So did anybody buy the Get Smart Season 1 DVD?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Joel1963, Aug 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member Thread Starter

I did yesterday as soon as my work day was over, for $25. This, of course, is the non-Time-Life version without most of the extras. However, Barbara Feldon introduces each episode, but only if you press "choose episode" as opposed to "play all." And there are still two commentary tracks, one by Mel Brooks and Buck Henry on the pilot and Barbara Feldon on another episode. Picture quality is great, and the episodes are cracking me up. Funny, watching now, I'm surprised at some of the sexual innuendo. In one scene, from the first color episode, a princess is begging Maxwell Smart to take her back to his apartment. He wants to take her to historic sites. A jealous 99 is steaming.

Max: My apartment is not very historic.
    Princess: We could make history.

In another episode involving native Americans threatening war on the U.S., the chief's daughter, although she knows Max is an imposter, begs to take him back to her tent for a half-hour and then settles for 15 minutes. At that point, 99, again steaming, comes to the rescue.

Max, to 99: Can't you come back in 15 minutes?

Reading the liners, it seems that the pilot was made when it was fairly clear NBC would be accepting the show. In that case, it surprises me that it would be shot in black and white, although from the different sets, I could see it was shot an appreciable amount of time before the first color episode. I had always thought the pilot was shot for ABC's consideration, which would make the lack of color more understandable. At least the Monkees pilot was shot in color, also in '65.

2. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

CBS was the network that didn't broadcast in color....until January 1966.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I got the TL complete box...it is unbelievably cool...

highly recommended.

4. xman

xman Active Member

Can you still get the boxed set? If so, how much?

5. Michael

6. xman

xman Active Member

Thanks for the link.

7. Michael

your welcome.:)

don't forget to check TL coupons...

8. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

I Got the Australian version! it has a bonus disc with extras on it doesn't your version?

9. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Love that episode!

10. LaserKen

LaserKen Senior Member

FYI, this set is $16.99 at Target through Saturday. A great deal and a very nice product.

11. CletusVanDamme

CletusVanDamme Forum Resident

:thumbsup: I waited a long time for this to come out on DVD, and the TL set was/is well worth the wait. Can't recommend it highly enough. :righton:

12. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

I bought season one and watched 6 episodes in one sitting. Hilarious.
    What's staggering to ne are the TV shows and actors within that nail the characters from the pilot episode and they remain that exact character throught the entire run of the show!
    From the pilot episode fo Get Smart, Max immediately had all the same dumb catch phrases, same dumb jokes, and beat them into the ground. Same with the cast of Green Acres. The writing, directing, acting are all top knotch so much that you believe these characters from minute one and never really seem them grow into their characters... they are their characters the minute they hit the screen. Unbelieveable.
    Love 60's sitcoms!!!

13. Michael

one of my favorites as a kid!

14. Michael

is the packaging cool or what?

15. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Me too!!! :edthumbs:

16. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I haven't bought the set yet, but here it is 40 years later and I'm still saying "Sorry about that", "...and loving it" and "Missed it by that much" (not to mention the occasional "The Craw?") in casual conversation. Now that's a legacy! :thumbsup:

17. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

:righton:

18. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

:agree:

19. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

What kind of goodies were on the time-life set that aren't on the new set?

I've been anxiously awaiting this show's arrival on dvd for years (literally), but couldn't justify buying the whole set on timelife. It's been decades since I've seen an episode, and I'm just not sure whether it will be as good as I remember (plus I rarely/never buy TV shows on dvd). The first two discs ought to be in my mailbox today, but I'm curious what else is on the delux-o early set. Did it come with a cone of silence or anything? :)

20. Joel1963

I've been voraciously watching Season 1 this week, and I never laughed harder at the show than I am now.

21. Michael

the writing was so good it holds up incredibly well after all these years!

22. Joel1963

One tour de force scene which really shows Don Adams' comedic talent takes place in the episode where the chief is kidnapped and is about to undergo surgery to transform him into a KAOS man. Max's coordination of the rescue mission with six different phones (shoe, tie, belt, etc.) is great!

23. Ready Steady Go

Ready Steady Go Active Member

Rented one of the discs over the weekend and was in hysterics. Great show that still holds up well today. Can't wait for some Hymie the Robot episodes. Did he come on in Season 2?

A brief homage to Barbara Feldon (Agent 99) from the book 'TV Sirens':
    "...Feldon subverted masculine hierarchies with a slyly feminine force. Her Agent 99 was neither drawn as a character nor given the punch lines--she'd lean against a desk while Don Adams did his shtick. But would you believe Feldon was a delicious comedienne? The more dialogue Adams had, the more Feldon animated different parts of her body: bobbing her head, rolling her eyes, wetting her lips. She did more silent comedy than anybody since Mabel Normand."

24. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

According to wouldyoubelieve.com Hymie first appeared towards the end of Season 1 and made 5 further appearances during seasons 1 to 4.

25. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Just packaging, I think. The T/L set comes packaged in a phonebooth box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.