Snowpiercer

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Claus, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spudco

spudco Well-Known Member

I must expand on my earlier comments:

As I previously stated, my wife and I spent an evening watching the film version of the graphic novel “Snowpiercer". I was excited since it had received such rave reviews by critics and audiences.

I will now go on record strongly advising you to avoid this crap fest.

I had not read the graphic novel - I don’t really do comic books - but I was open to a great sci-fi experiences. Was I ever mistakes. The time I lost watching this adolescent societal metaphor would have been better spent manning the info table a bake sale for the Sierra Club while slipping folks copies of Derrick Jensen books. In other words, a complete waste of time.

I can only express dismay that our society has become so dominated by blockheads that this film is considered laudable. Are we only able to understand our world and the consequences of our actions though such blunt, relentless, contrived allegory? The conceit had run it's course in the first 10 minutes. The entire movie was simply brutal punishment for anyone with a modicum of intellect. The characters were trite. The conflicts were bland and predictable. The resolution was sentimental and childish. I rarely feel that a film is an entire waste of life, but this one makes the grade. Yet another reason to join your local chapter of The Society of Poets and Artists Advocating Immediate Nuclear Holocaust.

PS - Chemtrails won’t kill the world and you should spend reading time with real books, not graphic novels.

PSS - I did read a graphic novel while I was in grade school - The Classics Illustrated version of Homer's "Iliad".

AZRunner and Mark Nelson like this.
  2. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Good grief...it was just a popcorn movie. Lighten up.

townsend likes this.
  3. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

That's just it though, it was presented as something more. I get angrier about having wasted my time and money on this the more I think about it.

4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I watched it again and thought it was every bit as good as the first time. It deserves its accolades.

kevintomb and wayneklein like this.
  5. I saw this recently and thought it was an odd crossing of Brazil, Cube and Polar Express. I found it enjoyable and it held my interest thoughout.

6. Sorry I'm a block headed idiot as I enjoyed the film. Maybe spending less time insulting the intelligence for those who enjoyed the film and focusing more on why it just wasn't your cup of tea next time with an actual dissection of what's wrong with the film might be in order.

I will go on record that I'm happy I didn't read your review before viewing it myself.

By the way, my IQ is 165 although that still doesn't prevent me from joining the Blockheads of America Society. I'll be a proud card holding member in the meantime but I also liked the blunt, "Brazil" so clearly I don't have the modicum of intellect necessary to enjoy other films.

Jeez.....

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
    johnnypaddock, kevintomb and zobalob like this.
  7. I really enjoyed this movie.
    Sure the plot's got holes you could drive a truck through but when a movie has ideas, style and characters this good it's very easy to suspend disbelief and just go along for a wild ride.
    Of course opinions are subjective.
    Have a great ride :)

wayneklein likes this.
  8. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Terrific film. Highly recommended if you take it an an allegory. In the running with Edge of Tomorrow as best science-fiction film of the year for me, though I'd say this one leans a little more on the fantasy side.

wayneklein likes this.
  9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Will get the blu ray steelbook.
    Hate double dipping..ie; theater view/physical version.

10. I agree. I think people went into it expecting a rational, science fiction film. It has more in common with other allegorical films that use fantasy as a background d to tell their story.

11. DreadPikathulhu

There are a lot of one-star reviews from people who can't seem to grasp that the movie isn't meant to be taken literally. One wonders what kind of ratings they give the latest Transformers or Marvel movie.

kevintomb and wayneklein like this.
  12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I had only learned of the film through a movie reviewer for whom I great respect and often covers under-the-radar films. His review didn't give away any spoilers, but did highly praise it in a number of areas and so I went into it not knowing what to expect. And I loved it . It was a refreshing change from the brainless Transformer pap. At that time (months ago), there was a general buzz about the movie and its underdog status, so I'm little surprised and disappointed to hear that there are 'lots of 1 star reviews' now.

DreadPikathulhu likes this.
  13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

did they release this in the US yet, and is it the same as the Asian version?...

14. Michael

it because ppl just can't enjoy much these days without bitching about something...it's friggin scary...never have I seen such blatant negativity abound!
    LOL! Transformers gets slaughtered around here...it's comical!

15. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, Transformers is comically bad.

16. Michael

I loved all of them....I especially enjoyed the last one with Mark Wahlberg!

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I agree. It's not a bad movie but I really don't understand the overwhelming praise for it. The over the top/super-obvious social commentary was the worst part - the movie beats us over the head with its "message".

As I said in my review, if Spielberg or Bay made a movie with such obvious/heavy-handed imagery and commentary, they'd be excoriated for it. This movie gives us the most basic, simplistic commentary and gets rave reviews! :confused:

18. DreadPikathulhu

I thought it was a wall-done parable set it an interesting universe. I don't think either Bay or Spielberg have it in them to make a film like this. There weren't enough explosions for a Bay film, and not enough cute kids to be a Spielberg film.

Deesky likes this.
  19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

There were explosions, and there were cute kids. I'm not saying that a Bay version or a Spielberg version of this film would be identical, but I don't think the actual movie includes greater depth than either would bring to the table.

When I listened to the Blu-ray's commentaries, the critics involved agreed it lacked subtext but they thought that was a good thing, which I found perplexing. Since when was an obvious, one-dimensional message without subtlety something to be praised? :confused:

20. The director made a film that is upfront about what it is--an allegory just as "Brazil" was an allergory that lacked subtext. There's nothing wrong with NOT having subtext and, in some respects, it can free a filmmaker to be more direct and explicit about what they want to address.

It's certainly a different approach which is why many people are put off by the film. It's directness works for the film in my opinion. It certainly has its flaws but, on the whole, the director is quite successful at achieving his goals.

Having subtext doesn't necessarily guarantee it will be richer, more fulfilling film experience. There are plenty of films that are duds that have plenty of subext yet they are still lousy films. It's the combination of intent, talent and execution that ultimately adds up to a solid entertaining experience.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  21. TooLoudASolitude

TooLoudASolitude Forum Resident

Just saw this last night-I thought it was great.

22. Michael

just released here in the US on DVD...finally.

23. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I thought it was pretty cool. Tilda Swinton was great.

24. greenhorn

greenhorn Forum Resident

I watched about 3/4 of it then bailed. Went to bed, rather a good night sleep then spend any more time on it. Wife filled me in on the last bit. Ummm not bad, not good, not good enough for me to spend some of my free time watching really.

25. Michael

I'm too curious... I have to finish every movie I start...whether it at one sitting or the next day...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.