Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream - Best LP version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SergioRZ, Apr 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member Thread Starter

For best sound (mastering and pressing quality) what is the best LP release of Siamese Dream by Smashing Pumpkins? Is the latest reissue (different color gatefold cover from 2011 or 2012) the best way to go?

2. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

The new remaster is good but it is missing a number of samples. 99% of people would probably never notice this though.

It's really a mater of opinion and there is no clear outright best version.

3. countingbackward

countingbackward Forum Resident

As with a lot of recent reissues, the new issue is a bit warmer, richer and more full-sounding than the original issue, and with quieter surfaces. The original has better dynamics - and was a LOT cheaper at the time than the reissue.

I'd just get whichever one is the most accessible and reasonably priced (which at the moment is likely the reissue). Siamese Dream is a well-recorded album - the 2 vinyl versions as well as the hi-rez download available from their website are all excellent sounding.

neu18 likes this.
  4. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

I bought a reissue beginning of last year, so not the new one.
    But the reissue I bought sounds great, has great bass, and sounds better than my original cd.

5. SergioRZ

Bought Siamese and Gish reissues today... they sound great, I've never heard other vinyl editions of these LP's but these new 2011 reissues sound very very very good by any standard, high resolution and clean sound, I was very surprised with the bass and "full" sound, and also because this is achieved without any major sacrifice of the higher frequencies, nice job and you can tell they are proud of it, remaster credits are written with some unusual detail on the cover and matrix...

The packaging is SUPERB, polylined sleeves to hold the records safe along with the printed inner sleeves (with lyrics), gatefold covers made very robust with thick and hard cardboard and great artwork. There's also a code for download of an unissued track...

These are definitely very DELUXE reissues indeed, worth the money IMO. :righton:

Marc Perman and Stefano G. like this.
  6. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Did you get this version?

http://www.soundstagedirect.com/smashing-pumpkins-siamese-dream-180-gram-2-vinyl-records.shtml

7. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Do we know who mastered these and from what source? I'm assuming they are high rez but that is fine as long as they sound good.

8. SergioRZ

9. laynecobain

laynecobain Active Member

I have the re-issu of Gish on vinyl and love it. Siamese Dream's re-isse mini-box on CD--which I rarely listen to.

I bought Oceania on vinyl and to my ears, it's good. But it's been shelved for now.

10. wazza69

wazza69 Forum Resident

How do they compare against the original?

11. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

I have the 2011 reissue and an original US (purple marbled vinyl). Each is 2 LPs. The reissue is on much thicker vinyl.

They sound different, but not in a major way. I do not have a strong preference for one over the other.

funknik likes this.
  12. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

The day after I bought the reissue, I saw an original used for $20 . . . grrr . . . the reissue sounds pretty good, though.

13. Leonard Gomez

Leonard Gomez Well-Known Member

I have an original that sounds quite nice. I've been told that the reissue is good, but I don't like what they did with the album art

14. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

Yeah, I agree . . . I don't understand why they messed with it. That being said, the foil cover is pretty cool looking.

15. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

I have the vinyl reissue but I'm not that crazy about it. I tend to go back to my old non-remastered CD, I like it better than the 24/96 version of the remaster. :shrug:

16. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

the original US vinyl was released in 3 colors, Pink, Purple and Orange (all 3 Marbled)
    CAROL-1740-1-A MASTERDISK

the UK 1st press is black, any difference between US and UK 1st pressings in SOUND QUALITY?

also in 2007 it was reissued in black vinyl

also exist in Brazil and Colombia, but I dont know about the quality of pressings of those countries, maybe not good...

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  17. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

I would like to know of the definitive copy, any ideas?

18. kippenhok

kippenhok Forum Resident

I did a shoot out between a US 1st (peach marble), UK 1st (black) and a 2011 reissue some time over a year ago. All were in mint condition. I ended up selling my re-issue, and keeping the 2 1st's.

The reissue is great; really not far off from the US 1st and, with silent playing surfaces being essential, I'd recommend it.

However, I liked both of the 1st's a little better. The US sounds a bit warmer and smoother then the 2011 re-issue (the re-issue makes up for that with more clarity).

The UK is considerably different: it's got more bass, and it may be a louder cut as well (going from memory on this). Overall it's got that in-your-face sound as opposed to the US's warmth and smoothness. I like it a lot because it just fits with this record to me. That said, with the loud bass and all, some may consider the UK over-the-top.

YMMV.

19. SergioRZ

In my opinion, with a reissue as well made as this, it's by far the best and safest option.

No other version provides a better combination of disc condition (new), pressing quality, mastering quality, price and availability.

It sounds really really great, any preferences for the other pressings are more a question of personal taste and small differences than actual obvious flaws with any of the alternative mastering versions, old or new. ;)

20. kippenhok

kippenhok Forum Resident

I'm a sucker for 1st pressings/original issues.

That said, the re-issue for SD is so good, I fully agree with Sergio's assessment on this title.

vonwegen and SergioRZ like this.
  21. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

Is the reissue missing the sample before "Silverf**k"?

22. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

That's interesting. Always had an UK original but I sold it after I found the peach US pressing in 2009 and a quick shoot out. It's tempting but somewhat impossible to keep multiple copies of each and every album. Especially in the case of albums that you love but barely play. I've kept two copies of "Mellon Collie" though because the original and the reissue have different tracklists and sound different.

LitHum05 likes this.
  23. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

For Gish I have the vinyl reissue as my go to version, but for SD my original US black vinyl edition is my go to, and the one to get. That being said if tracking one down is an issue, the reissue is really well done and sounds good.

24. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

i have the 2000's caroline reissues of gish and siamese dream(both black vinyl)....i love both. so i never got the originals or the 2011 reissues.

i didnt get the mellon collie reissue either because it was on 4lp instead of 3.

25. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

So what is the source on the reissue if these are, from what people here are saying, comparable to originals? Was the original cut from tape? And the reissues - analog or digital?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.