So what have you been listening to in 2003

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aashton, Jan 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aashton

aashton Here for the waters... Thread Starter

Well today got off to a late start- I slept the sleep of a thousand very sleepy things :) A couple of cups of tea later and I will still sitting there like Mr.Zombie the rep from Zombies 'R Us - then like a coiled spring a thought came into my mind - time for some music :D

First up was Respighi - Pines or Rome then Yes - Time and a Word a swift follow up with Paul Simon - Paul Simon and now it's The Chemical Brothers - Come with Us. She who must be obeyed has requested we watch a couple of films (movies) next so Cats and Dogs it is.

All the best - Andrew

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Last night, I listened to Guy Lombardo's Curb GH CD. It is definitely an audiophile quality CD at a budget price featuring approximately a dozen of his Capitol recordings including the hi-fi remake of Auld Lang Syne that is commonly heard these days.

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

For some reason, Kate Bush has made a resurgence in my musical life. British copies of LPs and CDs have been "endlessly" repeating in the car or in the listening room, as the case may be. The sound quality is far superior to Canadian copies.

The Hounds of Love has some very interesting tracks.

Then there is Springsteen, Tom Petty, Sum 41, classical SACDs and a few others....

4. Bill Pafford

Bill Pafford Hyperactive!

Last night we closed out the old year listening to the new Poco CD, Running Horse. I thought I would start today off a little on the mellow side with Poco's Rose of Cimarron. I then worked my way through both the James Taylor October Road discs. Now I'm about half way through Ozark Mountain Daredevil's Time Warp.

If that slight headache that is lingering behind my eyeballs goes away, I might just work my way into some Grand Funk Phoenix, James Gang 2001 Comeback Special and JoJoGunne's first two CD's from Rhino Handmade.

5. GregY

GregY New Member

I'm going to start off my 2003 with Mr. Bob Dylan's Blonde on Blonde.

6. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

A coincidence? I listened to the Paul Simon about two hours into the new year! Then Elvis Is Back! and Imagine - Eva Cassidy finishing off with Michael Franks - The Art Of Tea ;) (an early WEA and a great recording).

7. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

I am listening to the sound of my son blowing his nose.

8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the first song i played today was john lennon, live 'come together' from the lennon box.

9. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

In my stack for New Years day I have:

Marianne Faithful - Kissin' Time
    Gary Moore - Scars
    Bob Dylan - Guildhall, Portsouth, England (Sept. 24/00)
    Granada - Takes a Lot of Walking
    Lambchop - Is a Woman
    Bill Evans Trio - Sunday at the Village Vanguard

Cheers,
    Chris

10. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Since Joe Strummer's passing I've been playing The Clash pretty heavily, with London Calling looping in the car, and From Here To Eternity at home. I'm also reading the bio Return Of The Last Gang In Town. It's a shame, sometimes it takes a loss to remind you how much you appreciate something.

11. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

First stuff I heard this year was on the Dick Clark's rockin' eve show on ABC. I was at my sister's house and they had it on. I heard a bunch of r&B/rap stuff that I didn't know or care about. Nelly isn't bad. But the bright spots were Rod Stewart singing tunes from his new album, which I now plan to buy ASAP! Dobie Gray sang "Drift Away" with some current artist.

Then, driving home, I had Billy Joel's "Storm Front" CD playing in the car.

When I got home, I started a new LP to CD transfer of Three Dog Night's "Cyan" album.

12. Tomcw

Tomcw Forum Resident

First, corks popping,
    then, some giggling,
    later, soft moaning,
    now, quiet snoring.

Happy New Year!

13. snowman

snowman Forum Resident

I popped in Steve Winwood - Refugee's of the Heart .

14. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Not Winwood here, but Traffic's Far From Home and currently, Genesis' Lamb.

15. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

So far today:

DCC Art Pepper Intensity
    DCC Cannonball Adderley "You Know What I Mean?"

while watching the LSU game , The Penn State Game and spending time
    on the Forum.

Looks like Texas has the game wrapped up!

16. Mike

Mike New Member

Today I put on The Curtom Story on Charly. Anyone lucky enough to find one of these should buy asap. It is the only cd (according to my research) that has the Mayfield Singers version of I've Been Trying - worth the price of admission alone, and that's just the tip of the iceberg! :D

17. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

First song I played in 2003 was "Eight Days A Week". I just felt like hearing something cheerful this morning.

18. davef

davef Senior Member

Curved Air 2nd album is playing at the moment...

19. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

College Footbal!!!!!!!

My poor Tigers... Played well though.

20. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Recently upgraded my turntable from a Rega P3 to a P25 w/a Clearaudio Virtuoso cartridge.My CD player has been getting a rest.So far today it's been the British Help and Richard Thompson's Mock Tudor.Happy New Year!

21. Loud Listener

Loud Listener Forum Resident

Frankenbeatle!

I mean Frank Sinatra and the Beatles! MFSL LPs for both!

22. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

Complete Capitol Four Freshmen Fifties Sessions-Needed something to sooth the head...
    Peter Gabriel-Up
    Chopin-Sonata
    U2 Best of 1990-2000 B Sides
    Dinah Krall-Look of Love SACD
    Best O' Boingo

more to come through the day i am sure..happy new years all...

23. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

With a 2 and 5 year old, I'm currently listening to Disney's "Lady and the Tramp".

:)

HZ

24. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

What are they listening to? :angel:

25. sgb

sgb Senior Member

One of the CDs I got for $1.50 at the CD Warehouse "going out of business sale" yesterday is from the EMI Legendary Masters series, Julie Is Her Name, Volumes 1 & 2.

I probably would have ignored this one if I couldn't have bought it for a buck-fifty, but I have to say that the sound quality on this one is truly astonishing! Not perfect, mind you, but, IMO, better sounding than any Universal or Analogue Productions SACD I have bought yet.

This is OOP in the USA, but I saw a Japanese import version for sale at one of the web sites for $34.99. Seems to me that Audio Fidelity ought to be getting hold of this one for Steve to remaster as an SACD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.