So I am going to play every 45 in my collection.......(Part 3!!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Juggsnelson, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

In the US, The Human League was on the A&M label.

Casablanca was only distributed for a short time by WEA in the early 70s. Then they switched distribution to Polygram. They were never under control of Clive Davis, nor were they ever on any CBS label or on Arista.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  2. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

And I stand corrected as they were on A&M indeed. Since I thought they were on Arista, that was where I tied Clive to the artists in general.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  3. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I would have turned into a huge mess had I hung out with the "cool kids"...I could have easily been pulled into any number of bad things, so it was a blessing in disguise at the time that I was pretty much a loner in school. But I was such a goof off at my fast food job, I was liked there and fit it fine. We would have "disco" parties after closing and I would bring my stereo down, along with my stacks of Donna Summer and everything else that was red hot in 1977-78 and have a blast. There I got the attention of the two or three girls everyone else wanted! What a fun summer.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  4. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member Thread Starter

Those were the days right? I worked at Burger King in high school. The managers were our friends and were only in their early twenties themselves. Our parking lot was massive and well hidden from the road So that meant cars blasting music, lots of booze, high chairs used to start bonfires, early closings, etc...

bvb1123 likes this.
  5. Grant

I don't understand how Clive Davis even entered a discussion about the band.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  6. Juggsnelson

I just think the presumed Arista involvement.
    In reading about the band, they Did have quite a few tiffs with their label regarding choice of single, band members, length of recording time etc...Things worked out well for them....Oakey hated the idea of DYWM as a single and had it relegated to being the last track on Dare! It was also the label who pushed the Jam/Lewis collaboration. Two fortunate decisions!

Surly and Grant like this.
  7. Grant

Looks like Oakey would have sabotaged his own band had the label left him to his own judgement. But, who knows? After the two or three singles from the "Crash" album, they disappeared from the U.S. charts.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  8. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

Yes, "Human" was their last real hit in the US, where it hit #1. Follow up single "I Need Your Loving" only inched up to #44. Two more Top 40 appearances after that: "Heart Like A Wheel" (#32, 1990) and their almost-comeback, "Tell Me When" (#31 Pop, 1995)

Juggsnelson likes this.
  9. Juggsnelson

Humble Pie- Black Coffee/Say No More
    This single from 1973 failed to chart on either side of the Atlantic. Steve Marriot is an all time fave of mine....killer vocals and a fine guitar player to boot. The Pie do a nice job on this Ike and Tina tune. Clem Clempson was a fine replacement for Frampton and he added a harder edge to the band. Marriot sings his butt off here, augmented by some soulful backing vox.
    [​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  10. Juggsnelson

Engelbert Humperdink- Release Me/Ten Guitars
    This smash cover hit #4 in the USA and #1 in the UK in 1967. My wife's Grandmother loved him. Not exactly the most ringing endorsement. It sounds good and Engelbert can croon with the best of them. I certainly dont change the station if it comes on....but I don't usually go out of my way to play it either.
    [​IMG]

Mylene and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  11. Juggsnelson

Engelbert Humperdink- A Man Without Love/Les Bicyclettes de Belsize
    A Parrot Great Hits release, A Man Without Love topped out at #19 in the USA but got to #2 in the UK in 1968. Some good stuff here, especially the fine acoustic guitar. Excellent chorus utilizes Engelbert's voice to full impact. No such thing as a guilty pleasure in my book but if you believe in such things, this would qualify for me.
    [​IMG]

12. Juggsnelson

Ian Hunter-All of the Good Ones Are Taken
    PROMO
    From the same titled album from 1983. Produced by Max Norman of Ozzy game. Interesting to note that both a "fast" version and a "slow" version bookend the LP tracklisting. This 45 does not specify, but it is in fact the "fast" version. I am a huge fan and I have always liked this song. Good choice for a single. A bit Graham Parker-esque. Ian is in fine voice and the production is appropriately pop driven. Some nice sax rounds out a great track.
    [​IMG]

Mylene, Bobby Buckshot and Surly like this.
  13. Surly

This one got a fair amount of airplay on MTV...

Juggsnelson likes this.
  14. Juggsnelson

Ivory Joe Hunter-Heartbreak and Misery
    PROMO
    The R&B legends last single release from 1971. A fine record. Biting lead guitar that fits the title perfectly.
    [​IMG]

15. Juggsnelson

Can't remember the video at all! This could have been a decent sized hit for Ian for sure.

16. Juggsnelson

Hurricane-I'm on to You/Baby Snakes
    This tune charted at #33 in the USA in 1988. The band was made up of the younger brothers of Quiet Riot members Carlos Cavazo and Rudy Sarzo, and it also featured current Foreigner vocalist Kelly Hansen. This track and its corresponding album are both examples of solid late 80's Rock, although there are stronger tracks on the album than this one. Mike Clink and Bob Ezrin get production credits....no slouches there!
    [​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  17. Surly

I should have included this in my post!

Juggsnelson likes this.
  18. Juggsnelson

I got a few good laughs at that! A well done clip! Very entertaining. The scene with Ian playing his double neck while surrounded by scantily clad women was something right out of Kiss Exposed.

Surly likes this.
  19. Juggsnelson

Unfortunately my father passed away unexpectedly a few weeks ago. He taught me about life and just as importantly, about music. I am slowly going through his immense record collection. He had great taste and we often shopped for records together.....sometimes fighting over a rare David Ruffin promo or a Jay and the Techniques album. Great memories. Great guy. I'll be back on here this weekend and look forward to spinning a few of Dad's 45's along the way.

Dan Steely and Grant like this.
  20. lpfreak1170

lpfreak1170 Senior Member

Very sorry to hear it. I know listening to those records will bring back lots of great memories. May he RIP.

Grant and Juggsnelson like this.
  21. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

Condolences to you, Juggs.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  22. Juggsnelson

Thanks guys.

23. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Sorry to hear this. My condolences as well.

Juggsnelson and Grant like this.
  24. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I am sorry to hear of your loss, Juggs. Please accept my condolences. :sigh:

Juggsnelson and Grant like this.
  25. Grant

Hang in there, Juggs. At least you have the music that will bind you two.

Juggsnelson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.