of random inserts and glow-in-the-dark vinyl generally sounds terrible - comparable to picture disc sound.

LonesomeDayBlues likes this.
  16. Bloom

Bloom You're embarrassing me in front of the wizards

Counter point- The new songs are good.

miller_time22 likes this.
  17. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Are they? I'm not finding them particularly memorable .

18. Bloom

I love the riff of Solara and the 1979-esque feel of Silvery.

That's the thing about art though, it's subjective. I was just providing another perspective from the guy who was declarative in his disappointment.

19. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Well I'm disappointed so far, solara is ok live, not sure what the point of Silvery is. 1979 had character, this doesn't.

kannibal likes this.
  20. Bloom

And that's a totally valid opinion. But I like them.

21. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

I see that a lot of people like them, which is good. For me, I think Corgan sounded way more energized and inspired with the material from Oceania and Monuments to an Elegy. Not perfect albums by any means, but these new songs have no life for me. Glad people are still enjoying them, though.

22. VinylMario

VinylMario The Crow

I've been listening to the new songs for some time now, and I've gotta say that I do like them a lot. Here's something that was showed to me today that should give some retrospect on the new Pumpkins:

23. FourWalledWorld

Anything interesting/noteworthy come out of it? Zane Lowe can be fairly insufferable as an interviewer/host.

24. FourWalledWorld

I'll answer my own question ;) - SMASHING PUMPKINS Have 'Hundreds Of Songs' In The Vaults Ready For Release

"According to The Pulse Of Radio, SMASHING PUMPKINS frontman Billy Corgan told Beats 1 in a new interview that there are vast amounts of previously unreleased music from the band in the archives that he's excited to finally release thanks to the strength of both vinyl and digital music sales.

Corgan explained: "I'm really excited by the re-rise of the vinyl record shop and the fact that there is there is this beautiful balance now between vinyl releases and streaming services. We're going to just start unloading the archives — and we have archives for decades."

Asked about the extent of the archive, Corgan replied: "You can't even imagine," while drummer Jimmy Chamberlin added that there were "hundreds of songs," all in a finished state.

Corgan remarked: "It's insane how much work there is. We could literally never record another song and have a release every two months for the next 20 years. Easy. There's alternate versions, there's live versions, there's acoustic versions. So we're going to actually kill people with content."

We've been down this road so many times that, again, I'll believe it when I see it.

Hep Alien, Runicen and miller_time22 like this.
  25. Bloom

Im ready to actually die from content.

Runicen and miller_time22 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.