Smokey and the Bandit on blu ray now spinning!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GuildX700, Mar 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wow, blu ray looks great!

Ok, time machine time, I pulled out my Smokey and the Bandit on blu ray movie tonight after watching a car restoring show called Fast and Loud where they did a bit of a twist on the original movie.

Jackie Gleason was in fine form here as well as Paul Williams, and let's not forget sweet Sally Fields! What a corny,fun flick, and we have Jerry Reed and Burt!

Love the black Trans Am for sure. It is just a fast pace, fun filled classic flick from 1977.

All I need to do is figure out exactly what a Diablo sandwich is! Anyone know????
    [​IMG]

I guess they actually did that bridge jump, but had a Trans Am with A souped Chevy engine in to do it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Buford T. Justice: Give me a diablo sandwich, a Dr. Pepper, and make it quick, I'm in a god-damn hurry.

Buford T. Justice: [to his son] There's no way, *no* way that you came from *my* loins. Soon as I get home, first thing I'm gonna do is punch yo mamma in da mouth!

Buford T. Justice: This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags.

Buford T. Justice: What the hell is the world coming to?

Buford T. Justice: What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law.

Sheriff Branford: The fact that you are a sheriff is not germane to the situation.
    Buford T. Justice: The god damn Germans got nothin' to do with it.

Buford T. Justice: And don't go home, and don't go to eat, and don't play with yourself. It wouldn't look nice on my highway.
    Buford T. Justice: Oh, you can THINK about it... but don't do it!

Buford T. Justice: Hey boy, where's Sheriff Branford?
    Sheriff Branford: I AM Sheriff Branford.
    Buford T. Justice: Ooo, Hee-Hee. For some reason or another, you sounded a little taller on radio, hee-hee.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    SRV, Daniel Plainview and 500Homeruns like this.
  2. GuildX700

Chip TRG likes this.
  3. GuildX700

4. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

LOVE this movie. Saw it at the Drive-In as a kid and have never tired of it since. Could never get into PART II, and PART III is
    a bit of a stretch to keep the series going, but Gleason's always fun.

GuildX700 likes this.
  5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

PUT THE EVIDENCE IN THE CAR!

I would do anything to see the lost footage from "Smokey IS The Bandit". Can't we start a letter writing campaign to Universal?

Can you image what a mind-funk this movie could have been? Buford so bored with retirement that he manifests The Bandit in his mind and essentially chases himself? It's like a David Lynch movie. "Lost Highway" but with a giant fish and more car stunts.

Mark Nelson and GuildX700 like this.
  6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Not really a fan of the movie, but I like to watch "Fast 'n Loud!!"

GuildX700 likes this.
  7. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

"Hushpuppies, Daddy"!

GuildX700 likes this.
  8. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

"I lost my hat, Daddy."
    "I HOPE YOUR GODDAMN HEAD WAS IN IT."

9. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Never seen this this but Sally Field sure looks cute in that photo

10. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Watched the last half hour of this last night-cornball!

11. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Love this movie.

Really helped Pontiac sell Tran's Am's also.

12. ceebee

ceebee Active Member

Buddy of mine worked at a movie theater in the late 70s when this and a few other flicks were playing....so I saw Smokey, Midnight Express, Sat Nite Fever, Grease, and others - dozens of times.
    Anytime someone says something like "ah, there's no justice in this world...." - I'll inevitably say with proper emphasis, "Buford T. Justice."

GuildX700 likes this.
  13. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

I grew up with this movie and watched it many times. I just noticed that one line wasn't really translated into
    German. They used a total different line. Actually the German version is a lot funnier.

Buford T. Justice: And don't go home, and don't go to eat, and don't play with yourself. It wouldn't look nice on my highway.
    [begins to turn away, then returns]
    Buford T. Justice: Oh, you can THINK about it... but don't do it!

In the dubbed German version Buford T. Justice says >>>

Buford T. Justice: And nobody is talking, nobody is telling jokes and please...nobody is peeing. It wouldn't look nice on my highway.
    Oh, you can wet your pants...but don't pee on my highway.

14. amoergosum

15. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

My wife and I always quote this film around the house, especially when anyone bring up having a "sixth sense".

I have a 35mm trailer for SMOKEY III that I picked up on eBay, and my heart skipped a beat when the paper NSS band around the outside
    of it bore the label "SMOKEY IS THE". I unspooled a section of it and held it up to the light, and saw images of Jerry Reed in Bandit guise,
    and was properly deflated.

I've long wanted to attend the annual Bandit Run, where fans (and folks in black Trans-Ams) make the run from Atlanta to Texarkana and have
    a party at the destination. I believe one year the Alamo Drafthouse Rolling Roadshow screened the film at the end of one of these runs, at the site
    of the amusement park in the film's finale.

Chip TRG and Daniel Plainview like this.
  16. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

I will forever remember this as the movie I had to sit through before Star Wars at the drive in.

Not that it wasnt enjoyable, but tough for a six year old to stay up for a double feature. I remember being blown away at the beginning but I also recall asking my parents to wake me up when the light sabre fights begin, so I must have been dozing off through it. Thats not how Star Wars was meant to be seen for the first time.

Now Empire... caught that one in my wheelhouse and will never forget the impression I had the first time I saw it.

17. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

I had a 1976 Pontiac Trans Am my Senior year in High School (1977). It was the first of the black and gold special editions. 76 was the 50th anniversary for Pontiac and was the last of the Trans Ams with round headlamps. I had friends tell me, "You have to see this movie, your car is the star!" It was playing at Movie Theater in the small town I lived in when there was only one movie playing at a time. No multi-screen theaters. I was parked in front and thought I had the coolest car ever after that movie. They used a 77 model in the movie and I actually prefer the looks of the bat mobile nose to mine. This photo was taken after picking up my friends to take a beach trip to Clearwater, FL. I'll always remember on that trip how "Hotel California" and "Life In The Fast Lane" we're playing on the radio as new songs.

[​IMG]

Mark Nelson, JAuz, Trapper J and 2 others like this.
  18. amoergosum

19. amoergosum

20. amoergosum

21. amoergosum

22. GuildX700

Nice. I'd love a 1973 455 SD myself.

Thread Status: