So I am going to play every 45 in my collection.......(Part 3!!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Juggsnelson, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member Thread Starter

Billy also does his own version of (Dont You) Forget About Me. It was on his Greatest Hits Album from 2001. it sounds as you would expect.
    I never knew that about different city shout outs towards the end of Hot in the City!

Surly likes this.
  2. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Never heard it. And I'd honestly expect excellence. Thinking about that song, I'd say Billy's voice & vocal style is tailor made for it. Of course, I could be wrong...

Juggsnelson likes this.
  3. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

The same thing was done for We Built This City when the DJ does his rap in the middle of the song. I often heard Honolulu inserted.

Lol. I kept thinking "Wait a minute, didn't Nick Gilder do Hot In The City?" Then I remembered it was Hot Child In The City. Memories, fading from the corners of my mind...

Surly and Juggsnelson like this.
  4. Juggsnelson

I wasn't knocking it! Sounding like Billy Idol is a compliment! I would have preferred for it to be a bit more upbeat but its still very good.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  5. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

I believe the song was originally offered to Bryan Ferry first. Not sure that would have been the right fit.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  6. Juggsnelson

Billy Idol-Flesh For Fantasy/The Dead Next Door
    [​IMG]
    The third single from the Rebel Yell album, this hit #29 USA and #54 UK in 1984. This has a nice groove but it is probably my least favorite track from the album. I think that speaks more to how great the LP is though. Plenty of bottom end on the 45 here. You can feel the intro right in your chest. The track shifts tempos here and there and seems a bit scattered to me....almost like a few demos thrown together.
    The B-Side, The Dead Next Door, is one of my favorite tracks from the album. But it is STRANGE! Maybe even poor! But I love it! It's like nothing Billy did before or since that's for sure! It really grows on you over time. It plays much better as part of the album as opposed to a stand alone track.

Mr Bass, Surly, Grant and 2 others like this.
  7. Juggsnelson

Billy Idol-To Be a Lover/All Summer Single
    UK Issue
    [​IMG]
    The lead single from Whiplash Smile, this William Bell cover (who saw that coming?) hit #6 USA and #22 UK in 1986. Right off the bat, this track signifies a more programmed approach...drum machines and multiple synths. Throw in some gospel background vocals and you have a fine track. It always sounded a bit out of tune to me. A bit of a forgotten top ten hit...I rarely hear it compared to Billy's earlier, and lower charting, singles.

team2, Surly, Grant and 2 others like this.
  8. Juggsnelson

Billy Idol-Don't Need a Gun/Fatal Charm
    [​IMG]
    This single reached #37 USA and #26 UK in 1987. This is another song I rarely hear but I really like it. The bridge, full of guitar, panning drum effects, and Billy spitting out lyrics rapid fire is just awesome. I don't know what he actually says..."Wop Bop a Lou Bop" something or other.....but I love it. One day I will look up the lyric but I doubt it will be as fun as whatever junk I have been singing for 30 years! Cool breakdown in the middle too with some neat guitar...a very Rebel-like moment. I dig the "Whiplash Smile" name check in the lyric too.

Surly, Bobby Buckshot and ascot like this.
  9. Juggsnelson

Billy Idol-Sweet Sixteen/Beyond Belief
    [​IMG]
    This hit #20 USA and #17 UK in 1987. A fairly straight forward acoustic love song.....Billy really was all over the map musically and in very strong stead at each and every turn. A welcome surprise here. Interesting that Steve Stevens plays on this LP but takes a backseat both visually and in the songwriting department. Keith Forsey as usual produces an exquisite track and I'm sure he helped focus and refine these tracks to great benefit.

team2, Mr Bass, Surly and 3 others like this.
  10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I love the song, and that hypnotic groove is what instantly hooked me into it. That deep bass is great, isn't it? You should hear it on the AF CD!

I related my opinion of this one somewhere on this forum. I don't know, maybe it was on this thread. I had the same reaction as you regarding the choice of song. I wonder how many of his fans knew it was a Stax Records original.

I thought of this track as kind of weak, and a bit creepy, an adult man singing about his love for a sixteen-year-old.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  11. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

I always really liked this song and thought it should have performed better on the charts. I used to have a cassette maxi single of this one, I believe.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  12. Juggsnelson

Yeah those songs about lusting after 16 year olds are pretty creepy...and there are a lot of them!
    I really need to get a copy of the AF Rebel Yell now!!

