So I am going to play every 45 in my collection.......(Part 3!!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Juggsnelson, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member Thread Starter

The Jackson's will be nicely represented! A lot of Joe Jackson too! (The new wave guy not the angry patriarch dude)

lightbulb and Splungeworthy like this.
  2. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I expected nothing less.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  3. Juggsnelson

Hipsway-Long White Car PROMO
    This track hit #55 in the UK in 1986. Boy this should have charted higher. I loved this song the first-time I heard it. A bit melancholy but the sadness is wrapped in such a gorgeous melody that you still feel uplifted after hearing it. I now need to go and find some Hipsway LP's immediately!
    [​IMG]

Surly and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  4. Juggsnelson

The Hives-Walk Idiot Walk/Genepool Convulsions
    WHITE VINYL
    I admit I liked the garage rock redux that spawned in the early 2000's and these guys were at the forefront. This one had a neat video involving the title being spelled out in a crossword. They always had a cool, uniform look to them a bit reminiscent of British Invasion bands. This track is a nice slab of fun rock!
    [​IMG]

5. Juggsnelson

Rodger Hodgson-Had a Dream ( Sleeping with the Enemy)/Extended Version
    This track from the former Supertramp co-leader hit #48 in the USA in 1984. The intro piano is certainly immediately reminiscent of Supertramp... And then his voice kicks in and this becomes an A Grade Supertramp tune!! I love Supertramp so there was no way I wasnt going to love this song the first time I heard it. Great vocal melody, typically fine wordplay, and some piano playing add up to a real treat. The LP is a fine listen as well.
    [​IMG]

6. Juggsnelson

Hole-Malibu/Drag (non-LP)
    UK ISSUE
    This single from 1998 was Co-Written with Billy Corgan and earned a Grammy nomination. A cleaner, polished sound emerged on the Celebrity Skin album but I found it just as enjoyable as Live Through This. Courtney has a voice that rises above its limitations and she even comes across as sweet sounding on parts of this track.
    [​IMG]

Mr Bass, lpfreak1170, Surly and 2 others like this.
  7. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

@Juggsnelson it's really fun to go through these singles and look them up on YT to have a listen. Some good, some bad, some fantastic but just a great mix of tunes here.

team2 and Juggsnelson like this.
  8. Juggsnelson

Thanks! Glad to see you listening along with me! By now you probably know my tastes and can guess which songs I love that you will not! But you never know with music! A recent example are those Hipsway singles I played. I had kind of forgotten how much I enjoyed them!!! Sad to say I have discovered quite a few new tunes right in my own home! Then again, my purpose was to really dig in and give every record a solid, undisturbed listen. Thanks for all of your input!!:righton:

Surly and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Well, I still can't figure out your musical tastes, and that's a good thing. Of course, your preferences are informed by your age bracket, as you seem to be an 80s child.

I also have a very diverse taste in music, and that drives people crazy because they like to put everyone in a box. People don't like it when they can't figure you out. Makes them uncomfortable.

Juggsnelson and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  10. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Same here. Another reason I love this thread: the variance. Listened to Hipsway and Joe Hinton back to back, no problem - mix in some Herd and it flowed very well.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  11. Juggsnelson

Definitely an 80's kid...born in January of '75. I just don't get people who completely block out certain genres of music. Good music is good music. Lately I have been delving into jazz after not really "getting it" for years. Just what I needed....a whole new (expensive) genre to enjoy. I've loved music since I was a kid spinning my folks records in my Fisher Price record player. Here's a pic that basically explains it all:
    [​IMG]
    Who wants those toys and books when they are 45's to play?

12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I don't get it, either. There are a lot of those people on this forum. I just do not have the capacity to understand their mindset.

Even with genres of music I say I don't like, there are still songs from those genres I do like very much. I seriously think there is something fundamentally wrong with people who can reject an entire genre of music. What do they do when they encounter music that defies categorization?

Juggsnelson likes this.
  13. Juggsnelson

That run of tunes makes for one eclectic mix tape!

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  14. aseriesofsneaks

aseriesofsneaks Forum Resident

Interesting bit of trivia: Courtney once said that she and Billy had originally written "Malibu" for Stevie Nicks, but she decided to keep it for herself.

I really enjoy the b-side "Drag". It's less polished than that material on Celebrity Skin, but the ramshackle vibe suits the band and Courtney in particular. On the CD single, there's also another b-side, a great cover of "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue".

Juggsnelson likes this.
  15. Juggsnelson

That is a great Dylan cover! I knew it was a Celebrity Skin B-Side and was disappointed when I saw it was only on the CD Single and not the 45. But like you said, "Drag" is also a very good tune!

aseriesofsneaks likes this.
  16. Juggsnelson

Amy Holland-How Do I Survive/Don't Kid Yourself
    Thisctrack penned by Paul Bliss hit :22 in the USA in 1980. This track along with her debut LP were produced by her husband Michael McDonald. McDonald also brings backup and plays electric piano on This track. The success of This single helped Amy earn a Grammy nomination for Best New Artist. The song is a funky pop number not unlike the Doobie's music of the same time. McDonald's presence is not overbearing but certainly noticeable. A quality number but not something I come back to often.
    [​IMG]

17. Juggsnelson

Jools Holland and His Millionaires-Humble Boogie/That Don't Matter to Me
    UK ISSUE
    This 1981 single from the former Squeeze keyboardist and TV host failed to chart. Co-Written by bass player for hire Pino Palladino, This song obviously features an intricate groovy bass line to compliment Jools' piano. A fun instrumental that doesn't lack for chops!
    [​IMG]

18. Juggsnelson

Jennifer Holliday-And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going/Fake Your Way to the Top
    This track from the musical Dreamgirls hit #22 in the USA and #32 in the UK in 1982. Jennifer not only won a Tony for her performance but a Grammy Award as well. Jennifer sure belts this one out! This must have been a showstopping moment in the play....it certainly is a powerhouse showcase number.
    [​IMG]

Surly, Bob J and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  19. Juggsnelson

The Hollies-Bus Stop/Don't Run and Hide
    This track penned by 10CC's Graham Gouldman hit #5 in both the USA and UK in 1966. The opening guitar riff just sucks you right in. Nifty solo too. I love how the lyrics tell a full fledged story in a couple of minutes.
    [​IMG]

team2, Surly, Beattles and 8 others like this.
  20. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Courtney's rep preceded her and I never had the slightest interest in the 90s to hear her. I was surprised some years ago in the Oughts when I actually heard Celebrity Skin and Live Through This. They were excellent straight forward hard rock. Her singing is fine for the style.

aseriesofsneaks and Juggsnelson like this.
  21. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

I recently bought the cd of Eye of the Storm, this song and In Jeopardy are fantastic, great album.

team2, c-eling and Juggsnelson like this.
  22. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I have the UK EMI's except for Pay You Back With Interest obviously. The US sonics are not at all bad if you get a vinyl copy. Liberty / Imperial had about a 60/40 split for vinyl over styrene in my experience.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  23. Juggsnelson

The Hollies-Stop Stop Stop/It's You
    This track hit #7 in the USA and #2 in the UK in 1966. One of my Mom's favorites, I heard this song played around our house hundreds of times growing up. Love that Banjo!! Great vocal harmonies as usual of course. Talk about "give me time to breathe".....I barely sat down before I had to get up because the song is just a hair over 2 minutes!!
    [​IMG]

24. Juggsnelson

A bit of a lost classic for sure!! I really like his sound...instantly recognizable.

team2 likes this.
  25. Juggsnelson

I bet those sound great! My "Bus Stop" is vinyl but most of my other early Hollies 45's are styrene unfortunately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.