Snowpiercer

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Claus, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claus

Claus Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Why has this not been released on DVD/BR yet?? :confused:

3. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

4. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I meant a R1 release. :)

5. michaelscrutchin

michaelscrutchin Forum Resident

It's getting a limited theatrical release in the U.S. starting June 27. It'll be the director's cut and not the Weinstein cut. I can't wait. After Memories of Murder, The Host, and Mother, Bong Joon-Ho is one of my favorite filmmakers currently making movies.

6. amoergosum

I was aware of that. As far as I know there's no release date for other Blu-ray editions yet.

7. amoergosum

I watched it and have to disagree. The premise of Snowpiercer is ridiculous already in my opinion.
    I give it a rating of 5/10.

Scott222C and AZRunner like this.
  8. It also is very similar (or I should say the French graphic novel is) to Christopher Priest's The inverted World published back in 1973 or so.

9. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Wow. Run to the cinema and see this if you are a science fiction fan, or just a great movie fan. I was thoroughly entertained for all 2 hours and five minutes of the train ride. Okay, I didn't agonize over every little detail, but just sat back and enjoyed the ride. Far more dark and cohesive as a dystopian nightmare than any such movie in quite a while. One of the best movies I've seen this year. Violence is not excessive but fairly graphic and not whitewashed. Constant suspense but not propelled forward by excessive action. Train kept a rollin' all night long . . . and it was a very, very good night.

10. I have to wonder what the Weinstein's are thinking not giving a film like this a more widespread release as counterprogramming to the Transformers and other stuff it there right now. I would love to go see this as there isn't anything of interest playing at the moment that I haven' t already seen.

11. Sounds kind of like a cross between The Road and Supertrain.

12. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

I just saw it today, I had high hopes but was disappointed. A ridiculous story that made very little attempt to maintain plausibility. Worse yet, it was a bad action movie too. The ending was insulting.

amoergosum likes this.
  13. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

One of the better action films I've seen in a long time - Metropolis meets Road Warrior. The multinational cast and crew gave it a great quirkiness you don't see often with a decent budget. And the cast appeared to have fun - always a plus in my book.

14. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

I was delighted with certain aspects of this film, most notably the middle portion, and the idea of breaking the story down into cars. However, I feel like it ultimately suffers from a lackluster ending and a costume design that instantly makes it feel like a big-budget 90s European movie, as opposed to a document depicting the last era to enjoy civilization before everything turned sour. Ironically, it was also a film that, in my opinion, would've been better if it had been made in the 90s. The CGI was sort of blatant and I couldn't help but feel that a more life-like landscape would've made the film truly stand out. Instead, it will join so many other contemporary films as a piece of art that was worth talking about for a few months before it disappeared in time.

15. That's a discussion best over drinks...yeesh...

16. Love the guy but just like his other Korean contemporaries taking a stab at Western cinema I think it's his weakest effort so far, but I understand the handicap. I'll stick with his Korean flicks for now.

17. My friend asked how people who grew up in the train had different accents. I said it was either plausibility within the story or pandering to as many different markets as possible. But not both. (that and the director probably had no idea anyway.)

18. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

Warning: spoilers. The accents bothered me. Also, how did the little boy get a perfectly fit mini snowsuit at the end? Why were they repulsed by the protein bars being made of insects when they had started out eating humans? The story of how people got on the train in the first place needed more explanation. How did the train stay on track? Every exterior scene show a rickety train barely hanging on, for 18 years of continuous movement? C'mon! I could go on and on...

CoachD, slipkid and thebunk like this.
  19. Saw it today. Pretty darn entertaining and a terrific little science fiction allegory for our world...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
    johnnypaddock likes this.
  20. Ask the producer(s)... :whistle:

21. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

This is a terrific film, easily the best in the scifi-ish genre of the year. Starting out, I thought the basic premise was a bit far fetched and so decided just to accept it and see where it went. Later in the film, the premise was given more credibility but by that time I was already caught up in the narrative. Thumbs up!

kevintomb likes this.
  22. I'm with you. I thought Tilda was hilarious though. And I hope Ed Harris was only in it to make money for Appaloosa sequels.

*SPOILERS**********

The sophisticated villain eating good food bit is played out.

23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Sure, but it's also realistic. It's all about the ever growing disparity between the haves and the have nots - the top 1% vs the rest. You don't expect the top 1% to be living off protein bars do you?

kevintomb and wayneklein like this.
  24. Spoilers:
    My daughter thought the insects were cockroaches hence their repulsion. Yes, Evans character had done some gruesome things but he had changed. As far as the rest...well it's been on a track for 18 years with wear and tear. Eventually like the train everything would break down...you have to just accept it.

I mean North by Northwest is considered a classic and yet...why does the killer try and shoot Cary Grant's character from a crop duster? Because it looked cool.

Why do the future people in The Time Machine (the original film) look so clean all the time? Does someone do their laundry?

Who cuts their hair as it looks perfectly cut?

We can nitpick every film and TV show out there... You either suspend your disbelief or not.
    As I stated earlier this has a very similar premise to Christopher Priest's The World Inside in general terms. I agree if you get caught in the narrative you can forgive inconsistency and a lack of "reality" in a film.

Why wouldn't he? He's "God".

End of Spoilers:

The film is entertaining, deals with social issues as an allegory for society and isn't completely stupid and has elements of satire.

What's not to like?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  25. The passive aggressive, non nonchalant conversation over dinner is still stale at this point.

p.s.
    I'd rather have a bug protein bar than human flesh...I think :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.