Smokey Robinson help

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aashton, Mar 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aashton

aashton Here for the waters... Thread Starter

I am a bit light on Smokey Robinson albums - any recommendations on either vinyl or CD would be gratefully appreciated :D

All the best - Andrew

2. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Smokey Robinson & the Miracles "35th Anniversary Collection"

4CD Motown box...still in print. The best there is, hands down! There's also a 2CD Anthology of this material circa mid 1990s that uses the same mastering if you're looking for a limited dose.

Not sure about something focused on his solo recordings. I have a couple of US Motown LPs that are just dandy. Oughta be cheap, too.

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

My first choice for a hits CD would be either the 35th Anniversary 4-disc Box set or the mid-90s 2-disc Anthology. These have mostly the mono single mixes which tend to be superior to the stereo mixes (more often than not, but not always). If you prefer stereo, the recent "Ooo Baby Baby" Anthology is pretty good.

The Ultimate Collection is a single disc collection with the single mixes, but I have not heard that one.

Going to a Go-Go is probably their best LP. If you could find a mono version on vinyl, I would snap it up. It is available on CD (in stereo) as a twofer with "Away We a Go-Go".

Regards,
    Ken

4. stever

stever Senior Member

I second the 35th Anniversary Collection. I bought it about five weeks ago after recommendations from many folks here. :thumbsup:

5. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

I would go with the 4 CD box. The mid-nineties 2 CD set is out of print and I really like the recent 2 CD Ooh Baby Baby, but would not select it over the 4 CD set. Personally, I also like the single mixes and programming of the Ultimate Collection and play the heck out of it. I don't have as much of a problem with the sound of the Ultimate Collections as many others on the board, but I am not as skilled and discerning, so please discount my opinion on that one. :) Finally, I own and thoroughly enjoy the 2 CD solo Smokey set, but people's opinions on his post-Miracles "quiet storm" material seem to gravitate towards taste.

6. aashton

Thanks everyone - the 35th Anniversary box is being ordered :D and I'll keep an eye out for the mono Going to a Go-Go LP :)

All the best - Andrew

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The boxed set has his essential solo hits.

I like him with the Miracles, but never cared much for his solo work beyond a couple of hits.

8. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Another vote for the box set, although my copy fell apart and some of the later solo stuff, particularly Cruisin' doesn't sound great (tape-wise, that is).

9. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Wise decision on the box, Andrew. You will find that, although you'll enjoy all the hits you're familiar with, the real revelations are to be found on Disc 1--the earliest material, back when the group(and Motown)had only a handful of hits under their belt, and many more that didn't sell well, though certainly merited more attention. Begins with pre-Motown sides for End and Chess and ends with "A Love That Can Never Be"--a lost masterpiece(know what we need: a 2-CD set covering these early years, with ALL the sides, including tracks included on GREATEST HITS FROM THE BEGINNING).

And if you do get into vinyl and aren't into the 45's, try, as Ken suggested, GOING TO A GO-GO. In fact, any clean mono Lp from the '60s, not least the aforementioned 2-LP FROM THE BEGINNING, which has one of the most arrogant cover shots in history(as anybody who has a copy will understand:D ).

ED:cool:

10. aashton

Ed, I listen to vinyl and silver discs in about equal measure - there is a big record fair in London at the weekend so I will probably take the opportunity to see if there is any mono vinyl up for grabs :)

All the best - Andrew

11. Reader

Reader Senior Member

You'll enjoy the 4 cd box for sure but may still want to pick up The Ultimate Collection. It has the mono single mixes and I like the hit songs all one after the other. I want to get the new Stereo 2 CD set myself.

12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The boxed set also has the mono single mixes.

13. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

...and isn't maximized like the Ultimate Collection. Maximization + vintage material that was already compressed = headache. For me, anyway. :(

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Budget wise the 2 Cee Dee Anthology fills the bill...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.