13. Juggsnelson

Billy Idol-Mony Mony (live)/Shakin' All Over (live)
    [​IMG]
    This live cover hit #1 USA and #7 UK in 1987. This song was everywhere! I was a youngster and I loved it! Were purists horrified? I can remember this being played at a Middle School dance and after every verse a "get laid, get f' d" chant would be lightly shouted followed by lots of laughing. Anyways, I loved the video and it really captured the excitement of Idol's live show at the time. Outrageous outfits, Billy grinding on the female keyboard player, Steve Stevens in full ray-gun effect, etc... I still really like this and I admit, I enjoy it better than Tommy James.

Bobby Buckshot, ascot and Surly like this.
  14. Juggsnelson

Julio Iglesias & Willie Nelson
    To All the Girls I Loved Before/I Don't Want to Wake You
    [​IMG]
    This interesting pairing hit #5 USA and #17 UK in 1984. Written by Albert Hammond and produced by Richard Perry...not too shabby. Julio's English is a bit spotty but he sounds great. Is it just me, or Does the lyric come off as a bit of a brag-fest? Trivia: The only "popular" LP my Grandma owned was 1100 Bel Air Place! I didn't hear her listen to it much though. I love how Julio sports Willie's bandana on the sleeve....a nice sense of humor. On a cruise during karaoke hour, I once saw a guy literally do a split personality performance of this song. He not only sang each part perfectly, he even adopted their mannerisms. I may have been the only one who was impressed.

15. Juggsnelson

Julio Iglesias & Stevie Wonder
    My Love/Words and Music
    UK ISSUE
    [​IMG]
    This was a big hit in the UK hitting #5 in 1988. In the USA it only reached #80. Not bad but not overly inspiring. Some nice Stevie harmonica, a pleasant melody and not much else.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  16. Juggsnelson

The Impressions-It's All Right/You'll Want Me Back
    [​IMG]
    The highest charting single of the group's career, it peaked at #4 USA in 1963. Written by Curtis Mayfield, it has a nice shuffle to it. Curtis and the guys sound sweet as can be. The song is in no hurry and that is its charm for me. No panic, no bluster, just smooth as silk. I would be remiss to not mention the killer percussion. On fire and at odds with the rest of the relaxed feel of the track.

billnunan, Mylene and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  17. Grant

I was! I lived through, and grew up with the original. I hated that the Idol remake was in a lower key.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  18. Grant

This is their most popular song. I never understood its appeal. There are lots of Impressions songs I like way more than this one, like "Gypsy Woman", "Keep On Pushing", "People Get Ready", Sad Sad Girl And Boy", "Meeting Over Yonder", "Fool For You Anyway", and many others. But this one? Baaaah!

Juggsnelson likes this.
  19. Juggsnelson

I like it but I totally get your point. Many of those 45's you mentioned are on deck!! It is good but nothing earth shattering in my mind either....was it a slow week??

Grant likes this.
  20. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I bought and preferred his earlier studio version but I'm obviously in the minority since it didn't even make the Hot 100.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  21. Juggsnelson

Billy was a bigger star when the "live" version came out so that must have helped sales. Great video too!

22. Juggsnelson

The Impressions- Talking About My Baby/Never Too Much Love
    This hit #12 USA in 1964.
    Right from the guitar intro, you know this is great. Great drums too. Curtis is in great voice, but this track showcases the whole ensemble. And it sounds killer.
    [​IMG]

23. Juggsnelson

The Impressions-I'm So Proud/I Made a Mistake
    This hit #14 USA in 1964. Another Curtis Mayfield composition, this track is noticeably slower than previous singles. It almost harkens back to the 50's. Nice arrangement and a perfectly subdued accompaniment.
    [​IMG]

24. Juggsnelson

The Impressions-Keep on Pushing/I Love You
    This track hit #10 in the USA in 1964.
    Bit of trivia: This LP is featured on the cover of Dylan's Bringing It All Back Home.
    Another song written by the extremely prolific Mayfield. A strong message for the times for sure. A sweet bass line and Some sharp guitar play accent the fine vocal.
    [​IMG]

25. Grant

This was always one of my favorites!

@realgoneguy It would be nice to have an Impressions mono singles collection. Hint! Hint!

Juggsnelson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.